Caribou Gear

What would you do?

----

Confession time.

You're driving down a forest service road after a long day's hunt, when you notice a GPS sitting in a pullout. You hop out to check it out. No name or phone number written on it. You saw a lot of other guys hunting in the area earlier in the day, but don't have anyway of knowing where they are, who they are, who lost it, or how to get ahold of them.

While scrolling through the GPS, you realize it's full of waypoints, all on public land, and all with descriptions like 'big whitetail hidey hole', '6x7 sheds', etc.

No judgement, what do you do?

I would look very carefully for clues as to the owner. For example, perhaps one of the waypoints is "home." I would look carefully to make sure at each and every waypoint for this purpose. ;)

Trade it to Ben Lamb for his new Shark.

Trade it to Ben Lamb for a thorough cleaning of your house with his new Shark.

I'd make a real honest attempt to find the rightful owner. After I familiarized myself with some of the shed hunting spots.:)

You might try sticking a sign or something where you found it with your contact info when they come back looking for it. Have them describe it for you with some of the waypoint names etc.

I agree, each and every waypoint must be checked to help get it back to its rightful owner. In fact some may be important enough to right down the coordinates......just in case it would help lead you to the owner.

All jokes aside, the dumb@$$ left it in the open. I would definitely take a look and see if it was a place to check out. Its a Freudian slip as far as I'm concerned. It's almost like he wants you to know. I suppose its deffinately on the unethical side possibly but its no different than if he let some information slip in a conversation. Good luck with the decision, your a better man than I am just for wondering what to do.

Geralds sign idea is probably the easiest and best to get it back to him.

Last edited:
If I found that GPS, I'd call my buddy Randy11 and ask him if he wants his GPS back.

Before I answer this trap question, I need to go verify that my GPS has my name on it!

Following Ben Longs advise, I would plot the points into a paper map, which may help you triangulate back to the (former) owners address?

Seriously, a serial number might possibly be registered for warranty purposes. You many be able to track down the rightful owner this way.

Gerald's advise on the signage at the recovery point is solid.

If your able to track him down some way, I'm sure the guy will make it worth your time. I'd just post it up on a few forums and wait a couple weeks, if not I guess it's yours. It's not that enticing though because you know that at least one person already knows about those spots on that GPS.

It always feels pretty sweet when you pick a draw on google earth yourself and it turns into a good spot.

Make every possible effort to try and find the rightful owner, warranty registration, a home waypoint or just see if anyone chimes in on a forum.

If you can establish the rightful owner by having him/her verify some key points inform them you would like a $500 gift card to Double Front in exchange for your honesty, and if they don't comply let them know you will post every waypoint to the internet for all the world to see.

YUCK! I would be interested in the intel the original owner of the GPS developed - no doubt. I would do everything to find the owner.

The hard response... I would not work any specific honey hole area though I would use the information and combine it with my own to learn of areas around and migratory potential routing, etc. If found where I typically hunt... Yup, I would use the general info though hold sacred any areas specifically marked as his special locations.

I had something similar happened to me. Mine was not on the mountain but I found a Garmen rihno sitting next to a tree on a lawn I was mowing. I was mowing in an apartment complex. The Garmen was surrounded by kids toys and a diaper which was kind of weird. I assume that some kid grabbed their dads GPS and took it outside. Instead of just leaving it to get watered by the sprinkler system I took it but what I did was I wrote a note on the group mailbox for the apartment complex that I had found the GPS and to call me to verify. I never heard from anybody. I've always felt a little bad about it but thought it would've just gotten ruined or hit by the mower eventually. I tried to do the right thing.
I say do what you can to find the rightful owner. You'd hope for the same if you lost something.

I guess we will know what you decided when you post your 6x7 next year!;)

I'de do what you are basically trying to do and try to find the owners on some hunting forums. I think I'de be tempted to check their waypoints but karma is a mofo. Finding your own places in general units is more than half the fun anyway. But seeing if there are some waypoints to check out in a once (or twice?) in a lifetime Montana bitterroot mule deer tag couldn't hurt, could it???:confused:

I'm going to have to rename my waypoints to "nothing here," "skunked," "dead Holstein," etc.

It could have easily fell out of his pickup truck when he got in or out of his rig. I've had it happen before but was able to go back and find it in the snow. I think putting up a small post at the trailhead would be the best way to find the owner. After I dropped mine I make sure to only have the waypoints I need for the area I'll be hunting that day/week.

I would have a little fun and change all of the names to stripper names and then give it to your wife. :) Hope you find it Randy.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back