Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

Would it be better to try and pack out the elk in the dark? Possibly with a grizz closing in? Or go back the next morning and have to deal with a bear that has claimed the carcass?

My friend shot a sheep one time with his bow and they had to wait until the next day to go get it because it was gut shot.

When they got there a grizzly had claimed it.

His guide said, "watch this" and rode his horse right at the bear at full speed and ran the bear off long enough to be able to grab the horns.....

My buddy said it was the stupidest thing he had ever seen anyone do in his life and he tough wood shop at a public school so that's saying something. lol

BC5A13D1-1C37-4F08-A6F7-F7A553ABD07B.jpeg62467D4C-015D-4BD7-9ED9-7AF67BCE86A6.jpeg

This happened the third week of November. Somehow the combination of the bear’s good behavior, the 25 lbs of boned out neck meat he had eaten, divine protection of fools and children and who knows what else allowed @theat and myself to reclaim the quarters and cut the head from the butchered carcass.

I felt pretty good about ourselves at the time. The following fall there were two maulings within two miles of this spot. I am thinking now our success was not attributable to our good plan and execution.

I wonder if a weed burner electric fence on battery would work well enough to keep a bear off a kill. Lot of weight to carry. Its one thing to deter around a campsite but blood and guts in its face whole different scenario. Music prob just dining music to them with blood in nose.
You need at least a 3 joule electric fence for a bear because of all the fur, better a 4-5 joule. And you're right, it's a lot to carry unless ya got a horse. BTW, there is an outfit that sells a "Bear Fence for your tent/camp ground. That is not enough fence with sufficient joules to keep a bear away. They say it does, but I don't believe them. I think it's only half a joule.

The tag must be filled before leaving the kill site. That's the law.
I know that...but the OP never said if they actually had found it right after shooting it....left it over night and then tracked it in the AM....etc.etc...a few details are totally missing from this so I took the approach that they shot one, left it over night and when they tracked it and found it that it had been claimed by a bear. In that case...they way I described it...just go shoot another one cause you did not ever tag it.

I know that...but the OP never said if they actually had found it right after shooting it....left it over night and then tracked it in the AM....etc.etc...a few details are totally missing from this so I took the approach that they shot one, left it over night and when they tracked it and found it that it had been claimed by a bear. In that case...they way I described it...just go shoot another one cause you did not ever tag it.
That is an interesting point and topic. You are supposed to make a "reasonable attempt to recover an animal you have attempted to kill" and if you get to the spot where the animal died and there is grizzly bear on it, is that considered "reasonable attempt" and its over with? It's claimed by something else already.

Think about this for comparison: What if rather than a grizzly, it was a hunter standing over it with their tag on it. That morning they saw your bedded bull and it couldn't run away because it was wounded so bad but not dead. The hunter shoots it to put it out of its misery and puts their tag on it. As the original hunter that shot that bull, you are going to continue hunting and try to fill your tag right?

I think the best option if you have to leave it is to pack quarters as far away from the kill site as reasonably possible. In the Brushy Selkirk I know that's gonna be tough....But the hope is that the gutpile/backbone will be the low hanging fruit and keep the bear and the associated ravens crows and magpies on it rather than your meat.

For hunters on foot, that means packing a load out of the boned out Loins, and tenderloins, in their pack while the shoulders and hams get hung. (From personal experience Sawing backbones with Wyoming saw is for the birds).

Hunting in G-bear Country means having a solid Meat extrication plan akin to RIT ( Rapid Intervention Team ) for firefighters in burning buildings or SOF in the Middle East. We don't have the luxury of having uncle Joe drive in to our road end camp that night with his pasture nags and strolling up the creek the next morning. We gotta plan for the worst and hope for the best.

The best mannered G-Bears I've seen were in a grazing allotment where the cowboys made it a point to harass any bear they saw during the summer. I'm talking Charge of the Light Brigade, dogs, rifles and pistols in the general direction of the bears. Unfortunately that allotment was retired, and the elk hunting has declined as well...

But if guys can hunt Kodiak and not lose deer to Bears I guess we can as well. We just gotta plan our foray into enemy territory.

i think back to the OSHA ruling on the Death of Mark Uptain in Wyoming...

JACKSON (WNE) — Workplace safety regulators are not faulting Martin Outfitters for training-, preparedness- or manpower-related factors in the death of guide Mark Uptain, who was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear.​
A “notification of penalty” document that the Wyoming office of Occupational Safety and Health Administration provided to the News&Guide on Tuesday afternoon details a single violation that came with a $5,000 penalty: not reporting the high-profile death within eight hours of a workplace fatality. That violation was classified as “other-than-serious.”​
A second “other-than serious” violation that carried no fine was issued for failing to verify the existence of a required workplace hazard assessment.​

That is an interesting point and topic. You are supposed to make a "reasonable attempt to recover an animal you have attempted to kill" and if you get to the spot where the animal died and there is grizzly bear on it, is that considered "reasonable attempt" and its over with? It's claimed by something else already.

