NEW SITKA Ambient 75

What are you guys paying for gas?

I’m pretty sure they’re probably the peoples employees not yours.
Results matter, nothing else.

Chaining people to a desk for 8 hours in an office, forcing them to commute hours a day, that's not going to work for anyone.

Those that want to continue on that path are going to find it difficult to employee decent help, that simple.

Like the taxes you mentioned earlier. The employer is just giving them choices.

Choice 1. Come into the office

Choice 2. Go work somewhere else.
Trust me, the best employees absolutely will work somewhere else.

They have tons of options, way better ones than being chained to a desk in cubeville.

and on, and on, and on.

The cat is out of the bag.

In the Information Technology field in which I work, you cannot hire employees if you do not offer at least a hybrid model. Right now. I recently saw a job in my field that 2 years ago got 50 applicants, get 3, due to not offering remote work.

I can sympathize with saying everyone comes in once every two weeks or something, just so souls are in the same room to strengthen teams, but teleworking is the way of the world now. It happened just like that.

I think this will spread to other fields where work can be done just as good at home as in the office - more than it already has. Lots of studies out there showing a flexible and positive work culture is worth tens of thousands of dollars to folks. To some, it is priceless.

See the variable there was all environments were the same so pay and benefits were the only variable.

Not the case anymore, I think a lot of folks are willing to take a huge pay cut for flexibility.
Worth reading twice. Business's will either adapt or die.

They will work where the best pay and benefits are just like they always have.

it's not that simple. what a "benefit" is has steadily been changing over the years and even moreso since covid.

80% of our IT department turned over in about a week when my employer started talking about no more work from home... just talking about it.

HR lost people too. those are positions where it's easy to go anywhere.

i think i can speak for my millenial and gen z counter parts when i say i would take a salary hit for a hybrid or work from home schedule.

those of us with more specialty positions that cant slide into just any other company or org and do the same thing like IT or HR can are just as fed up. it just takes us longer to figure out where we're going. i think my employer is going to have a huge wake up call over this next year or two. so are a lot of other employers.

Trust me, the best employees absolutely will work somewhere else.

They have tons of options, way better ones than being chained to a desk in cubeville.
This is very true and something we have seen raising its head a bit.

The part that gets us, is that even though some folks work at a desk for the majority of their day, they cannot effectively work from home. The majority of the desk jobs here still require the person to be able to get to the pit just about every day, even if only for a short while. The 40 minute drive from town just doesn't make it practical to work from home. To some extent we compete for talent that can work elsewhere and hardly ever need to leave their house.

See the variable there was all environments were the same so pay and benefits were the only variable.

Not the case anymore, I think a lot of folks are willing to take a huge pay cut for flexibility.
Totally.

Flexible work environment is a benefit, as meaningful to some as insurance, paid time off, a company vehicle, wages, etc.I can really only speak to the IT realm, but even organizations typically slow to adapt, like government, have sounded alarms internally that they adapt immediately, and they have, or services never interrupted historically risk not existing at all. Workers in the space have that much leverage right now, and it is kind of beautiful in my mind. They really aren't asking for much.

Why do people want more commuting, serious question?

Lots of jobs require you to be on site, but why not have 1/2 as many cars on the road... do you hate yourself lol
If you are not gong into the office, you can not flirt with the 20 year old intern bringing you coffee.

On a serous note, I am all for people working from home when they can. Working from home does have its limitations though. I did not put my name in the hat for the elk committee because I very much dislike Zoom meetings.
For one it is very hard to read body language from a screen and on that committee that would have come in handy.
Second, there is no chance for the informal chatting when the meeting is not in session.
For example if you tell someone they are off base in front of everyone you just going to make an enemy, catch them during a break and explain your point of view nicely you have a chance to persuade them to your point of view.

This is very true and something we have seen raising its head a bit.

The part that gets us, is that even though some folks work at a desk for the majority of their day, they cannot effectively work from home. The majority of the desk jobs here still require the person to be able to get to the pit just about every day, even if only for a short while. The 40 minute drive from town just doesn't make it practical to work from home. To some extent we compete for talent that can work elsewhere and hardly ever need to leave their house.
Yep, doesn't work in every situation, that's a fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back