What should we hunt and film?

Then you need to watch On Your Own Adventures. :D:D:D

Season 1 - Iowa and Kansas whitetails. Didn't shoot anything until after the cameras had left. Big time struggles. Nevada mule deer - No deer

Season 2 - Nevada elk - no elk. Alaska bear - no bear

Season 3 - Montana archery elk - no elk. Colorado rifle elk - no elk.

We aren't afraid to show a "No kill" episode. Been averaging about two a year. Just need to have enough footage and story line to make for a compelling episode that viewers want to watch.

You better get a Tractor and some seed! LOL John

I have never taken a Montana snipe. Are they larger than Idaho snipe? Any pics?

Oh yea! This little honey hole I've got has produced some B&C beaks. They'll go 4-6 inches. Archery is real difficult unless you're within a couple yards but good luck with that.:D

Dang I wish I wouldn't have posted that now...oh well. Sorry for my ignorance!! I have the season 1 DVD set, but Direct TV isn't kind enough to give me the Outdoor channel. So I won't get to see season 2 until I buy it from you. I will make that order now. I really enjoyed the Nevada episode, that might be my favorite one yet. I've been bowhunting for three years and have had a handfull of animals under forty yards and have not yet been able to seal the deal. So I related to that episode big time. In all of the opportunities, I've only had a broadside opportunity once at a lope from 27 yards. IT was a GIMME shot with the lope drinking water. That arrow deflected off of the bottom of my blind window...haunts me to this day. Had I positioned my self a half inch higher I'm confident I would have been successful.

You need to come to AZ and do an OTC coues whitetail hunt. Leftover tags are the epitomy of OYOA. Youll love it and it would be a nice mix to the Northern hunts!

You need to come to AZ and do an OTC coues whitetail hunt. Leftover tags are the epitomy of OYOA. Youll love it and it would be a nice mix to the Northern hunts!

That is on the list for Season Four. It depends upon the dates we would be able to do it.

Part of what we are up against, in addition to drawing tags, is the schedule. Schedules of overlapping hunts and scheduling of cameras. Unlike me, these camera guys have other lives. Their wives enjoy their presence, their children actually enjoy interacting with them, and they are in demand for other shows and productions who pay more and don't ask them to sleep in cold tents and eat bad meals.

There are a few animals and places that have been high on my "gotta do list" for many years, even before I started the TV gig.

Coues Whitetails in Arizona
Sitka Blacktails in SE Alaska
Columbia Blacktails in CA/OR/WA
Roosevelt elk in OR/WA
Caribou in Alaska
Oryx, Ibex, and Aoudad in New Mexico
Free range bison in AK/UT/MT

But those never seem to make it on my calendar due to conflicting schedules and other hunts that were very hard to draw. I expect to cross one of those off the list in Season Four. I suspect it will be one of the first two.

I don't have a boner except for a Bou or sitka's in AK. If you decide to do those and need someone that doesn't drink, is good on camera, might fart in a tent, pulls practical jokes and likes giving hugs... I'm yer man, I could buy a plane ticket and tag today if you need :)

If yu want to do it off camera and jsut hunt for fun for a change, I'm even more your man .

I think a moose hunt on the cheap in AK would be an excellent show. Most guys don't realize how expensive a DIY moose hunt can get, when you factor in bush flights, meat hauls, meat processing, and just getting gear to AK. You could easily do a show just on the planning aspect of that one too.

A mountain backpack caribou hunt would interesting, starting from the road system. A tundra hunt where hundreds of bou are running by has been done before and is about as interesting as watching a turkey hunt.

A trophy Sitka Blacktail hunt in SE AK would be an excellent show, starting from sea level. I've seen a few Sitka Blacktail shows, but all of the bucks I've seen taken were dinks. A B&C Sitka on public land with a relatively inexpensive tag is still a good possibility in certain parts of SE AK. Holding out for a big Sitka would make for an excellent show.

A trophy Sitka Blacktail hunt in SE AK would be an excellent show, starting from sea level. I've seen a few Sitka Blacktail shows, but all of the bucks I've seen taken were dinks. A B&C Sitka on public land with a relatively inexpensive tag is still a good possibility in certain parts of SE AK. Holding out for a big Sitka would make for an excellent show.

Sssshhhh! Don't be telling everyone.

Nice to know at least one person would watch it, besides me. ;)

That didn't stop you from having IDBugler on your show ;)
That's why I like hunting with Randy. He can't drink beer so I get his and he brings camera guys that work at a brewery that makes the good stuff.

There are a few animals and places that have been high on my "gotta do list" for many years, even before I started the TV gig.

