What is everyone's go to bullet for elk?

I don't kill elk, but when I walk around an area I've convinced myself they live, I usually carry my 7rm with 160 grn accubonds going right at 3000 fps. The one time a bull accidentally got in front of one of them it worked very well.

180 gr TTSX in 300 WSM or 300 RUM - prefer 100 gr Shuttle-T broad head...

Randy, what powder do you use and how much of it? I shoot a 7mm with that 160 gr accubond.

I found that 61 grains of imr4831 is more accurate than 63 but my buddy's chrono said its only going 2780fps. According to the books that is little slow??

In my Ruger M77 338 Win the Nosler 250 Partition is a proven performer on Elk from 60 to 416 yards, Deer and prairie dogs. Plus it is accurate when I do my part it will be under an inch at a 100 yards. I have also loaded up some 210 partitions and older 225 Barnes X bullets. They also group very good but I have not used them on game yet. Been considering going to the 225 Grain Accubonds due to the better BC.
In my Model 700 in 300 H&H and Pre 64 Model 70 originally a 300 H&H now opened up to 300 Weatherby both shoot much better with the 180 Nosler Partition. I've tried the 180 Nosler BT and Accubond but the Partition is more consistent. Also both rifles handle the 200 grain Partition's very well.
There are many good bullets out there but the best bullet is the one that hits where your aiming. ;)
Dan

Randy, what powder do you use and how much of it? I shoot a 7mm with that 160 gr accubond.

I found that 61 grains of imr4831 is more accurate than 63 but my buddy's chrono said its only going 2780fps. According to the books that is little slow??

66 grains of rl22. I know even less about hand loading than I do elk hunting, but that's the load my brother came up with for my gun.

Out of my 30-06 it's 165 grain Federal Fusions. Out of my 300 win mag it's 180 grain Federal Power Shoks. Welcome to the site fellow Eastern Coloradan :D
John i had 180 grain Nosler Partition's loaded for my 30-06 on my recent elk hunt, they didn't make it across the pond with me so i had to buy what was left on the Sportsman Warehouse shelves, it was 180 Grain Federal Power Shoks, when we dug the bullet out of the elk there was no lead left in the head, the copper had folded back petals but not one bit of lead left inside.
The bullet did not exit, am i correct in thinking they were designed for deer and not Elk?
Not that it mattered though as it resulted in a dead Elk!
Cheers
Richard

That's about what I got with 60.8, behind 162 Hornady BT's. H4831 worked much better.

John i had 180 grain Nosler Partition's loaded for my 30-06 on my recent elk hunt, they didn't make it across the pond with me so i had to buy what was left on the Sportsman Warehouse shelves, it was 180 Grain Federal Power Shoks, when we dug the bullet out of the elk there was no lead left in the head, the copper had folded back petals but not one bit of lead left inside.
The bullet did not exit, am i correct in thinking they were designed for deer and not Elk?
Not that it mattered though as it resulted in a dead Elk!
Cheers
Richard

Richard did you hit any bone and at what distance was the Elk shot at? Sounds like you may have been close and all the energy caused the bullet completely expand. But you said it was found in the DEAD Elk so guess it worked just fine.
Dan

Richard did you hit any bone and at what distance was the Elk shot at? Sounds like you may have been close and all the energy caused the bullet completely expand. But you said it was found in the DEAD Elk so guess it worked just fine.
Dan
It was 234 yards, bullet did hit a rib on the way in, took out part of heart and lower lung, but yes a dead Elk, only ran about 50 yards and dropped.
I have kept the bullet, i will post a photo tomorrow as it's midnight here!
Cheers
Richard

200 grain Accubond in my Kimber 325 wsm and 160 Accubonds in my 7mm Rem Mag. 140 Accubonds in my 7-08 and my son's 7-08.

.270 cal. 150 gr. Hornady Spirepoint with 54.1 gr 4350. Anything it touches never moves again. Best there is.

180 Barns 300wmag
140-150 in the 7mm rmag

I don't really believe the bullet makes a huge difference but believe in taking every advantage I can get! If a better bullet give me 1% more, I'm all for it.

I don't handload so I use only remington core-lokt bullets in 175 grain and 150 grain for deer. I have never had a failure and never lost an animal in over 35 years of hunting. 7MM mag that is.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back