What will you never take for granted again?

That I will never be alone in the woods ever again. Have places that only a damn fool would hunt due to extreme conditions getting in and out. Have found more evidence that I was not the only hunter deep in these hell holes. Oh well, good ‘nuff as if I have a heart attack or place my step wrong in a ravine, possibly someone will find my bones.
Guess the best I can hope for is someone hunting my haunts and will carry out their trash as has been my mantra these many years.
Take nothing for granted. This ain’t the world of the mountain men.
Do not take a flight from Anchorage to King Salmon on a clear day. You will never be the same again ... until you come back.

Who cares if no one finds your bones? Will it make a difference? Dead is dead.

Do not take a flight from Anchorage to King Salmon on a clear day. You will never be the same again ... until you come back.

Who cares if no one finds your bones? Will it make a difference? Dead is dead.
Quite frankly no, does not matter other than my wife of nearly fifty years will mourn my absence and not knowing where my remains rest. My only hope is that my spot be peaceful and range with critters. Yes, dead is dead. I do not fear it as my time has and will continue be an adventure. MTG

I will never take for granted being able to get together with all my family at a weekend party. We used to get together every few weeks for a barbeque or whatever.
My wife's family has been doing Zoom calls every few weeks lately but it's just not the same.
We haven't seen any of them in person since last Christmas. :(

The value of friends and their friendship.

Over the last two weeks, so many of our friends and neighbors have learned we are dealing with COVID. The doorbell has rang many times, with Mrs. Fin going to the porch to retrieve something delivered by a friend or neighbor. Pumpkin pies, homemade chicken soup, specialty breads, some candy, the driveway being cleared of snow, and some other things I probably forgot in my C-19 fog.

With each of these acts of kindness I reflect on how special our human capacity for care and compassion. It causes me to look at how much kindness is shared on a daily basis and compare to the venom seemingly present in how we interact on social media. When we are humans, neighbors, and friends, rather than an anonymous person on the other end of a computer monitor, any differences we might have never seem to matter.

It is very humbling and reminding of the Christmas spirit to receive so much kindness from so many people. As Mrs. Fin said earlier today as she unbagged a small delivery from our friend and physical therapist, "We are so lucky." Yes, we are extremely lucky, blessed in so many ways.

And to the point of the original post, I'd like to think I have never taken for granted the many wonderful friends we have. Times like this sure make it easier to reflect on my appreciation for the value of friends and how much happiness we can all bring to the lives of others.

approx 2/3rds of those who have tried it, have made it. Extreme cold, Isolation, too much darkness, too much daylight, no Walmart ;)

p.s. I thought you guys might find this interesting as well. Approx 40% of the "farmers" up here are females. Another interesting tid bit, approx 90% of those who decided the far north was not for them were male.
Is it true that the 90% of the male's that failed were just giving into their other halves that missed Walmart? :LOL:

To the original question, is has to be family and friends, our son and his future wife were due to visit for Christmas, it never happened, his county was locked down by the government days before.
We did get to see our friends, but only in an outside environment...I hope 2021 is better for all of us

Last edited:
I will never take for granted the pretty smile of a waitress or a cashier once this pandemic is over. Those masks hide that.

Haven't seen family for over a year. Typically only visit once or twice a year but with elderly parents its tough.
I believe it is our social responsibility to do what we can to protect ourselves and others...mask is easy. But I really do miss reading people by their facial expressions.

Life in general and my constitutional rights. If yer unwilling to fight and defend any of it, you are likely to lose it.

I grew up in a pretty rural area of Missouri (maybe three other houses within eyesight), so honestly the isolation isn't new for me. What's sort of ironic is that I've lived in San Francisco for almost 20 years and also love that energy.

With that said, it's been almost two years since I've seen my family back home. With how things are going it'll likely be close to three years before it'll be safe for me to fly back and visit. I've never taken that for granted but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them.

I also really miss the gym.

Time spent with loved ones. My grandpa was in many ways a hero to me, worked his ass off all his life, was generous and would give someone the shirt of his back if they needed it. He spent a lot of time taking me out fishing and shooting gophers as a kid and we did a lot of pheasant and coyote hunting. The last few years with his knees and back wore out he'd either watch from the pickup or wait for me to stop by with pheasants, deer or fish in the truck and come out to see them before we'd go inside for a pop and card game. I lost him in early November to Covid, I'd give every cent I have to go on one more hunt with him or just sit down and talk for an hour.

Crossing the Canadian border to go pike fishing. Been doing it since I was about 12. Over 30 years. Didn't realize how much I love the freedom to go explore the Ontario bush.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back