MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What state is the most WELCOMING to hunters?

Haha! Montana about 5 years back - ran into some hunters from Washington who said their second day at camp a truck pulled up, an old timer stepped out (MT plates) and politely informed them they were camped in his spot. He continued to politely explain if they were not gone by the next day their camp would be burned down.

Needless to say they left. Didn't want to destroy their hunting trip over some fight about a camp location. They reported it... We had space at our area and they completed their hunt... Interesting enough, they got an elk - my partner and I did not - though assisted in packing theirs out... Guess I still have not learned. (Easy on the smackdown, tjones... :D HAHA!) In the end - a good time with a couple new friends gained.

Try Axis Deer on one of the Hawaiian Islands ! Just don't act like a Howly and you'll have neighbors come out and help you dress and cut your buck !

Eagle,colorado was where I would say,The folks at the old hardware store bend over backwards to welcome ya there!!

Eagle used to be hunter friendly, especially if you bought gas or had a meal, but word is now it isn't as good as in years past. Getting too commercialized and too much money flowing into town. I guess Aspen is running out of room.

Douglas, WY

My nephew and I stopped In Douglas for fuel and lunch enroute to Denver after our antelope hunt. Paid up and found three locals standing beside the truck waiting for us to come out to find out how we did and to check out what all we had in our box of MRE's. Couldn't ask for more friendly and cordial reception than that. We BSed for 40 minutes and left richer for the experience; that in spite of the fact that we were running Texas tags on the truck. Maybe they were just happy to see us leaving!!

In addition said:
Here's a belated "Stay the heck out of our state and away from our elk!" ;)

I've only hunted outside of AZ once--Colorado (Rico/Dolores) this year for archery elk OTC. The folks were nice (I wouldn't say helpful) but the elk were very rude.

Just about every hunter I met was from out of state, too.

I meet nice people everywhere. I've always considered Texans to be the most generally friendly. When we first started to develope some ties to Montana we found people to be welcoming, helpful and friendly. We bought a house in Moore and found our neighbors to be wonderful. Robert Thompson (deceased) mowed our grass with his rider when he saw me struggling with my push mower, Mary Bricker keeps an eye on our place when we are gone. Harley lets me grind hamburger with his machine when I have meat. Bill Berg at the CMR Refuge Headquarters in Lewistown showed me where to go to get my first whitetail buck and fill my cow tag. Its funny, the least friendly/helpful people are the ones at FWP. They hand out maps, but don't want to talk if they don't have to. Hmmm.

Id like to second hotchkiss Colorado and nearby Paonia awsome folks, down to earth and very sincere and friendly, and the local dow officer is a hell of a nice guy also.

I've never had a problem with any place that I have hunted. Either I have been really lucky and haven't ran into any douche bags yet. Knocking on wood that it doesn't happen. I will have to say that AZ seems to have the most friendly hunters around though. They always seem to want to chat about your hunt and are willing to talk about where they have seen game in the past.

I have been treated good most places Minn,and WY had nice people.South Carolina is where I lived a couple years the hunting sucked and some of the people did too.I asked my boss if I could deer hunt on his little farm and he told me no because he didnt want his cattle to get shot accidently,What the F#@k I am from Wisconsin the Dairy land I knew what a cow looked like.The folks in my state seem to treat out of state hunters good as long as you dont ask for permmision to hunt or come from illinos.As long as I can remember no one liked hunters from illinois and always referd to them as FIBS (F#@king Illinos Bas@#ds.Its crazy

I have been treated good most places Minn,and WY had nice people.South Carolina is where I lived a couple years the hunting sucked and some of the people did too.I asked my boss if I could deer hunt on his little farm and he told me no because he didnt want his cattle to get shot accidently,What the F#@k I am from Wisconsin the Dairy land I knew what a cow looked like.The folks in my state seem to treat out of state hunters good as long as you dont ask for permmision to hunt or come from illinos.As long as I can remember no one liked hunters from illinois and always referd to them as FIBS (F#@king Illinos Bas@#ds.Its crazy

Got the same answer when asking permission to dove hunt in SE Kansas some years back.
If I can' tell the difference in a cow and a dove then I guess I'm for sure in the wrong place.. As for the FIBS; your government is now full of them, Chicago style.

I'm one of the WA hunters that invades MT in the fall. I haven't met a business owner yet that wasn't great to deal with. Have never had a bad experience with locals, but we don't generally see many hunters where we go anyway.

YES,I'e seen the changes there!! don't like them neither!! all the big shots building thier million dollar mansions,gobbling up the winter habitat its sickening!!I don't see it except going to and from getting supplies and thats enough for me!!and thier the same folks that belong to the earth first groups,seirra clubs,PETA and so on! !KINDA HYPOCRITICAL !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back