Caribou Gear

What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

Maybe it would help @neffa3 if we all posted things he could do to avoid that scenario? I've read that a good way to keep a bear off is to take a battery operated radio or old phone and leave it near the carcass and crank the volume up with anything playing. I have intentionally kept an old phone that still has my music saved to it just for this purpose when my wife and I head to AK here soon

This is why our SOP hunting in Griz country is hunting in pairs with saddle horses.
1) if we get a bull down and we can radio for a pack string we will (first choice)
2) no pack string available we put the quarters and antlers on saddle horses and walk and lead our mounts back to camp .
3) Last resort is hang Quarters to extract but not ideal.

This came from my father killing a bull at last light and gutting it and leaving the whole carcass. Idea being the bear couldn't haul off a whole carcass. Well when the morning came and they went up to quarter the elk. The Carcass was 150 yards down hill from where they left it. The bear ate the gutpile, ate a bite out each of the hind quarters and ate the tenderloins. After that tense morning with an armed perimeter, Dad swore off shooting elk on the evening hunt if we couldn't extract same day...This was Western Wyoming 2005. The situation has not gotten any better there.

hunt2005 085.jpg
The carcass near the top of the ridge above ^ and 150 yards lower below in the morning
colby 001.jpg

griztrack highlight.JPG

My 2007 bull we walked 6 miles back to camp with ,

Copy of sept07 037.jpg

oct07 003.jpg

Maybe it would help @neffa3 if we all posted things he could do to avoid that scenario? I've read that a good way to keep a bear off is to take a battery operated radio or old phone and leave it near the carcass and crank the volume up with anything playing. I have intentionally kept an old phone that still has my music saved to it just for this purpose when my wife and I head to AK here soon
Other than moving the meat as far as you can I really don’t think there is a good way to avoid it. If you kill an elk in grizzly country and leave it overnight, you’re rolling the dice and hoping it doesn’t happen. If a bear finds it and wants it, he’s going to take it.

I always get a kick out of these signs at forest service trailheads. I’ve never even been able to hang quarters anywhere near high enough when I’m by myself.

04E55FAE-C20B-4485-90A9-63550BD35E97.jpeg

I wonder if a weed burner electric fence on battery would work well enough to keep a bear off a kill. Lot of weight to carry. Its one thing to deter around a campsite but blood and guts in its face whole different scenario. Music prob just dining music to them with blood in nose.

Other than moving the meat as far as you can I really don’t think there is a good way to avoid it. If you kill an elk in grizzly country and leave it overnight, you’re rolling the dice and hoping it doesn’t happen. If a bear finds it and wants it, he’s going to take it.

I always get a kick out of these signs at forest service trailheads. I’ve never even been able to hang quarters anywhere near high enough when I’m by myself.

View attachment 237413

What? You can't get a whole bull hanging 10' off the ground and find a branch that will let you hang it 4' from the trunk of a pine tree? Pansy...

Isn't there a state that will issue a new tag if grizz get it? Not that you want to go through the work again but just asking, I thought it was WY

Not really on the same level, and a different state, but I had a black bear sow and cubs claim a deer before I could finish blood trailing. Followed blood trail to an old, grown over road and look down the bank to find my deer with a sow over it, looking at me. She huffed once, the cubs went scurrying away, and she started snapping her teeth at me.

I just scurried right back the way I came. Punched my tag, and headed home. I got a hold of a CO the next day and was told they would reissue my tag.

I was lucky. But I get your point, if it had been an out of state hunt with points etc. walking away would have been a rough deal.

As a NR, you put in for years, spend >$1k, and all that planning, effort, and execution all to just walk away empty handed?
So if you don't fill your tag you should get a refund and your points restored?! You can just go to Colorado instead.

If you have to leave it overnight, pee everywhere you can around the meat and drape some human clothes over it. Thats not gonna stop a hungry grizz but may make a bear think twice. Please don't kill a grizz to try to claim your meat.

Help me out. I could not readily find this on the WFGD website and they don't believe in email communication.

They just say that if you see evidence that a bear has been messing with your carcass to leave it. I'm not okay with that. As a NR, you put in for years, spend >$1k, and all that planning, effort, and execution all to just walk away empty handed?
You don't mention if you tagged the critter yet....if you tagged it already then I guess it's up to if you want to risk the reclaiming....if you have not tagged it, just go shoot another one.

One of FWP’s bear guys (Jonkel) recently gave a talk at a BHA event and was talking about some gadget called the Critter Gitter or something. Basically motion operated noise machine. Kinda spendy though. Maybe a China knockoff on Amazon or something available.

I'm not saying it will work perfectly and all the time but even if it did 1 out of a 100 it's worth carrying the extra 4 ounces and hanging onto an old phone.

Be careful if you try and do anything with a carcass that bears have been on. They may not be at the carcass when you approach, but they’re likely not far away. If your lucky like we we’re they’ll wait a few hours til you leave to come back. If your not, your gonna have a bad time. In my one experience with black bears and an elk carcass, we were lucky, and frankly stupid. They weren’t far away, and they were back on the carcass in a matter of 2 hours. Not something I wanna repeat.

A friend had a Griz push him off a spike while he was gutting it. He tried unsuccessfully to get it to leave. He was given a replacement tag. He was a res and it was a Gen tag. Not sure it makes a difference.

Had a guide in AK relay a story of a few years prior. His Hunter took a dall ram. While they where getting pics a Griz came in on them. They tried unsuccessfully to get it to leave. The Hunter had a grizz tag but season was a couple days away from open. They watched that bear eat his ram. They radioed the outfitter who called the F&G to see if they could get authorization to take the bear a couple days early. They were told no. They returned each day to watch the bear just laying on the cache. Day season opened he shot the bear on top of the cache. He was not issued a replacement ram tag that I am aware of.

Just walk in cautiously, pistols drawn, and if he charges you, , ,BANG! Self defense.
Also make sure you have a bear tag in your pocket in case it’s a blacky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back