Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

So I emailed the group that did the bear electric fence study and requested the brochures. I had asked several questions but was told the person who conducted the study was no longer available. SO here are the brochures on electric fences in bear territory that they sent me. Personally, having experience with electric fences with horses, grounding is critical and I bet in certain ground covers like lichen, boggy etc, it may be tough to get solid ground. I think I would try to bring a ground that can be driven in quite far (4-6') in this type of soil but in multiple pieces that assemble together. Maybe give some thought for your own systems.

Attachments

• Bear Fence brochure 2.pdf
    547.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Bear Fence brochure.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Portable Electric Fencing for Bear Deterrence and Conservation.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was in AK with a guide, we had successfully killed a sheep and were bou/ bear hunting, as we were finishing processing the bou a sow peaked over the hill at 80 yards, needless to say after looking for cubs, yelling at her, I shot her at 40, she never once stopped walking towards us. When done skinning the bear we had another at 500 yards eating blueberries, we one tripped it out of there, bear and bou. I can't imagine what would have taken place if we didn't have the tag.

Maybe it would help @neffa3 if we all posted things he could do to avoid that scenario? I've read that a good way to keep a bear off is to take a battery operated radio or old phone and leave it near the carcass and crank the volume up with anything playing. I have intentionally kept an old phone that still has my music saved to it just for this purpose when my wife and I head to AK here soon
Recommend any ABBA album played on a loop. Should do the trick.

I wonder if a weed burner electric fence on battery would work well enough to keep a bear off a kill. Lot of weight to carry. Its one thing to deter around a campsite but blood and guts in its face whole different scenario. Music prob just dining music to them with blood in nose.

3.7 pounds of electric fence.

I went with Bear Watch over the UDAP, because it has 10x the joules at about the same weight.

I've shot multiple elk in grizz country. Take the proper precautions at butcher time, move meat out far away from the carcass, hang it if you can >15-20 feet above ground if possible, pack out as much meat as possible day of the kill, take a leak around the hanging meat before leaving it to mark it as your own. Follow those simple rules and you are setting yourself up for a very low percentage of this even being an issue.

I've shot multiple elk in grizz country. Take the proper precautions at butcher time, move meat out far away from the carcass, hang it if you can >15-20 feet above ground if possible, pack out as much meat as possible day of the kill, take a leak around the hanging meat before leaving it to mark it as your own. Follow those simple rules and you are setting yourself up for a very low percentage of this even being an issue.
FINALLY! a comment I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back