Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Solo Alaska Caribou

Thanks for sharing the awesome story and incredible photos. I'll bet time passed incredibly slow when you were fogged in and sitting in the tent. It definitely takes courage and confidence to pull something like this off. Your story will give encouragement to a lot of hunters.

Great bull! I had no idea any charters would fly a guy in solo. I have been trying to get up there but none of my hunting buddies ever seem to stick with a plan or one of us ends up drawing somewhere.
What bear fence is that? I use a Pentagon but it's barely big enough for my Seek tipi.

That's a lot of mental toughness to endure the fog like that for days. Glad it worked out! Congrats!

Great bull! I had no idea any charters would fly a guy in solo. I have been trying to get up there but none of my hunting buddies ever seem to stick with a plan or one of us ends up drawing somewhere.
What bear fence is that? I use a Pentagon but it's barely big enough for my Seek tipi.

Homemade ultra-light bear fence. Carbon arrows, cut into 14" lengths. For the bottom segment, glue a standard arrow insert into each end, then glue a small, practice point into one end. For the middle segment, take a 2" 8-32 screw, cut the head off, and thread and glue it in through the back of an insert, then glue the insert into one end of the arrow segment, so that the thread sticks out. Glue a standard insert into the other end. For the top segment, repeat the first step of of middle segment, but before gluing in the top insert, run a short piece of 325 paracord through the insert, tie an overhand knot on the inside in, and a bowline on on the outside, then glue that insert into the top.

Next, get heat shrink insulation tubing and put a band of insulation at the top and bottom of the top segment, and the bottom of the middle segment. These will be the spots around which you wrap wire.

When you go to set up the fence, make up the three segments of arrow, and run a guy line from the top loop to a stake, then wrap electric fencing wire around your first insulation point, and continue around the fence. Hook up an energizer like normal.

Considerably lighter than any commercial bear fence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back