What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

Irrelevant

Help me out. I could not readily find this on the WFGD website and they don't believe in email communication.

They just say that if you see evidence that a bear has been messing with your carcass to leave it. I'm not okay with that. As a NR, you put in for years, spend >$1k, and all that planning, effort, and execution all to just walk away empty handed?

Well here's what I did. Every situation is different and there is an ocean of gray area between a bear laying on the meat eating it and no bear sign.

I killed an elk and stashed meat overnight, not hung but within storage guidelines per the NF I was in. Next morning it had been strewn all about, some partially consumed, and one of three meat bags missing entirely. It could not have been a small bear, regardless of species. The area is within occupied griz range but is not what I'd consider a hot spot.

I took pictures, took the biggest remaining bag of meat, and hiked out. I called the warden, explained the situation, and asked him what I should do. His guidance was if the remaining meat was not apparently cached by the bear and/or pissed on ("claimed") that I needed to go back for it. I had been hunting alone, but brought a friend back for the rest of the meat and camp/antlers, which were elsewhere on that mountain. We packed it out and everything was fine. Two years later I found the remains of the third bag of meat, probably 200 yds from where it had been.

If he did not ask me to go back for the meat strewn about I absolutely would not have, even though I respect that warden and understand the rationale. Returning to meat, or worse yet a kill site, is the most dangerous aspect of hunting in grizzly county IMO, and by quite a bit. When exactly it's been "claimed" by a griz is not so black and white, and it's a line I don't have interest in walking more than necessary.

Well here's what I did. Every situation is different and there is an ocean of gray area between a bear laying on the meat eating it and no bear sign.

I killed an elk and stashed meat overnight, not hung but within storage guidelines per the NF I was in. Next morning it had been strewn all about, some partially consumed, and one of three meat bags missing entirely. It could not have been a small bear, regardless of species. The area is within occupied griz range but is not what I'd consider a hot spot.

I took pictures, took the biggest remaining bag of meat, and hiked out. I called the warden, explained the situation, and asked him what I should do. His guidance was if the remaining meat was not apparently cached by the bear and/or pissed on ("claimed") that I needed to go back for it. I had been hunting alone, but brought a friend back for the rest of the meat and camp/antlers, which were elsewhere on that mountain. We packed it out and everything was fine. Two years later I found the remains of the third bag of meat, probably 200 yds from where it had been.

If he did not ask me to go back for the meat strewn about I absolutely would not have, even though I respect that warden and understand the rationale. Returning to meat, or worse yet a kill site, is the most dangerous aspect of hunting in grizzly county IMO, and by quite a bit. When exactly it's been "claimed" by a griz is not so black and white, and it's a line I don't have interest in walking more than necessary.
Interesting that he recommended the exact opposite of everything published on their website.

And the whole grey area, and the argument @wllm made about if you decide it hasn't been cached but just messed with, and you go in there, the bear charges, you kill the bear, and now WFGD decides that you shouldn't have, and now you've illegally killed an endangered species. All the while you're simply trying to retrieve a meat and a trophy that you may never draw again...

it just give me heart burn even thinking about it.

I'd leave it. When I was in college in Cincinnati there was a guy that brought a black bear cub for exhibition. Even though he (the cub) was a little guy, the guy bringing him said he has incredible power an could easily over take a grown man.

This is a true story. I hunted back bear up in Quebec 15 years ago with a very well-known guide. My buddy had shot a decent size, 300-350lb bear and went out to the road to wait for the guide to show up. The guide arrives and they go in to get Louie's bear. Where's your bear Louie? Bucky rushes back to the truck to get the 12ga. slug gun. Louie was wondering WTF? Bucky knew what had happened, and it took Louie a bit to figure out what bucky had figured out. They finally found it about 100 or so yards away with most of the guts eaten out. THERE WERE NO DRAG MARKS. Louie is a very experienced hunter and tracker. A bigger bear had picked it up in it's jaws and carried it away. So even a black bear can have tremendous strength. I can't imagine a grizzly.

Interesting that he recommended the exact opposite of everything published on their website.

And the whole grey area, and the argument @wllm made about if you decide it hasn't been cached but just messed with, and you go in there, the bear charges, you kill the bear, and now WFGD decides that you shouldn't have, and now you've illegally killed an endangered species. All the while you're simply trying to retrieve a meat and a trophy that you may never draw again...

it just give me heart burn even thinking about it.
What exact scenario are you wondering about. You've shot a bull. Where from here to truck are you worried and what concerns you. Having put your tag on it and then having a bear take it and then the warden not giving you another tag?

I called the warden, explained the situation, and asked him what I should do. His guidance was if the remaining meat was not apparently cached by the bear and/or pissed on ("claimed") that I needed to go back for it. I had been hunting alone, but brought a friend back for the rest of the meat and camp/antlers, which were elsewhere on that mountain. We packed it out and everything was fine. Two years later I found the remains of the third bag of meat, probably 200 yds from where it had been.

Should've invited the warden to join you on that little traipse through the woods 🤣

I'd say that's just a part of hunting in G bear country. No different than coyotes eating it around here. Ymmv
Except I can still retrieve anything that a yote messes with without fear of death or if it does attack I can kill it without any issue and it's not that hard to protect it from a yoke or packout a deer night of.
What exact scenario are you wondering about. You've shot a bull. Where from here to truck are you worried and what concerns you. Having put your tag on it and then having a bear take it and then the warden not giving you another tag?
I'm pretty certain you don't get another tag no matter what.

I'm concerned with all that grey area snowy talked about and that I know that I'm going to have a real hard time walking away from something that I've invested so much time and effort, and giveashit, into, and what the legal ramifications could be with all that.

Assuming you don't have a tag to take the bear then it gets a little dicey. We have an obligation to take the meat, but, assuming it's a griz, I'm never going to shoot it to reclaim my kill. It's not worth the headache. At that point I'll be mad but it's better than the alternative. If the bear isn't on the kill when you get back to it I would take what I can carry and get out of there asap That's a really dangerous situation but I don't want to waste the meat. It's all really dependent on the circumstances. The headache caused by shooting a griz can last years and cost a lot more than the cost of the hunt. Ultimately I'm only shooting the bear if I'm being attacked. Otherwise you will never be able to justify it in court.

Last edited:
Except I can still retrieve anything that a yote messes with without fear of death or if it does attack I can kill it without any issue and it's not that hard to protect it from a yoke or packout a deer night of.

I'm concerned with all that grey area snowy talked about and that I know that I'm going to have a real hard time walking away from something that I've invested so much time and effort, and giveashit, into, and what the legal ramifications could be with all that.
I understand now and....well good luck either way I guess. I read it as you were worried about wasting your tag.

Gotcha, no scenario where a bull you shoot ends up with another chance at it. For some reason I thought that was what you were actually asking.

Back