FWP embarks on mule deer monitoring, research, and outreach initiatives

Unfortunately it appears the opinions expressed on Facebook more represent the average Montanan sportsman than those of hunttalk. Not surprising. Montana public land mule deer hunting is not at rock bottom yet. The question I have is “will it ever be?”

I think @antlerradar maybe said it. “The questions are like asking a toddler if they want to eat ice cream”
Exactly. And even if the bios wanted to change the season structure, which they don’t, the Gianforte admin is big on the public and Commission deciding what hunting looks like in Montana, no matter how bad the idea. Look at the recent changes to licenses needed to run lions with dogs. Nothing’s changing any time soon when it comes to hunting mule deer in MT. Except maybe we extirpate them.

I would like a re do on the shiras tag I ate, and I would also like to kill a bighorn on a limited entry tag in a unit with ample sheep numbers in an alpine setting, with a fair chance at a ram 175+. Also, I hope get a mountain goat in the unit I helped open and therefore, I am deserving of a tag for that as am three of my friends. I think we should all get those too. Also, I would like to hunt the buffer area for elk, and would like to be sure to get a tag for that

Unfortunately it appears the opinions expressed on Facebook more represent the average Montanan sportsman than those of hunttalk. Not surprising. Montana public land mule deer hunting is not at rock bottom yet. The question I have is “will it ever be?”
So if you came from Florida, tried hunting Mule deer there, then moved to Montana, yes the mule deer is 500% better than it was back home. Compared to the 60's it's now Armageddon. Compared to the 70's it's then Holocaust. The 80's Ethnic cleansing. The 90' White men can't jump. The 2000's F'd up. The teens, going to golf.

Maybe we need to word our own "survey" and submit it to the papers and the department.

I hunted in the 90’s I can’t jump and golf is a better alternative. Don’t wreck golf too. I really do like your idea though. The department isn’t going to do a damn thing to change anything. If we continue the path forward any quality hunting will require private land access. And I say quality loosely because private land is feeling the effects too.

I hunted in the 90’s I can’t jump and golf is a better alternative. Don’t wreck golf too. I really do like your idea though. The department isn’t going to do a damn thing to change anything. If we continue the path forward any quality hunting will require private land access. And I say quality loosely because private land is feeling the effects too.
Golf does a pretty good job of wrecking itself. Pimple faced white lil bastard

Just because I was curious.

Montana FWP Wildlife Management Biologist

Position Overview

The department is mandated to protect, perpetuate, enhance and regulate the sustainable use of Montana's renewable wildlife resources for public benefit now and in the future. The Wildlife Division is responsible for developing programs that are responsive to that mandate. Programs are designed in coordination with Helena staff and implemented at the field level by the Wildlife biologist with technical assistance, professional advice and supervision of the Regional Wildlife Manager. The Wildlife biologist addresses complex social and biological issues at a regional level but may be directed to participate in matters with statewide or national implications.

The Wildlife biologist is responsible for the implementation of the Department's wildlife management program, including the State Wildlife Action Plan, in an assigned area of one of 7 regions. This includes designing and conducting field investigations on wildlife populations and habitats, preparing wildlife management recommendations, communicating department programs and policies, informing the general public of wildlife and habitat matters, maintaining, enhancing, and protecting wildlife habitat and hunting access on private and public lands and maintaining proficiency as a professional wildlife scientist.

Minimum Qualifications

The knowledge, skills, and abilities of this position are normally attained through combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master's Degree in Fish and Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, Range Management, Zoology or Biology, including completion of a field research project presented in a successfully defended thesis. Other combinations of education and experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Equivalent experience is defined as five (5) years of progressively responsible experience as a wildlife biologist or senior wildlife technician that includes examples of:

1. Literature review and development of a problem statement and or hypothesis for a particular issue.
  2. Development of a detailed study plan or sampling protocol for a field-oriented project based on the above-noted hypothesis.
  3. Data collection and the effective management of data with an appropriate application.
  4. Interpretation and analysis of data, including a quantitative assessment of that information.
  5. Completion of a final report in a peer-reviewed publication or a publication comparable to a refereed journal.
  6. If appropriate to the project, formulation of any recommended changes in management prescriptions and or actions.
  7. Oral presentation on results of investigation to agency staff or public audience.
Other combinations of education and experience which could provide such knowledge, skills and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.

Montana is stuck. We will lose all of our biologists before the changes that are needed are legislated. If you want changes game managers will say talk to the commissioners, commissioners say talk to the game manager or biologist. Everyone that has any pull on it will tell you things look good we can carry on. Any substantial change has to be legislated. The adaptive mule deer plan is bullshit and clearly hasn’t worked. Electing commissioners is my best solution but many on here say that isn’t going to work and potentially will make things worse, at the end of the day golf is a pretty good option, you get to screw things up on your own terms.

