What Hunting Boots do you wear?

I have a couple pairs of Zamberlan that suit me very well. Crispi been okay for me also for the most part except for a pair of Wyoming’s

Do the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes fit pretty close to size? I live in the Southeast and there is nowhere to try a pair on.

Do the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes fit pretty close to size? I live in the Southeast and there is nowhere to try a pair on.
Although I think it varies from one person to another due to foot differences, mine fit me well and did not need any real break-in. As with most boots, I like to wear two pairs of socks, a light liner and a heavier one over, especially in colder weather. My Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are the sturdiest, best hiking boots I have owned for Montana mountain hunting. Give em a try. I think you can always send them back for different size or different boot model.

I've spent thousands on boots over the years. By far the best boots for me have been the Meindl Perfect (Vakuum). My first two pairs were regular width but last pair was a wide so I could wear a heavier sock and better insole. My 100% go to boot for most hunting in moderate weather. Crispi Thor are my go to boot for light hiking. Meindl Perfekt Extreme 400 for the early cold season. Then transition to Hoffman Pacs for winter. Have a pair of Scarpa SL Activ that are fairly comfortable on easy terrain but really need a wide width in those instead of the regular so only wear them occasionally now.

I'm probably going to take some major flak for this comment?
I have a closet full of boots. Some fairly expensive when new, but most all are well worn significantly.
This past Sept. I got sick of having boots on in the backcountry, so I wore running shoes. They were comfy, light weight, and way more quiet than my boots. I walked in some pretty severe country in Colorado's mountains and never got footsore, sweaty feet, or anything really negative, except to say it was dry and I wasn't concerned about getting my feet wet. Will I always do this in the future. NO, but I liked leaving the boots home for some long treks.

Colorado archery and ML seasons I typically wear a lightweight trail runner/hiker. A pound on the feet is equal to 5 on the back. I also have been using minimalist/zero drop shoes/boots for about 6 years now. Although my favorite is the Lems Boulder boot, I wouldn't recommend them for hiking or hunting. I hike and backpack in either Altra Lonepeak Mids or Xero Excursions. Both are very light weight. The Excursions are water proof but the Altras are fairly water resistant and more breathable. So far they have held up well.

Kennetrek Mountain Guide. Just put my first full week on them after a few smaller hikes. Best boots I have ever worn. Unbelievable traction, support and for the first time I wasn't looking to take my boots off the moment I got back to camp.

Took a while to break in as they are stiff.

Love my Schnees Beartooth. I have 3 pairs. One is on year 14 and is plenty used, but oh, so comfy! One is on year 6 and the other pair is still in the box. Both pairs I wear are still waterproof and they have seen a lot of use on elk, deer, antelope, and pheasant hunts.

... A pound on the feet is equal to 5 on the back....
@RojoGrande - not picking on your here, just askin' the world.

Ok all you experts. What is the actual source and science on this? I've seen and heard this quoted as 1 to 3, 1 to 5, and 1 to 8.
Obviously the weight of your footwear matters, but is there an actual citation for quote?

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes here as well. They are a sturdy boot and fit well on me. I liked them enough, I bought a pair for my fiancé also.

I am wearing my second pair of cheap ($69) Red Head boots from Cabelas. Bought the first pair before my trip to Africa two years ago and wore them out. Bought this pair just before going back to Africa in August. Both pairs have held up about as well as could be expected - I will wear out any boot, no matter the price tag, in three seasons or less. I walk a LOT. The soles on this pair are already thin and some separation at the tip of the right one. Surprisingly waterproof and they are comfortable. I'll wear them till they give out and maybe get another pair ... or try something else.

In snow or when hunting pheasants in wet environments, I wear Muck Boots. Had the soles separate on a two year-old pair of Muckmasters this year which was very disappointing. I wore my last pair of Wetlands till they were literally rags. Mucks are not for everyone but they work for me because I stay on the move when hunting. For a still hunter they would probably be too sweaty and cold.

@RojoGrande - not picking on your here, just askin' the world.

Ok all you experts. What is the actual source and science on this? I've seen and heard this quoted as 1 to 3, 1 to 5, and 1 to 8.
Obviously the weight of your footwear matters, but is there an actual citation for quote?
Obviously it depends on the size and physical condition of the wearer. A light boot for me would have seemed like a truck battery on my late wife's foot (4'10" and 80 lbs).

Currently I have Crispi, Zamberlan, and Salewa.

Crispi Idaho's are probably my favorite currently. They just fit. Laces are a joke and do not hold up.

Zamberlans 1014? have a rather tight toe box compared to Crispi. They are comfortable but just very different from crispi. Mine are a probably 3 years old with some moderate use and my feet were soaked yesterday after walking in 3-4" deep water for an hour. I thought it might have just been my pants wicking up water but my socks were not wet at the top so they're leaking. Not happy about a 400 pair of boots leaking that quickly.

The Salewas alp trainers are more of the summer hiking boot but I do enjoy them. I bought them as a summer/ early season lightweight option. Seem to be holding up nicely and have yet to leak. Certainly not build as stout as the 2 mentioned above but not intended to be. a nice boot overall

I really want to try Scarpa stuff as it seems to get rave reviews in general. I just cannot get behind the wild colors. I might try the kuiu versions. Anyone know which boot the kuiu version really is?

I wear Danner Women's Wayfinder 800. Warm, comfy and I can hunt all day in them. I use a Klim sock with them.

I hear ya on the joke laces. Any new boot with paracord laces you just as well strip out and replace before going afield. That stuff is crap. Waxed braided nylon at outdoors gear stores is the way to go. Hold knots well and last for years.

I hear ya on the joke laces. Any new boot with paracord laces you just as well strip out and replace before going afield. That stuff is crap. Waxed braided nylon at outdoors gear stores is the way to go. Hold knots well and last for years.
Good to know. I just replaced mine with real 550 cord. Not the skinny boot lace crap. They don't stay tied the best cause I left the guts in but they're not going to break.

Back