PEAX Equipment

What are you guys paying for gas?

That's the challenge as what to do with the huge group of people who can't/don't want earn enough income on their own to make it as self employed, but also don't really want to come to work for someone else.

This is why uber, gub hub, shopify, etc are so popular it's like owning their own business in short spurts but no real responsibility.

I think that's why offices worked as it forces people to at least appear to be working, show up, brush teeth, etc.... If a person can do their job from home in a few hours a day then it's really more of a part time job they want to be paid full time for. That's why we saw so many people who took on 2 jobs during the pandemic as they were only working 2-4 hours a day for each job. For those who are not ambitious they just slept and screwed around it seems.

Study Shows People Working From Home Are Having Sex, Dating, Taking Naps And Doing Side Hustles On Company Time​

well i think that just goes to show how efficient the world is now.

the only "corporate" folks i know who actually have 8-9 hours of ACTUAL work a day 5 days a week and barely seem to be able to stay above water are the "type A" folks living miserable stressed out lives. the types that HAVE to feel busy, not NEED to be busy. the types of people that could be stuck on a desert island with literally nothing but a free taco bar and supermodels but would still find a way to be stressed about having to get stuff done.

the reality is most crap can get done in less than eight hours. the forced work from home situation just exposed to employers how outdated their model is - forcing people to sit at work looking busy instead of having some degree of life when they get their shit done.

but gotta have asses in seats, cuz that's how it's always been done 🤷‍♂️

It's a choice...between 2 options.
But you are making them pick, essentially telling them what to do. When there wasn’t a choice that had to be made before.

All taxes are pretty much geared to stop or slow something. Cigarette taxes Aretha for revenue, they’re designed to stop people from smoking.

So say everyone works from home, what do we do with all the office space? Abandoned buildings in Detroit and other cities are sure doing well. I guess we can raise more taxes for the government to buy them, demolish them, and give them away.

If capitalism has historically been about the most efficient allocation of capital in terms of profit, why can't capital be allocated based on something positive like social change or the environment?
Never said it couldn't. People and businesses can do as they wish. It has more to do with my thoughts that the vast majority of ESG stats are window dressing and little more. Does anyone actually think Coca-Cola believed in the core tenets of the BLM movement or just really wanted to make sure they didn't get boycotted next.

As for me I will invest my money in profitable businesses. If you or others want to invest in societal change or environmental causes please do so.

Imposing a tax that is avoidable is not telling anyone how to manage.

I'm not telling them how to manage, just giving them a choice between door 1 and door 2 with different tax rates associated with each.
Luckily for everyone else, not even the idiots in DC are going to entertain your dumb tax law, Buzz.

But you are making them pick, essentially telling them what to do. When there wasn’t a choice that had to be made before.

All taxes are pretty much geared to stop or slow something. Cigarette taxes Aretha for revenue, they’re designed to stop people from smoking.

So say everyone works from home, what do we do with all the office space? Abandoned buildings in Detroit and other cities are sure doing well. I guess we can raise more taxes for the government to buy them, demolish them, and give them away.
I don't care what they do with abandoned office space. Rebuild affordable housing, tear it down and build a park, grow food on it...sky is the limit.

Think of all the money to be saved without having an office. No heat bill, no janitorial expenses, no office furniture, no water bill, and on and on and on.

It flat makes zero sense to have an office for the sake of babysitting. None.

Housing.

Despite the fact that we (forum folks) don't like living in cities a lot of people do.

I don't care what they do with abandoned office space. Rebuild affordable housing, tear it down and build a park, grow food on it...sky is the limit.

Think of all the money to be saved without having an office. No heat bill, no janitorial expenses, no office furniture, no water bill, and on and on and on.

It flat makes zero sense to have an office for the sake of babysitting. None.
Well I hope businesses can figure this out on there own, without the government having to "babysit" them. After all business owners are pretty slow at such things like maximizing profits, without a little help from big brother.