Think about this for comparison: What if rather than a grizzly, it was a hunter standing over it with their tag on it. That morning they saw your bedded bull and it couldn't run away because it was wounded so bad but not dead. The hunter shoots it to put it out of its misery and puts their tag on it. As the original hunter that shot that bull, you are going to continue hunting and try to fill your tag right?

I've been the Hunter that finished a bull. Fortunately the hunter that wounded it in the morning told us, and we had his phone #. After I finished his mortally wounded bull, We made a ribbon trail out to guide him into it. Maybe if it had been the last day of the season I wouldn't, but i killed my own 2 days later.

The tag must be filled before leaving the kill site. That's the law.
Once I find the dead critter and put my hands on it, i'm notching and signing my tag. If I make multiple trips to haul it out it is in my pocket until all pieces are together in truck/trailhead or camp.

My friend shot a sheep one time with his bow and they had to wait until the next day to go get it because it was gut shot.

When they got there a grizzly had claimed it.

His guide said, "watch this" and rode his horse right at the bear at full speed and ran the bear off long enough to be able to grab the horns.....

My buddy said it was the stupidest thing he had ever seen anyone do in his life and he tough wood shop at a public school so that's saying something. lol
Can't believe he thought it was stupid.
That cowboy has balls and saved the day! Never underestimate testosterone and a shot of ego.

You need at least a 3 joule electric fence for a bear because of all the fur, better a 4-5 joule. And you're right, it's a lot to carry unless ya got a horse. BTW, there is an outfit that sells a "Bear Fence for your tent/camp ground. That is not enough fence with sufficient joules to keep a bear away. They say it does, but I don't believe them. I think it's only half a joule.
I had a horse that somehow knew that in winter his coat was so heavy he could ignore fence. Got so P.O.ed at him that I tried different wire to see if I could get better contact. Finally after zero success, I used barb wire as hot wire. Before anyone goes off, I had 2 major high speed highways in close proximity so it was more than critical to keep him in. The barbs seem to penetrate just enough into his wooly coat to jolt the crap out of him. Never a problem again. So I am thinking that a electric fence conductor that has something similar to help penetrate fur might just be added performance to convey shock. Electric fences are rated usually by acres or miles to have 1 joule rating. So even a smallest acreage used for 25x25' would be extremely powerful! Way more than 1 joule. I sure wouldn't want to back into it with wet T shirt! Yes, I did and it was on a small pen with weed burner. I thought I was shot in back! Any bear taking that kind of jolt will not want to test it again. My back muscles were spasming for hours like from heavy Tens treatment!

Like many things that have to do with bear safety, when everything is going as planned it’s not that hard.

Fence setup can be time consuming in tall grass and brush, unless you spend a lot of time clearing; otherwise the vegetation will draw too much current. Clear, rocky flats and you can’t get the posts staked very well. Not a big deal for a car or horse camp where a saw might be handy and you’re unlikely to move it. For a mobile backpack camp not the same. Still a great option to have absolutely, but it’s never as easy as it looks on TV…

My feeling is you don't need a corral just 25'x25' might be enough. So prob not a lot of effort to clear. The total weight and incumbrance is the PITA. But if you had the luxury of having one available it might just be worth the effort.

I was curious so I sent an email to nols.edu to see what specifics they may have for bear deterrence fencing. I will post up any response.

My feeling is you don't need a corral just 25'x25' might be enough. So prob not a lot of effort to clear. The total weight and incumbrance is the PITA. But if you had the luxury of having one available it might just be worth the effort.

I was curious so I sent an email to nols.edu to see what specifics they may have for bear deterrence fencing. I will post up any response.

I have the Udap one, taking it to Alaska tomorrow. I set it up the other day and the fence encloses an area about 27'x27', pretty good size for a tent camp plus 4 separate pee corners. I feel like 8 stakes would be much better than 4 for keeping the fence taut though...we'll see, I'll report back in a couple weeks, but hopefully we don't have to test it much!

I've been the Hunter that finished a bull. Fortunately the hunter that wounded it in the morning told us, and we had his phone #. After I finished his mortally wounded bull, We made a ribbon trail out to guide him into it. Maybe if it had been the last day of the season I wouldn't, but i killed my own 2 days later.
If this is was in Wyoming it's illegal. No matter how wounded it was, you killed it. When you left the kill site without filling your tag, you broke the law.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back