Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

My friend shot a sheep one time with his bow and they had to wait until the next day to go get it because it was gut shot.

When they got there a grizzly had claimed it.

His guide said, "watch this" and rode his horse right at the bear at full speed and ran the bear off long enough to be able to grab the horns.....

My buddy said it was the stupidest thing he had ever seen anyone do in his life and he tough wood shop at a public school so that's saying something. lol
Is it stupid if it works?

I have the Udap one, taking it to Alaska tomorrow. I set it up the other day and the fence encloses an area about 27'x27', pretty good size for a tent camp plus 4 separate pee corners. I feel like 8 stakes would be much better than 4 for keeping the fence taut though...we'll see, I'll report back in a couple weeks, but hopefully we don't have to test it much!

"Pee corners" in an electric fence? Camping in the dark? No way that could go wrong! I might rather face the bear.

QQ

If this is was in Wyoming it's illegal. No matter how wounded it was, you killed it. When you left the kill site without filling your tag, you broke the law.
Well it wasn't so :p

We had an electric fence around our camp with grizzlies all around for years and never had a problem except for them annoying the horses. No idea how many joules.

Takes a special trust relationship of horse rider for a horse to charge a predator burned into its brain. I had a horse that had no issue cutting a bison where others went ballistic! Those are "keepers" that you trust with your life too. I feel fortunate to have had one.

Takes a special trust relationship of horse rider for a horse to charge a predator burned into its brain. I had a horse that had no issue cutting a bison where others went ballistic! Those are "keepers" that you trust with your life too. I feel fortunate to have had one.
I had a big bay gelding when I was growing up. We were buds. Never charged a bear, but he would do anything I asked of him. Like you said, fortunate. mtmuley

Like many things that have to do with bear safety, when everything is going as planned it’s not that hard.

Fence setup can be time consuming in tall grass and brush, unless you spend a lot of time clearing; otherwise the vegetation will draw too much current. Clear, rocky flats and you can’t get the posts staked very well. Not a big deal for a car or horse camp where a saw might be handy and you’re unlikely to move it. For a mobile backpack camp not the same. Still a great option to have absolutely, but it’s never as easy as it looks on TV…
That's a great reminder. I still haven't even set ours up in the yard yet

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back