Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A-18 (X9c) Hunt Done. THANKFULLY

Bowhunter60

STARTING OUT

Since I was unsuccessful in the California units containing my prized honey-holes. I opted to go into a unit I've never hunted before and try something a little different. Since A18 had some left over, undrawn, tags, I simply picked up one of those tags and began to plan my hunt.

I contacted the Biologist for the area who had some lukewarm answers. Nothing enthusiastic in terms of numbers of deer in the unit. But, ever the optimist, I didn't let that deter me from just getting out for some hunting.

I made calls to whom ever I could. Conducted countless house of virtual/digital scouting. And, after having identified what I thought were good areas made my decision on 3 areas that deserved some scouting. In the interim, I have a nephew who has never been hunting. He's had some run-ins with law enforcement and I thought; this might be a good opportunity to introduce him to the sport and do a little mentoring.

I got in touch with him, and, not surprisingly he jumped at the chance. So, I bought him a good starter bow, some good arrows, and a few camo items. Then, it was time to get him shooting the bow and get him proficient with it. Which, we continued on the days we were up in camp scouting.

SCOUTING

We arrived at our camp, at about 8,700 feet up, about 4 days before the opener. We scouted everything from 7500 - 12000 feet. It's dry in California as you know, so my focus this time of year was bachelor groups, water, cover, and food. We found sign, but it was not nearly what we'd like to have seen, and frankly, I was getting a little discouraged. I talked with some other hunters who were up there, and a couple of them were having the same issue. A couple of them also said, "If you find the sheep, you'll find the deer." Good advice. But I cannot tell you how many hours I spent behind the spotting scope and bino's looking for movement at 12000 feet and lower from dawn, dusk and in between. NADA!:mad: The deer had to be here, but I was having no luck finding them.

OPENING DAY OPTIMISM TO DEPRESSION

We were up early, had some coffee and light breakfast and drove the few miles to the area I'd decided to hunt. On the way in, I spotted three nice bucks, about 50 yards off the road. I told my nephew, sit tight, we're gonna drive up the road and get out of sight. About a 1/4 mile up I pointed out some trees about 75 yards away and told him to get sit down there and wait. The deer were gonna walk within 25 yards of that spot. Once he was settled in where he needed to be, I continued down the road a bit further and out of sight, got out my binos and started watching my nephew and the deer. After a while, and nothing, I went back his direction and got eyes on where we'd seen the deer. No deer, only a white pick up pulled over on the side of the road. CRAP!

I walked over to the two guys in the truck and asked if they'd seen the deer. The driver said they had, and his partner had arrowed one of them. I said to him, "From the road!". Of course, you know the answer. My effort and desire to teach my nephew some ethics and respect for the harvest, had in some ways been wounded by two guys who looked like they came right out of Haight-Ashbury. I simply took the opportunity to explain why, what they did was improper. You may think I'm splitting hairs here, and that's fine. I know what they did, unethical or illegal, is a very common occurrence among those who are out for the kill only.

After a long day of hunting, and seeing no other deer it was back to camp. I met up with another hunter I'd met up there who related an even more maddening story. Before I go into that, let me put in a little history here. We got to our camp location 4 days before opener, the only ones up there. As the week went on, we noticed more and more Subaru wagons, Fiats, Audis, and other such vehicles arriving in the area. I got a bad feeling about it, but, what the heck, keep hunting and try and stay away from them.

My friend told me that night, he'd stuck a decent buck. Sat down as we all do and let the animal expire peacefully. NOPE. One of our friendly, "open-minded", love children from California came walking up the trail whistling and whooping. He'd seen my friend shoot the deer and was now doing everything he could to keep the deer moving. My friend approached him and said, "you realize you just scared off a wounded deer?!" His answer, "Yes! You hunters!":mad:

WRAP UP

Anyway, after 8 days of hard searching, and little to show for it, we headed home empty handed. Had it not been for the unethical actions of two other hunters and the presence of anti-hunters in the area. I'd call this trip a huge success. But, as if to throw gasoline on the fire. On the way out, we stopped at a USFS campground to dispose of our three bags of trash. We stopped at the dumpsters and unloaded the trash. Wouldn't you know it, and I am in no way exaggerating, some guy in his 50's, with a ponytail, shorts, and birkenstocks, walks over to us and says, "Would you mind turning off your truck while you do that?" My nephew and I looked at each other and simultaneously said, "Yes!"