Well I hope businesses can figure this out on there own, without the government having to "babysit" them. After all business owners are pretty slow at such things like maximizing profits, without a little help from big brother.
Sure seems they're damn slow...and the only reason some saw the light is because of a pandemic.

Never said it couldn't. People and businesses can do as they wish. It has more to do with my thoughts that the vast majority of ESG stats are window dressing and little more. Does anyone actually think Coca-Cola believed in the core tenets of the BLM movement or just really wanted to make sure they didn't get boycotted next.

As for me I will invest my money in profitable businesses. If you or others want to invest in societal change or environmental causes please do so.
I agree, but the thought process and investing rationale of boomers and Gen z has been turned to a new paradigm for millennials and Gen Z. Capital grows when it attracts more capital, so it can’t be denied even if we don’t agree with it as a concept.

Your example is complex. Coca Cola isn’t a single person or thing. It is made up of many employees selling many products to many people. It was not possible for the company to believe or not the core tenets of BLM. But if customers substituted other products for their coke because they didn’t like KOs public stance on the subject then it matters to the shareholders. A company should try to play nice in the sand box (my bastardized description of the core concept of ESG). It does matter.

I agree, but the thought process and investing rationale of boomers and Gen z has been turned to a new paradigm for millennials and Gen Z. Capital grows when it attracts more capital, so it can’t be denied even if we don’t agree with it as a concept.

Your example is complex. Coca Cola isn’t a single person or thing. It is made up of many employees selling many products to many people. It was not possible for the company to believe or not the core tenets of BLM. But if customers substituted other products for their coke because they didn’t like KOs public stance on the subject then it matters to the shareholders. A company should try to play nice in the sand box (my bastardized description of the core concept of ESG). It does matter.
(y)

It's not that X bank doesn't want to invest in OG, it's that 55 million Americans don't want them to.

@Stocker

Right in the heart of down town

Housing.

Despite the fact that we (forum folks) don't like living in cities a lot of people do.

They’ve already tried that in the inner cities……… sure there’s some redevelopment and near places but that really only works well in highly sought markets. The downtowns of most midwestern cities are already in shambles. That’s why urban sprawl is occurring at an astonishing rate

I’m not saying I want people commuting, but there’s a lot more thought that goes into these processes other than the “good idea fairy” showing up and sprinkling pixie dust on it.

@Stocker

Right in the heart of down town

Sure theres places like that, but there’s as many areas run down and abandoned.

Were the feds doing a lot of work from home previous to covid?
Prior to the babyboomer stuffed suit filled by Perdue, yes.

During his reign of terror reduced to one day a week.

Now that he's gone it's back to expanded telework for most jobs and more remote work designations.

The biggest issue I see with the work from home revolution is it will allow people to move out into the country and not have to worry about a long commute to the office. Should help the environment with less demand for gas, but the increase in demand for twenty acre "ranches" with a view is not going to end well for open space.

The biggest issue I see with the work from home revolution is it will allow people to move out into the country and not have to worry about a long commute to the office. Should help the environment with less demand for gas, but the increase in demand for twenty acre "ranches" with a view is not going to end well for open space.
Not everyone wants to live remote, but is a potential problem. But how is that any worse than someone commuting from a house they can afford in Wellington Colorado, commuting into Denver? The housing built in Wellington stomped wildlife habitat too.

I don't this this is accurate. I think people didn't want to live in a city during a pandemic, not that they wanted to live in the country.

Post pandemic I think (and we are seeing this) a rush back to cities.

They’ve already tried that in the inner cities……… sure there’s some redevelopment and near places but that really only works well in highly sought markets. The downtowns of most midwestern cities are already in shambles. That’s why urban sprawl is occurring at an astonishing rate

I’m not saying I want people commuting, but there’s a lot more thought that goes into these processes other than the “good idea fairy” showing up and sprinkling pixie dust on it.
I do get the point you are making, but I think the Midwest/rust belt is an entirely different set of circumstances.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back