What should we hunt and film?

The line-up looks exciting. Hope it will be as fun to do as it will be to watch.

Predator calling bears in Alaska:eek: I just pooped my pants. I'm thinking those animals have enough desire to eat someone without calling them to dinner. I'd make a great camp cook on a trip like that:D

Fin,I tried predator calling here in Mn.I instantly had about 50 ravens and 20 magpies in my tree above me.Hope it works better for you.

Really want to do Idaho deer some year, but I am always on the road with limited entry hunts when the ID general season is open. Maybe I will luck out and draw a tag in ID this year. I have bought 15 NR licenses since 1996, and have yet to draw a tag in ID. This is my year.

Don't feel bad I've been putting in as a resident since I was 12 for an Antelope tag where I grew up and have never drawn. The only CH deer tag I ever drew was for a doe and that was a second chance drawing after I found out I wouldn't be able to hunt the general. I have had some good draws for elk and I hope to get a moose tag this year but we'll see.

My Two Cents:
No Caribou..to many on now, most of us can't get there, the meat sucks, and actually it's to easy.
Concentrate on the hunt IE: topography, access, tracking, scouting and method.(thats what makes OYOA different and enjoyable.
Cours Deer, Sitka Deer, wild hog etc are something you do to vary the content, content can be varied by location, approach to hunt, equipment, Randy is a super narrator and should keep it up.
One of the best shows is the Ram hunt where they find their target animal..dead. Well done, great lesson.
The non-high fence, no-bait, feed plot hunting is REAL hunting.
Just tweak what you have, the new demo is great. as for animals.
Non-Typical Whitetail search
Wide Mulie
One Bear would suffice
Two antelope two ways
Alaska is always done..if you do, do it as a giveway for a huge viewer magnet.
Hog hunting is to easy, mine was live capture..that was interesting.
Might do a show with a number of hunts at different properties and how you gained access IE: Montanas system?
Just a few ideas.

Randy

-Do the third AK informative show as a web episode, hopefully draw more people to the site.
- If you can do a caribou and moose in AK I would change the schedule to something like this.

-4 Elk hunts (1 archery)
-3 Mule Deer hunts (1 archery)
- Caribou
- Moose
- 2 antelope
- whitetail
- Black bear

The third archery hunt maybe the moose or antelope.
I also like the turkey episode. Some states have walk in land for turkey only in the spring, that would be fun to see.

This is a really good idea.

AK moose #1

All good ideas so far. One other thing I have to keep in mind is that it needs to be "achievable" by the traveling hunter. That usually means no hounds or no horses.!!!!!!!!
I am a traveling hunter with mules,,,does that have any weight????:hump: Travel the western states wherever we can get a tag! I know very few are into horses, but for me mule packing is the ultimate hunting adventure, but I'm in the minority. Still you have one of the best shows,, Ak Moose OYO is my ultimate hunt, would love to see the making of it. :hump:

I'll go with the AK moose too (OYO)! Dream hunt for sure.

Randy, do you know Levi Johnson up in Winnett? He has a couple cur's he's using to decoy coyotes in. I think that would make an awesome show. However, I know he's making videos and such already, so not sure if that would work for you or him?? I dont know that it fits in with what the TV people want though either??

Kodiak or POW Sitka Blacktail (You can throw in some fishing to add content)
CA or OR Blacktail
OR or WA Rosevelt Elk
AZ couse in Jan during the rut

I agree there are to many whitetail hunts on tv. I feel there are not enough rifle hunts. Personally speaking a couple muley hunts, a elk hunt or two, Wolf would be great if they open the season back up, spot and stalk bear hunts are a blast to watch as long as there is not alot of down time during the show. Hound hunting for cats is something that a traveling hunter can do with a guide. Alaska hunts are always awesome to watch as well as moose, goats, and sheep. That is if you can draw. Have you looked into any of the tags in Idaho? Alot are easy to get and very diverse terrain to hunt.

I'd like to see some air time spent on the "add ons" that many of use do when going on a hunt. Drop a sage grouse or two during an pronghorn hunt, pop a few pheasants, show a bit of fishing, etc. Doesn't need to be a whole lot of time, but I think it would be good to show some of all that is available OYOA...

What about a show that simply showed pre season scouting efforts?? I'd be all OVER that... maybe show some velvet bulls or you guys putting a trail cam up near a late summer wallow? Real easy to throw in a few minutes of fishing into that one too...

I like the ideas you have for the shows. It would be great to throw in a mtn goat or a good Alaska DIY hunt. I think an episode dedicated to the logistics of an Alaskan hunt would be great. I am tired of the just shoot them and grip-and-grin shows. Thats why I like OYOA because you show the parts like setting up camp, finding and getting in to the area you are going to hunt. I want to see more of the prep work of DIY and backcountry hunts.

Also I won't watch antelope hunts anymore with these guys that sit in blinds all day and shoot them at water holes. I love that every episode that I have seen you guys hunt antelope it ends being spot and stalk at some point. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see this season!

1. BC Goat or Sheep (understand the guide requirement) in backcountry
2. grizzly or black bear
3. Elk definitely (elk are never over rated)
4. Mule Deer
5. Anything in AK wold be cool, maybe Sitka deer
6. Done....antelope and whitetails can be left for the next season.

No ma doubt 2 or 5 bruin hunts would be good. All spot n stalk and some calling as well. I've called in a bit over 60 of them now and it do tend to get the juices flowing.

Coues for sure, My fav critter to hunt besides bruins. I totally loved guiding for Coues in Sonora and the glassing reminded me of glassing for bruins.

Lastly, yotes come next winter would be good for this kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back