Montana is stuck. We will lose all of our biologists before the changes that are needed are legislated. If you want changes game managers will say talk to the commissioners, commissioners say talk to the game manager or biologist. Everyone that has any pull on it will tell you things look good we can carry on. Any substantial change has to be legislated. The adaptive mule deer plan is bullshit and clearly hasn’t worked. Electing commissioners is my best solution but many on here say that isn’t going to work and potentially will make things worse, at the end of the day golf is a pretty good option, you get to screw things up on your own terms.
Perhaps this survey is not indicative of a statewide vote on the issue. But if it is, and these survey numbers still don't lend you an idea on where the electorate would stand in comparison to your views... I guess I can only suggest looking harder.

I continue to stand behind my unwavering belief that elected Game managers/commissioners is a bad idea.

Perhaps this survey is not indicative of a statewide vote on the issue. But if it is, and these survey numbers still don't lend you an idea on where the electorate would stand in comparison to your views... I guess I can only suggest looking harder.

I continue to stand behind my unwavering belief that elected Game managers/commissioners is a bad idea.
We are gonna base our management off of a survey that was sent to 5000 hunters with 2000 of them that responded. The questions were as canned as shooting deer over bait in North Dakota. I’ll take my chances with electing commissioners (which also can’t happen because it has to be legislated). Point being Montana hunting is f’d. Enjoy cherry creek, sorry if I wrecked your secret spot.

We are gonna base our management off of a survey that was sent to 5000 hunters with 2000 of them that responded. The questions were as canned as shooting deer over bait in North Dakota. I’ll take my chances with electing commissioners (which also can’t happen because it has to be legislated). Point being Montana hunting is f’d. Enjoy cherry creek, sorry if I wrecked your secret spot.
No, I'm sorry.

I can absolutely see how elected game commissioners could be a big potential problem. I also see that the majority of appointed commissioners are pretty terrible too, so I have no idea what the answer is.

MT hunters asking FWP not to restrict their opportunity in any way for the good of the deer.
3897FB8F-F3FF-4AD2-9DF7-9F40FD6BC09E.gif

MT hunters excited about being able to keep the tradition and smash does and rutting forkies
907D47D2-7755-4495-813F-03E374225F74.gif

Reality smacking MT hunters after FWP allowed them to continue to hammer the deer
10D24D63-973E-4A5F-A1C2-573977F5468A.gif

MT hunters blaming FWP when hunting sucks because FWP let them do what they asked for
49C97294-67E0-44F1-9311-FA44FACD2C49.gif

Last edited:
Well I’m proud to be one of the respondents in the minority, even if I whacked two young bucks in four years. The numbers and age structure I witnessed in the areas I frequented was apocalyptic. Of the deer I saw in the plains- hardly any bucks, none bigger than a forkie. Mountains seemingly devoid of deer after opening weekend, nothing tagged bigger than a young 3pt.

The two biggest (actually mature) deer I saw in the state were at night, both in heavily timbered areas. The only mature bucks I knew of that anyone harvested all came from private.

I’m not giving up hope that it can improve- I’ve seen the grip and grins from bygone eras, and I’m not going to stop fighting for a return to that potential.

Well I’m proud to be one of the respondents in the minority, even if I whacked two young bucks in four years. The numbers and age structure I witnessed in the areas I frequented was apocalyptic. Of the deer I saw in the plains- hardly any bucks, none bigger than a forkie. Mountains seemingly devoid of deer after opening weekend, nothing tagged bigger than a young 3pt.

The two biggest (actually mature) deer I saw in the state were at night, both in heavily timbered areas. The only mature bucks I knew of that anyone harvested all came from private.

I’m not giving up hope that it can improve- I’ve seen the grip and grins from bygone eras, and I’m not going to stop fighting for a return to that potential.
I encourage you to go talk to the people calling the shots and your optimism will fade. This is as good as it gets.
I agree things COULD be turned around. There is no appetite for it though by the people making the decisions. Changes could be made without cutting opportunities yet we just continue to let things swirl right down the toilet bowl. Hard to watch.

I encourage you to go talk to the people calling the shots and your optimism will fade. This is as good as it gets.
I agree things COULD be turned around. There is no appetite for it though by the people making the decisions. Changes could be made without cutting opportunities yet we just continue to let things swirl right down the toilet bowl. Hard to watch.
Optimism allows me to believe it can. If the habitat and access remain, then the population & hunting can make a comeback. Have to become the squeaky wheel to get some grease, though- the squeakiest. So really, really damned squeaky.

Reactions: DFS
Optimism allows me to believe it can. If the habitat and access remain, then the population & hunting can make a comeback. Have to become the squeaky wheel to get some grease, though- the squeakiest. So really, really damned squeaky.
Good luck. I will be right there with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back