What will you never take for granted again?

Travelling and Couch surfing with friends along the way.

unlike my sisters on the forum ( hunting wife and mtelkhuntress ) I am not introverted and thanks to my father who always said "tomorrow is promised to no-one , so live today to the fullest " I adopted Tim MaGraws song "live like you were dying" as mine.

But-- although I hear the words in Tim's song , my body is no longer able to respond and I miss skiing, drag racing, sailing, hunting, dancing, horseback riding, fishing, wine & cheese, and watching men, watch me------o.k. that last one stoped happening probably 40 years again when I was 50 o_O

But in the spirit of this thread, my husband. We lived a very full life together but when he passed it left a large hole in my life and my heart, so If possible, I wish we had created even more memories than we did, as those memories are what I think about the most at this stage of my life.

The one thing I have noticed on this forum is that the forum has a lot of good--hands-on-- fathers and grandfathers. You will not regret the time you spend with your children and grandchildren---nor will they!

If COVID or anything else for that matter killed me today, the last thing that would go through my head would be standing over my 18 y/o first Shiras moose when she was 13. my 15 y/o overcoming her gun shyness and finally pulling the trigger on her first Tom this spring. Watching my 11 y/o get her first buck this fall, still in disbelief she “got him”. Those moments got us through this year, I’m positive those are the moments they will remember about us and I’ve never taken that for granted. No government and no person has the right to take them, they belong to us and we will continue to make them. For me, it’s what makes life worth living.

Last edited:
That scientists could create a vaccine so freaking fast and bring an end to the introvert utopia. I had the best excuse to escape social events, but it has a shelf life.

Granted, things suck for most everyone else, so I’ll refrain from wishing that the social restrictions were permanent.

Sitting here watching NFL highlights and it got me to thinking. I used to take for granted being able to be in a crowd of fans on Sunday afternoon. What will you never take for granted again once this pandemic is behind us?
Life.
2012 quadriplegic. 2020 dragging sled into the Bob.

Covid related: I'm not family oriented except out of respect for my wife's family. She'd like to spend Christmas with the usual entire family gathering... and for that, I've found an appreciation for such as well.

The ability to book an international hunting trip and go.

And I am tired of the ambiguity around handshakes that now exists.

I have attempted to never take anything for granted. During the 1950s i left a tiny ranching town by Greyhound bus to attend a university 800 miles away. Two teachers helped me get a scholarship or I never could have afforded it. Still always had a job while in college Because never took anything for granted. Been lucky in the business world and have shared with my family. Every year,until this one, have hunted the Worlds wild places, do not play golf or tennis. So happy i took my sister and her husband for six weeks around safari Africa. Their trip of a life time if I had waited they would not have made it. He passed on and she joined him two weeks ago, after a short battle with COVID-19.
I try to share and take nothing for granted I have been a very, very lucky man.

I notice that several of you are not unhappy with this years "social distancing" rules.

When social distancing is no longer required, you might want to consider making a move;)

We have 70000 moose and 200,000 caribou but only 40000 people in 185000 sq miles and 25000 of those 40000 live in Whitehorse, which I do not, so social distancing has also not affected us, at least in our daily life.

I had an ice accident ( fell thru ) a few years ago and surviving that gave me an entirely new view of my life, my life with my family and the blessings that have been given to me.

It truly did change my life, for the better and I have viewed things much differently since that time. I dont take my life for granted, as I now realize how easily and quickly it could end. And the added plus, is I stop sometimes and look, REALLY look at a beautiful sunset/sunrise, grizzly cubs playing, a smile from a family member. I try to take nothing for granted.

I notice that several of you are not unhappy with this years "social distancing" rules.

When social distancing is no longer required, you might want to consider making a move;)

We have 70000 moose and 200,000 caribou but only 40000 people in 185000 sq miles and 25000 of those 40000 live in Whitehorse, which I do not, so social distancing has also not affected us, at least in our daily life.

I had an ice accident ( fell thru ) a few years ago and surviving that gave me an entirely new view of my life, my life with my family and the blessings that have been given to me.

It truly did change my life, for the better and I have viewed things much differently since that time. I dont take my life for granted, as I now realize how easily and quickly it could end. And the added plus, is I stop sometimes and look, REALLY look at a beautiful sunset/sunrise, grizzly cubs playing, a smile from a family member. I try to take nothing for granted.
I see Nunavit lost its first two people to COVID over the weekend. They never had a case till Nov 7. Both communities were infected by two travelers and lack of quarantine.

Being alive. I hadn’t really cared whether I lived or died in over a decade until my daughter was born in October. Now I want to live as long as I can to see her grow and I’m actually scared of dying and breaking her heart someday.

And to lighten my post, being able to go hunting, camping or whatever else I wanted whenever I wanted before marriage, covid and a child.

My CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to not wear a GD mask!

Hugs. Definitely hugs. Beers with buddies. Tailgate sessions after chukars. Calling 3 or 4 guys to come over and drink and cut up a critter or make some sausage. Game night. In person work lunchroom conversations.

I’m just hoping that when they finally force us back to the office I spend a lot less time in the bathroom thinking to myself, “did that guy really just not wash his hands?”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back