Swarovski repair service

Maybe I continue to be too trusting? I buy and sell lots of online items, I didn’t feel like this deal had much risk. I am sending the product to the manufacturer that claims to have a lifetime warranty. I called Swarovski, explained the situation, registered the product and told them what repairs I wanted done. I even followed up after they arrived, but was only given the generic info of “wait time is 6-8 weeks”. In the past year I have probably bought, sold, and traded 20 different hunting optics. Many of them have been used items and I had the factory clean them up before using the item. I have had some minor issues with Leupold and vortex, but every time they immediately took care of the issue and made it right. So maybe I am spoiled by the idea of amazing customer service.

I question why someone would downgrade from Swaro to Vortex. I think the problem is with the seller. He was getting rid of damaged gear.

I think you handled it just right. I think Swaro service should be better and should have treated the situation completely differently. Their products are a premium, and I understand why, but with the premium price you need premium customer service. Sometimes that requires them to bite the bullet and take blame, or deny blame but still fix the situation. I have Vortex, I can't afford Swaro prices. Having a no questions asked lifetime warranty is nice to have. I broke my Vortex bino's (my fault) they replaced them. I was only out shipping one way. They do have a great product that you can get on my budget. My hunting partner uses Leupold, and had to have a repair and was treated the same way with excellent customer service, and he swears by them. I get in rough area's hunting and accidents do happen, the warranty is what makes me stay with them. In reality of the situation though, no matter the company and product, there is always a lemon somewhere in the group, and that includes employees/customer service. If you really like Swaro products and you don't mind this hiccup, stick with it - maybe you never need a repair again, or if you do, things are handled correctly.

Sometimes that requires them to bite the bullet and take blame, or deny blame but still fix the situation.

I dont agree with this. Honestly from a business stance, why should they fix and eat the cost of a mistake that they believe they didnt cause. If I back my truck into an object, is it Ford's responsibility to fix it since its their brand or is it mine since I caused the damage? Yes I do understand other vendors do have the no questions asked warranty and as has been mentioned I believe its because their products are cheaper to replace than fix. Thats their business model. Swarovski to my knowledge has never claimed to have a no questions asked warranty. I was surprised by the OPs post that they offered to discount their services. That was a good offer considering they dont think it was their fault and there is no proof the binos were not damaged before being sent in.

I have a pair of EL range and have loved them. My only interaction with customer service is when I lost a couple of the connection caps that attached the harness. It was my fault as I was trying to use a different brand harness and the cap wouldnt secure properly. I contacted Swaro and asked how I could buy a replacement pair since they weren't sold online. They sent me a brand new pair overnight free of charge. I was extremely pleased and surprised as I fully expected to pay for my mistake.

I dont agree with this. Honestly from a business stance, why should they fix and eat the cost of a mistake that they believe they didnt cause. If I back my truck into an object, is it Ford's responsibility to fix it since its their brand or is it mine since I caused the damage? Yes I do understand other vendors do have the no questions asked warranty and as has been mentioned I believe its because their products are cheaper to replace than fix. Thats their business model. Swarovski to my knowledge has never claimed to have a no questions asked warranty. I was surprised by the OPs post that they offered to discount their services. That was a good offer considering they dont think it was their fault and there is no proof the binos were not damaged before being sent in.

I have a pair of EL range and have loved them. My only interaction with customer service is when I lost a couple of the connection caps that attached the harness. It was my fault as I was trying to use a different brand harness and the cap wouldnt secure properly. I contacted Swaro and asked how I could buy a replacement pair since they weren't sold online. They sent me a brand new pair overnight free of charge. I was extremely pleased and surprised as I fully expected to pay for my mistake.

I've done the same with lens caps that fell off in the field. Never paid a dime for them.

I can understand why you might be against Swaro biting the bullet and fixing the situation, comparing it to known damage you did on a truck doesn't really compare. Truth is, we won't know who really caused the damage. Sounds like there was plenty of photo's and communication between buyer and sellers. It could have happened on sellers end not knowing, by a family member messing around with them just before mailing them. According to OP when notifying the seller "I contact the buyer, he says he is shocked. Immediately asks how he fixes it, send me back my other bino's, send me more cash, anything.." To me, it just it seems like it definitely could have been handled better, and being in customer service, between companies, it's a relationship, not a one time transaction. Yes, they have customer service guidelines that need to be followed, there is always exceptions to the rule. If you look at his first e-mail, no receipt, no photo's sent to him of new damages seen by Swaro, no lense caps sent as agreed upon... they dropped the ball on customer service. Giving a 'free expedited service $50 value' is not a bonus, it should be done regardless without touting it as special savings the OP doesn't have to pay. In addition, 20% discount is not much at all.

