What are you guys paying for gas?

Moving to a 4 day work week was the most meaningful thing we did for staff retention in the last 5 years.
It really is, back when I was still Mining I loved the 4 day schedule. Nothing burns my ass worse than working 8 everyday then we work sautrday. I'd rather do 14's all week than touch Saturday. Albeit that's not always feasible.

Last edited:
For us, training is the difficult thing to do with people working remotely. And when it comes down to it, although you might not realize it, training is a big part of what we do as a CPA firm. I'm sure some of the more tech savvy folks can train well remotely, but we have had a hard time figuring that out since it is primarily on the job training.

We are performing audits remotely more than ever and have audit clients in several states that we do not travel to and that part works pretty well if the client is good with not having you there in person.

The other tricky thing is that there are a decent % of the workforce that doesn't seem to be able to be very productive working from home. Some of the better employees can do a good job of it, some of the not so great employees really struggle to get work completed remotely.

It is for sure going to be a challenge to keep flexible while also getting production at a level where you can make money.

Diesel is $4.35 at the cheapest place in town here, regular grade unleaded is $3.39.

Like the taxes you mentioned earlier. The employer is just giving them choices.

Choice 1. Come into the office

Choice 2. Go work somewhere else.
While true, it neglects to see people as varying in skills and ability. If employees are a commodity then you can give them ultimatums. If they have a specific set of skills that are high demand, you might have to change your approach. I think that was @BuzzH's point. If an employee has choices, how you treat them matters.

While true, it neglects to see people as varying in skills and ability. If employees are a commodity then you can give them ultimatums. If they have a specific set of skills that are high demand, you might have to change your approach. I think that was @BuzzH's point. If an employee has choices, how you treat them matters.

But if they don't necessarily have choices, how you treat them doesn't matter?

But if they don't necessarily have choices, how you treat them doesn't matter?
It matters to the decision-making process on whether to work at firm A or firm B. It always matters, but if someone is unemployed and looking for work, the company's reputation matters less. That employee will probably eventually leave at the first chance.

Just curious to see what anybody else's gas prices are lately, paid $3 here yesterday. Propane jumped from $1.09 in December called two weeks ago $2.50 hoping to make it into spring without a fill up, currently sitting at about 35% .🤞
I remember this post. Actually had a price involved! Who'da thunk it?:rolleyes:

Filled out my fuel expense report 2 days. 32ft gooseneck. 1 ton Ford. 725ish miles. 843.00.

I haven't had a 800 dollar week in the last 5 years.... did that in two days.

Nothing like selling overpriced shit burning down 5.00 average diesel.

How's my "oxford" looking @wllm1313?😉

Back