Caribou Gear Tarp

What has hunting become?

He would rather have good ethical Resident Sportsmen hunt his place than deal with unscrupulous outfitters.

Are you saying hunters who pay to hunt are unethical?

I would never pay to hunt, but ethics is not the reason.

I noticed you used the word resident. Is the landowner against non-residents coming into Montana?

Are you saying hunters who pay to hunt are unethical?

I would never pay to hunt, but ethics is not the reason.

I noticed you used the word resident. Is the landowner against non-residents coming into Montana?

Outfitters are dictating the market. If they were not leasing up the good lands, then "Hunters" would not be enticed to use them.

I was speaking of outfitters when I mentioned it.

The landowner just doesn't know any "Good" non residents. I'm sure he's not against them coming and hunting here.

Outfitters are dictating the market. If they were not leasing up the good lands, then "Hunters" would not be enticed to use them.

I was speaking of outfitters when I mentioned it.

I understand that, but I would guess that most of the outfitter business is for non-residents. I could be way off since I have never looked into it.

shoots, you are the exception if you really do go and spend time fixing fence. I would make that deal w/ most anyone, come fix all my fence in the spring, and then again all summer when the elk are running thru it....and you could hunt....but perhaps we are doing it wrong, we let everyone w/ a permit hunt elk and antelope, and don't require any fencing.

topgun...you are wrong, I would have leased 30 new ranches if they would have called on account of that ad....but the best thing about that ad is the amount of anti-outfitters it stirred up... I even heard that there were folks on the PL/PW, PLWA, ect., calling FWP to see if it was legal to run an ad like that.....

Enough of this, I have to go back to the real world, and start working ground to prep it for fall planting, and then in another day or so get ready to start hunting.
Best of luck this fall to all, and remember this, 100% of the bucks you kill this fall have no chance of being better next season.

This was fun for a while, but I think it's time this thread goes away and we all go about our fall hunting business.
My options are limited. I am forced to bounce between this thread and reading Ben's FB page where Pio tells us we must have a boring sex life if we don't take pictures of ourselves naked, or dealing with gate-current noise in 28nm CMOS. Not sure if Teasers is the right analogy Ben... but perhaps Eric can negotiate a lease at the Bunny Ranch. For $5000 I bet you can get a whopper Bunny there.

Ethics do matter

I've been watching this thread for the last couple days.

May as well throw my thoughts in, since it seems most everyone else has.

First off, thanks to Tjones for bringing this forward. Its important that the average sportsmen in Montana and elsewhere understand how THEIR public wildlife is being "marketed" by increased commercialization, whio is driving the commercialization, and the potential problems associated with Governors/Commission tags.

A couple comments to Darren.

First of all, the wildlife that we all enjoy was a direct product of hard working, average American hunters, many millions of them. The hunters of the past cared enough about wildlife and the sport to conserve and protect wildlife from commercialziation, market hunting, etc.The abundant wildlife, both game and nongame species, was a result of conservation efforts funded almost entirely by license fees, self-imposed taxes on hunting and fishing, etc. These self imposed fees and licensing paid the entire freight for wildlife for many, many decades prior to the existence of a single Governors tag.

I find it pretty repulsive that you act as though the money you spend on Governors tags and outfitter fees is "saving" hunting and promoting the conservation effort.

Let me clarify also that many on this board are leading the charge in Conservation efforts, something you cant know since you joined the board a couple days ago to "justify" your unjustifiable add in a local paper. These guys spend countless hours at their State Legislature lobbying on behalf of wildlife and hunting, killing terrible bills, passing ones that benefit hunters and wildlife. Many take vacation days and time away from their lives to ensure tha Public Wildlife and Public Lands are preserved for future generations. Most are volunteers and not only are they not compensated, it ends up costing them money. Many also attend public meetings, meet with Game and Fish personel, and are in leadership roles in the many great conservation groups that are taking a stand for public wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and the public lands that we all enjoy and use.

I would highly recommend that you, Darren, consider your actions and what they are causing. You think that because you buy a Governors Tag, you're the only person on the planet that is doing something for wildlife.

While I dont know the exact figures for MT's Governors tag program, I suspect that its similar to Wyomings. In Wyoming the GF operating budget is 70 million. All of the Governors tags (5 each of sheep, moose, pronghorn, deer, elk, and bison) bring in $500,000 to $600,000 a year. While it does allow some more research, etc. to be conducted, its not much money when compared to the 70 million that sportsmen provide through PR/DG funds, license fees etc.

Further, attitudes like yours are making hunters, State Legislators, and the GF agencies to really question whether the Governors tags are worth the piss poor attitudes and lack of ethics they seem to bring to the surface with many of the purchasers as well as outfitters that cater to same.

Instead of being confrontational and an a-hole, you should be thanking the general hunting public for allowing you the privilege of being afforded the chance to purchase a Governors tag. Its only by the graciousness of those that do almost all of the heavy lifting in conservation that you even have the luxury of buying a Governors tag. That privilege can be revoked by an organzied group of sportsmen at the drop of a hat. Want proof? Look to Colorado where the seasons have been shortened for Gov. tag holders. Ask MT oufitters how their OSL program went. Ask WY outfitters how ranching for wildlife and transferable landowner permits has gone for them.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Governors tags go the way of the dinosaur in some states, and it will be because of poor attitudes and the lack of ethics involved that causes the average hunter to lobby and pass legislation banning them. Perhaps this should happen sooner rather than later, and its not going to take much more bullchit like yours to push hunters, the legislators, and the GF agencies to do so.

Finally, while you're busy trying to break your arm patting yourself on the back about how much you do for wildlife by writing a check, this board that Randy provides has done much, much more. While I cant, and wont speak for anyone else, many of the people on this board have inspired me to be a better hunter, a better sportsman, and to get involved beyond writing checks and just buying licenses.

There is no other hunting board, anywhere, that you will find a more dedicated bunch of people that are doing more for wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and public lands than right here...and thats a fact.

I'd suggest educating yourself about how the wildlife and lands you're hunting got here, who did the heavy lifting finacially, and who is ensuring the future of both.

Or...feel free to keep those velcro pants strapped on.

Well said BuzzH

I had a good time just now scrolling to the bottom of this article-

calls_zps8aa3013c.png

And seeing this ad-

calls1_zps6ea70632.jpg

Classic.!

Its looks like Ammo and More advertises on Montana Outdoor Radio, so does Sage Trucking Driving School, but I am no truck driver. :)

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back