Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What Hunting Boots do you wear?

Hoffman Explorers, took me a long time to finally find an almost perfect boot for my foot, the Hoffman's are as close as I've found. Everyone's foot is different, as others have said, good boots are expensive. I'd try a bunch on until you find the ones that fit the best.

I use the danner antelopes. They are not cheap. I think I bought them for about $450 6 years ago. They have held up well for all the miles I have put on them but the leather was ruined superficially after one or two scouting trips in heavy cover. When I buy another pair I will be looking heavily into Kenetrek boots...

There are a lot of great boots but the first premium pair I tried on was Meindl Perfekt Hunters about ten years ago (sold by Cabela's back then). They were so good I never looked back and currently have two pair of Perfekt Hunters and one pair of the Perfekt Hikers...simply "outstanding" (pun intended). I use them for hunting, working around our place, and in our landscape tree business. They fit my feet perfectly and literally required no break-in. They are now available independent of Cabela's. Hope this helps.
^^^^^This for me too!!! You can get them straight from Meindl now and as of next year they will be in our Scheels!!!

I’ve had great luck with Hanwag Makra. Trying out Schnee’s Absaroka and liking so far.
From limited experience, I will stay away going forward from Crispi (leaked) and Danner (Danner)

Last edited:
Best ones I ever owned were Scarpas, pricey but worth it. I went 21 miles the weekend I got them with no break in time and ended up doing just fine. They lasted me a solid 4 years too.
I just got some Crispi Crossovers 2 weeks ago and have been wearing them to work everyday since. So far I’m loving them, I guess I’ll find out for sure in 2 weeks when I’m back in Colorado.

Hanwag Alaska wide. Used them three seasons now. I’m hopeful Hanwag is getting more of a presence in the US. Great boot. I wanted to like Crispi but I couldn’t find one that was wide and still provided enough ankle protection.

Aug/Sep archery: Lowa TF GTX
Sep/Oct: Lowa Z8 GTX
Oct/Nov/Dec: Lowa Tibet GTX

My Tibets paired with gaiters get me through the whole winter and spring while hiking and shed hunting. Great boots!

Scarps kinesis fit my feet well. But it’s more important to find a manufacturer that has a last that fits your feet. Then anything else. I tried multiple brands unt I found the one that fit me best.

I’ll echo what others have said, try on a few pair and find the ones that fit/feel the best.
For me it’s Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Have a pair on NI and 400.
Pronghorns leak after the first year.

Rocky Bearclaws for 16 years. best boots ever, but finally gave out. Now I have Schnees Beartooth II 200gram, and Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000 grams.

And muck boots, of course.

^^^^^This for me too!!! You can get them straight from Meindl now and as of next year they will be in our Scheels!!!
I've had good luck with meindls too. My only complaint with them is that they're slippery on frosted and frozen ground. I think that's probably true of most boots though.

Personally, after my experiences buying boots, there's no way I'd try to buy boots for others.

I wear Danner Pronghorns, but that's because they were literally the only boot at any of the nearby stores that felt good on my foot. Meindls rubbed in weird places, even when tied tightly in a proper size. Kenetrek felt like some kind of medieval torture device on my feet. I'm sure there's some kind of break-in period for quality boots, but I've been duped into buying boots that didn't feel good before because I was told/convinced they would break in.

Feets is different, so not one size fits all (pun intended)

I decided to upgrade and tried Kennetrek, Zamberlain, Meindle, Oboz, and Crispi (all in Mt Boot, top of the line models). I wanted to try Hoffman's but they were on backorder. They are all good boots.

The Meindl boots had too much room in the toe area. The other boots were similar great quality. The Zamberlan Mountain boot was a little tall in the heel for my liking, but otherwise extremely comfortable.

I ended up going with Crispi Guide non-insulated boot, mainly because it was in stock and I got it on sale for about $350. I've been on a couple of 10+ mile (2,500 elevation gain) hikes in the mountains and I'm very satisfied with my choice. I hunt all conditions and so always go non-insulated and make sure there's enough room for socks. I also don't hunt where it's going to get below around 10 degrees F.

I love Oboz in light hikers and 3/4 type boots. Their big boot (yellowstone) didn't look like enough boot for a serious hunting expedition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back