Yeti GOBOX Collection

What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

@Hammsolo , finally got my hands on my 1st WT. it was everything I wanted, for my 1st WT. a decent buck I could turn into a euro. Won’t forget this journey anytime soon. I’d dreamed about getting a chance to hunt whitetails for years, previously living in a state that doesn't really have WT hunting. Already looking forward to going after another one next year and trying to find a bigger buck
View attachment 303145
Congrats! Those eye guards are awesome

I suppose I should report on my goal.....

3rd season, northern CO. It was warm, and dry, except for one day.

Buddy killed a good bull on opening morning. I was right next to him. The bull was broken off on one side, but he would have gone around 320 if not broken off.

I had one opportunity, unfortunately my shooting skills let me down....... 😣

Last morning we were on the way up to hike in, and I rolled my 4runner on a patch of black ice. Then a couple hours later when I called my insurance agent I found I had miscommunicated with them and did not in fact have collision insurance on it. So that was about an $8,000 mistake.

It was one of those trips with some highs and some real lows. It'll make a good story, but it's still a little painful to tell.....
Keep your chin up. There are no mountains without valleys.

@Hammsolo , finally got my hands on my 1st WT. it was everything I wanted, for my 1st WT. a decent buck I could turn into a euro. Won’t forget this journey anytime soon. I’d dreamed about getting a chance to hunt whitetails for years, previously living in a state that doesn't really have WT hunting. Already looking forward to going after another one next year and trying to find a bigger buck
View attachment 303145
Let’s see that euro!

Help my oldest son (14) hopefully harvest an elk on his first elk hunt in third rifle, Colorado. Soon as we get back we leave for a week at deer camp with my second boy(12) going along for the first time
Goal #1 achieved with a cow elk! Goal #2 achieved with a last day deer for my second son's first deer camp trip. He saw deer everyday and had a lot of bucks that he could have shot but had filled his buck tag the Saturday before. Last day we had a button buck run out and stop broadside at 7 yards and he delivered a perfect shot!IMG_20231125_172831182.jpg

Have a muzzy buck tag in my favorite unit in CO. Goal is to get a good stalk or two on a mature buck.

Outside of that, helping my brother kill a bull after he tore his achilles this winter would be sweet. Also hopefully helping my buddy kill his first CO big game animal on a 4th season buck tag.
Can finally close this one out.
1) Completely f*cked up my first goal, took a 10 yard snap shot at an average 4x4 instead of the target bucks I was there to stalk, hit the high shoulder void and lost my first big game animal. Killed a bull later in the hunt.
20230911_150902.jpg
2) Check
20231111_074528.jpg
3) Check
20231126_073012.jpg

Reactions: trb
Can finally close this one out.
1) Completely f*cked up my first goal, took a 10 yard snap shot at an average 4x4 instead of the target bucks I was there to stalk, hit the high shoulder void and lost my first big game animal. Killed a bull later in the hunt.
View attachment 303368
I absolutely love the deep color in those antlers!!

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!
Damnit. I fixed it. :p

Screwed my last chance...LOL
Just have a cow for my WI buddy left here.
Eyes are 20/15 and I feel great.
2 loads of split juniper ordered and 1st load due next week.
Ford goes in to get door untweeked next Tues.
My go to mechanic is calling back later tonight, rebuild Tacoma.

I have plenty of meat in the freezer and getting ahead on wood for winter.

I'm still here.

This is my last year to hunt before my son will be able to next year. After that, I plan on it all being about him for as long as it can be. I feel like I need to push myself a little more than previous years and am prepared to because of that fact.

My dad is 74, and I will hunt deer with him as much as possible. I plan on sharing with him the River bottom I enjoyed so much last year.

I’ve had a few good years of elk or multiple elk every year for the last few. I love the meat but don’t feel driven much beyond that and hiking enchanting geographies, and feel like I simultaneously need to speed up and slow down. One thing I honestly want to do this fall is fish more. I’m always hunting instead.

Ok so I didn’t pick just 1.

Hope you all have fantastic seasons.

Here’s yer update.

I hunted more than any year in the previous decade.

I hunted with my dad a fair amount, and he shot a buck on a fine morning.
IMG_6358.jpeg

I hunted the River bottom with my shotgun. Never found a buck I could get a good shot at, but did harvest a doe.

IMG_6367.jpeg

I spent many days afield with family, hunting and attempting trapping with my wife and kids.IMG_6475.jpeg
IMG_6322.jpeg
IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6218.jpeg

I found a cow, and walked, involuntarily swam, and exerted myself in the sacred geographies I love so much.

IMG_6209.jpeg
IMG_6205.jpeg
IMG_6421.jpeg
IMG_6448.jpeg

Fished a little but not much. As always, a chunk of life for which to be grateful.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back