Yeti GOBOX Collection

What are you guys paying for gas?

Holy cow, I didn't expect that big of a response.

I work on an mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU) for short. We have eight V-18 turbo-diesels that consume a LOT of fuel per hour when we are running at our "cruising speed" around 9 knots. The MODU i work on is a ship 767 feet long x 150 feet wide x 400 feet tall and weighs a lot due to the duel drilling derrick package on board along with the two Blow-Out Preventer "stacks". We are dsignated as Ultra-Deepwater Drilling Platform and use Azimuth Thrusters for propulsion and station keeping on location.

Think of a really old cadillac boat car that is slow and heavy and burns leaded only gas. That is basically where I work. Slow and steady wins the race out here. It took us 21 days to do the journey and we can stay on location indefinitely offshore as required (food limited) with a crew compliment of 200 souls.

I appreciate everyones curiosity. I forget that not everyone gets to see these behemoth "drillships".

If really interested, you can google "Ocean Blackhawk" images to get an idea how how big it is.

Last edited:
Holy cow, I didn't expect that big of a response.

I work on an mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU) for short. We have eight V-18 turbo-diesels that consume a LOT of fuel per hour when we are running at our "cruising speed" around 9 knots. The MODU i work on is a ship 767 feet long x 150 feet wide x 400 feet tall and weighs a lot due to the duel drilling derrick package on board along with the two Blow-Out Preventer "stacks". We are dsignated as Ultra-Deepwater Drilling Platform and use Azimuth Thrusters for propulsion and station keeping on location.

Think of a really old cadillac boat car that is slow and heavy and burns leaded only gas. That is basically where I work. Slow and steady wins the race out here. It took us 21 days to do the journey and we can stay on location indefinitely offshore as required (food limited) with a crew compliment of 200 souls.

I appreciate everyones curiosity. I forget that not everyon get to see these behemoth "drillships".

If really interested, you can google "Ocean Blackhawk" images to get an idea how how big it is.
Impressive...
1657715329439.png

$4.69 in Helena with the Conoco app discount.

Kept it at 60-65 mph on the way home. 29 mpg in the Subie and 14-15 in the Tundra pulling a small UHaul trailer.
The gasser 1500 GMC gets abut 18-19 unladen at Highway speeds. About 14-15 city. Very much like the Duramax with cheaper fuel options. The 2500hd had a 36 gallon tank to the 1500’s 24. The 285/65 R20’s mitigate consumption unfavorably.

It seems the lower powered engines really don't like anything other than what they were designed for. Larger tires, trailer, camper, anything over normal hiway speed kills the mileage. The flip side of that is my 7.3 Power Strokes don't care how you load it or drive it gets the same crappy mileage. My 2000 has gotten 12.6 from the day it was born.

Wife's autokraft has averaged 22mpg during the just over the 7k miles we've owned with it's EQ assist.

Filled up this morning at $4.79 for diesel. Second time I've been able to fill up without having to reinsert my card after hitting the limit. Seems like stations have adjusted as one fill up ended up at $170 on my trip to Colorado last week and this morning was $163 without shutting me down. Still have a couple stations that cut you off at $75 though.

Back