I have seen a couple comments about Vortex being different, because they just replace broken gear (i.e. it's cheap and disposable). This may be true of their lower end items, I have never had that experience though. I primarily have had Viper, and Razor stuff. It all has serial numbers and has always been repaired for me free of charge. You may disagree with my logic, but this is how I see it.

Swarovski EL 10x42's retail for around $2800
Vortex Razor HD 10x42's retail for around $1000

Right up front, there is a price difference relative to the quality difference, going forward I would fully expect Swarovski to be on par with Vortex regarding warranty if they want to compete in the binocular business (I honestly don't think Swaro's quality is $1800 better, so they have some ground to make up with customer service). The bar has been raised in that industry, it's a cost to everyone, but some companies are stepping up. I am sure Leupold and Vortex would love to charge for their repairs... but they don't.

Last edited:
Looks like somebody threw those glasses out of a vehicle on the interstate. I'm surprised they spent the time trying to reason with you.

Was dating a gal whose dad was an outfitter back in 2007, she had been given a pair of absolutely trashed swaros (old low end model) for a tip helping pack out an elk. I borrowed them for a few weeks to see what I could do to make them useable, they were that bad. Wrapped them up in a USMC t-shift, wrote a nice note and sent them off with my Marine Corps business card to see what they would do. In 2 weeks the VP of marketing came through where I was stationed on a business trip and personally delivered a brand new pair of SLC’s to my office. Talk about going above and beyond!

I have mixed feelings about their customer service. They treat you very nice and polite when talking to them but seem kind of disorganized.

Last spring I had my ELs in their chest case in the top of my backpack, which I thought was closed when i lifted it inside my truck, the binos in their case fell to the asphalt, causing a similar damage as the OP causing the right side to not focus. I sent them in to RI, they sent them to Austria. I can’t rememver the exact price but it was about $200 and 2 months to fix.

On the second day of my sheep hunt in the NWT the focus knob popped off, the seal broke and the lubricant was all over. I could focus gen by sticking my finger inside and turning it. Very frustrating.
When I returned from the hunt I notified them, and they told me to send them to RI. I offered to pay for expedited fix, but after looking at them told me that they’d again go to Austria and
There’s no expediting that.
They sent me a loaner pair to use until mine were fixed after I inquired about such a thing since hunting season was quickly approaching. This was mid August. Around November 10 I was notified my EL were fixed and back in RI and Incould have them when they received the loaner. I didn’t want to be without binos long so i overnighted the loaners and waited. And waited. Hunting season in Montana ended and I sent an email asking if they received the loaners. I got no response but got a shipping confirmation a few hours later. I went the last two weeks of season with no binos. Not the end of the world.

During this last interaction communication was challenging. I would have a different customer service rep each time. I continually said I preferred to communicate via email because i work at an underground mine that doesn’t have cell reception even on surface. Yet, they continued to call, not leave
Voicemails and then eventually email me to tell me that I had been unreachable via cell phone.

All in all my ELs spent about as much time in Austria in 2017. One time my fault. One time not. It’s unfortunate simple repairs like a focus wheel can’t be done in North America.

I rate the clarity of Swaro second to none. Durability is moderate. Customer service is okay depending who the individual you deal with is, but is not what you’d expect when you own $6k worth of their products.

I don’t expect a company to pay for my or anyone else’s irresponsibility with their high dollar product so the loaner was greatly appreciated and I didn’t mind paying when I dropped them, although I recognize that there are lesser brands that would have done it for free.

I have seen a couple comments about Vortex being different, because they just replace broken gear (i.e. it's cheap and disposable). This may be true of their lower end items, I have never had that experience though. I primarily have had Viper, and Razor stuff. It all has serial numbers and has always been repaired for me free of charge. You may disagree with my logic, but this is how I see it.

Swarovski EL 10x42's retail for around $2800
Vortex Razor HD 10x42's retail for around $1000

Right up front, there is a price difference relative to the quality difference, going forward I would fully expect Swarovski to be on par with Vortex regarding warranty if they want to compete in the binocular business (I honestly don't think Swaro's quality is $1800 better, so they have some ground to make up with customer service). The bar has been raised in that industry, it's a cost to everyone, but some companies are stepping up. I am sure Leupold and Vortex would love to charge for their repairs... but they don't.

Stuff from China is always cheaper. mtmuley

I just got my spotting scope back from them. Communication was excellent and no charge on anything and they upgraded the prism they replaced. It did take 6 weeks but they quoted that initially.

Stuff from China is always cheaper. mtmuley
Not for much longer!

I have never owned a pair of Swaro's, but they are the finest bino's out there, I have looked through enough and compared them to others, if I could afford a pair I would get some, over my side of the pond their customer service is second to none.

Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back