Coues Whitetails in Arizona
Sitka Blacktails in SE Alaska
Columbia Blacktails in CA/OR/WA
Roosevelt elk in OR/WA
Caribou in Alaska
Oryx, Ibex, and Aoudad in New Mexico
Free range bison in AK/UT/MT
I think you stole my list Randy. I'll be crossing off the top one within the next few years hopefully. My all time #1 thing to do is go caribou hunting..... Someday.... :rolleyes:

Back to what would be cool to watch. I'm with everyone on the Alaska OYOA moose/caribou hunt. That would be great TV.

Don't forget the Guy that posted he was looking for somebody to drive up there pulling a Bog Buggy. I think he said it would only take a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John

My all time #1 thing to do is go caribou hunting..... Someday.... :rolleyes:

I'm with everyone on the Alaska OYOA moose/caribou hunt.

20 or 21 months and I'll be headed back up that way. Could always use another packer.:D Gotta warn ya though, I aint as keen on 'dutch ovens' as Moosie is.

AK spring black bear
AK Sitka blacktail
AZ or NM pronghorn
UT pronghorn
AZ elk
WY or MT deer
WY or NM elk
CO elk
UT elk (one of DP's tags ;) )
AZ Coues deer

Scrap an elk hunt if you end up with a moose/sheep/goat hunt...

Just curious, do you put in for WA or OR elk? I don't remember ever seeing any shows up that way. There might be a reason for that, but I don't know that much about the hunting over there.

AK spring black bear
AK Sitka blacktail
AZ or NM pronghorn
UT pronghorn
AZ elk
WY or MT deer
WY or NM elk
CO elk
UT elk (one of DP's tags ;) )
AZ Coues deer

Scrap an elk hunt if you end up with a moose/sheep/goat hunt...

Oak - You been reading my mail, or what?

AK Sitka blacktail - working on the details. Ready to go, if I don't have a special draw hunt that interferes.

AZ or NM pronghorn - Should have AZ archery, if the tag odds don't change too much from last year. NM is probably out of the question, having drawn first choice last year and third choice the year before. Thinking the well is dry by now.

UT pronghorn - Me and a small handful of other guys have max points, so I see one of the bonus point tags coming my way.

AZ elk - I have enough points to draw, and should, unless the tag odds move a lot from what they were in that unit last year.

WY or MT deer - Max WY points, but that doesn't seem to help me. If not, I have MT deer tag as a guarantee.

WY or NM elk - Have enough WY points if odds don't change from last year. NM is pretty slim, but I am applying for first archery season, which has way better odds.

CO elk - Yup, already booked. OTC tag for Third Rifle season.

UT elk (one of DP's tags ;) ) - With 3 points in the draw, probably ain't happening, so my best hope is one of DP's tags..

AZ Coues deer - Dream hunt. Wonder if I will draw with only 5 points.

I need at least 10 hunts, so if those don't work, I am applying for Kansas whitetail and North Dakota mule deer, hoping they will be fall back hunts.

Really want to do Idaho deer some year, but I am always on the road with limited entry hunts when the ID general season is open. Maybe I will luck out and draw a tag in ID this year. I have bought 15 NR licenses since 1996, and have yet to draw a tag in ID. This is my year.

Hunt number 10 is Montana archery. Chop-chop-chop-chop-chop-chop :D Can't wait for that one.

Did you decide against the Alaska bear this year? Any reason why MT bear hasn't been on the schedule the last couple of years?
Does the new channel have input, or pressure you for any turkey episodes?

Last edited:
Did you decide against the Alaska bear this year? Any reason why MT bear hasn't been on the schedule the last couple of years?
Does the new channel have input, or pressure you for any turkey episodes?

Heading to AK on May 3rd. Can't wait to chase more black bears. This time will be calling with predator calls. That should add some excitement.

MT bear is one of the "fall back" hunts. Not neglecting it, but just trying to not get in a rut of the same hunt in the same areas, every year. With a few exceptions, due to drawing amazing tags, we have tried to move it around by state, species, and weapons type.

The new channel wants me to do what the viewers want. They are very supportive of everything we are doing, so it is pretty much a "Do what you think is best" approach from them.

No pressure for turkey episodes. No offense to the turkey nuts, but I am not a good guy to do turkey episodes, so you probably won't see any. Plenty of those already on the air, from guys who forgot more about turkey hunting than I could ever hope to know.

Most our sponsors see us as a reach to the person currently hunting the west, or wanting to learn how to hunt the west. With that, I expect we will continue heavy in the western big game arena. Tough duty, I know. ;)

I like the elk and mule deer shows, especially with rifles. I find the whitetail and turkey shows boring, although I love to hunt whitetails and turkey.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back