Would I try that unit again? Not sure, it will depend on whether I get drawn for my out of state tags. Those will be my priority.

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,273
I've been trying my luck in D14 but don't have much to show for it either.

Sorry about the unethical hunters. It's never been about the kill for me, it's about a real pursuit of the animal. Mano a mano on their turf. I'm sure your nephew has learned that now.

Thanks for posting.

Hey Watt,

D14 is a tough unit to hunt. The deer are there, but not in any great abundance. Frankly, aside from portions of the A, B, and zones. The deer population statewide is not what it should and could be. I prefer Mule Deer, hence the reason I stick to the Eastern Sierras. I've had great success there, but you have to draw the unit first, which as you now know, I didn't.

Are you doing stick and string or rifle this year?

I've been trying my luck in D14 but don't have much to show for it either.

Sorry about the unethical hunters. It's never been about the kill for me, it's about a real pursuit of the animal. Mano a mano on their turf. I'm sure your nephew has learned that now.

Thanks for posting.

Bummer about being hassled/etc. I'm heading out there next week, not sure how I'd handle a hippie chasing my wounded deer away.

Hey Watt,

D14 is a tough unit to hunt. The deer are there, but not in any great abundance. Frankly, aside from portions of the A, B, and zones. The deer population statewide is not what it should and could be. I prefer Mule Deer, hence the reason I stick to the Eastern Sierras. I've had great success there, but you have to draw the unit first, which as you now know, I didn't.

Are you doing stick and string or rifle this year?

I usually just try to do it all with my bow. I just moved to SoCal for Graduate school. As a lifelong Montanan it has been startling different hunting down here. I was only able to turn up one deer in two days.

I had hoped to hunt in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, which is why I bought the D14 tag. I did not hear about the Fish Lake fire closure until a week before the season, so all my digital scouting efforts went out the window. I was hoping to hunt high and remote but I have not found an alternative place yet.

My new strategy is to focus on more recent burns where the grass has come in better. The terrain down here is quite different than what I am used to and I am facing a steep learning curve.

HAHAHA...I've been a lifelong CA resident and hunter, except for my time on active duty. And believe me, CA is no hunter paradise. What you get, you have to work hard for. Just keep in mind in most of California, you're hunting Blacktail. They have some similar habits as Mulies, but I liken them more to Whitetail. On the down side, they don't taste nearly as good as Mulie or Whitetail in my opinion.

On the bright side, I'm done here in the next couple of years, and I'm moving to either Arizona, Idaho, or Montana. As for hunting here, you'll do much better getting away from the roads. I know that's sound advice anywhere. But we have so many hunters in CA, the further away you're willing to go, the better your odds.

I usually just try to do it all with my bow. I just moved to SoCal for Graduate school. As a lifelong Montanan it has been startling different hunting down here. I was only able to turn up one deer in two days.

I had hoped to hunt in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, which is why I bought the D14 tag. I did not hear about the Fish Lake fire closure until a week before the season, so all my digital scouting efforts went out the window. I was hoping to hunt high and remote but I have not found an alternative place yet.

My new strategy is to focus on more recent burns where the grass has come in better. The terrain down here is quite different than what I am used to and I am facing a steep learning curve.

I suspect you'll see a lot of them, running up and down White Mountain Road. Just get several miles away from the road and you're in good shape.

Harassment of hunters and hazing during the season is illegal. would have used that day to have the F&G at least talk to him. what a drag

I agree with you. However, I did not see a single F&G or USFS unit the entire time I was up there. They were as scarce as the deer. ;)

Harassment of hunters and hazing during the season is illegal. would have used that day to have the F&G at least talk to him. what a drag

My bro was in 9b. Said FS folks were a big hassle with permits for Wilderness areas for hunting this year.Did jump a spike in truck camp area,lol.Said it was very dry in Taboose.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back