West Texas Aoudad Down

I agree about the exotics. I also believe that the second half of your statement is what the anti hunting crowd is using to fight against hunting. And we need support from the non-hunters who have not picked a side. Now read through this whole thread and think about what kind of opinions a non hunter might get based on the different comments. And I can guarantee you that a lot of the “lurkers” here are looking for information to use to draw those non hunters to their side.
Your grievance should be against the exotic game farms.

If you're trying to justify having exotic hunting, because its for conservation or to feed the family, I think that's a cause you lost from the get-go.

I think most nonhunters aren't as dumb as you make them sound. They realize Texas in an anomaly and that what goes on there in regard to exotics/feral animals is largely different than conserving (and hunting) native species like elk, deer, pronghorn, wild sheep, moose, caribou, mountain grouse, waterfowl, etc.

Again, for the record, I've shot a bunch of stuff in Texas, hogs, sika, fallow, axis, blackbuck, aoudad, etc. I don't leave any of it, its all good table fare. In particular the hogs.

But, I won't be brow beating others that want to leave it.

Your grievance should be against the exotic game farms.

If you're trying to justify having exotic hunting, because its for conservation or to feed the family, I think that's a cause you lost from the get-go.

I think most nonhunters aren't as dumb as you make them sound. They realize Texas in an anomaly and that what goes on there is largely different than conserving (and hunting) native species like elk, deer, pronghorn, wild sheep, moose, caribou, mountain grouse, waterfowl, etc.
I haven’t tried to justify having exotics, I actually hate that they are here. But they didn’t choose to be here and deserve the same respect as any other animal. What did I say that made non hunters sound dumb? I’m trying to get the hunting community to hold ourselves to a higher standard so that we can legitimately argue against the anti hunters.

I haven’t tried to justify having exotics, I actually hate that they are here. But they didn’t choose to be here and deserve the same respect as any other animal. What did I say that made non hunters sound dumb? I’m trying to get the hunting community to hold ourselves to a higher standard so that we can legitimately argue against the anti hunters.
You make it sound like they aren't smart enough to know the difference between an invasive exotic species and native wildlife. That raising and hunting exotics in Texas is no different than conservation efforts and hunting native elk, deer, pronghorn, etc.

Most are smart enough to realize that Texas really is not about wildlife conservation, feeding the family, etc.

It's 99% about trophy hunting, profits, entertainment, etc.

Huge difference. If all you can hang your hat on for justifying hunting an exotic is, "well, at least I ate the meat", fold up the tent, game over.

My biggest issue is the slander that continues to be spread about aoudad meat. Perfectly good stuff especially younger animals. Even the ram I had which was admittedly tough made amazing sausage ground 60/40 with pork shoulder. I think the myth of it being no good is perpetuated by those who want to make themselves feel better about wasting perfectly fine table fare.

I
You make it sound like they aren't smart enough to know the difference between an invasive exotic species and native wildlife. That raising and hunting exotics in Texas is no different than conservation efforts and hunting native elk, deer, pronghorn, etc.

Most are smart enough to realize that Texas really is not about wildlife conservation, feeding the family, etc.

It's 99% about trophy hunting, profits, entertainment, etc.

Huge difference. If all you can hang your hat on for justifying hunting an exotic is, "well, at least I ate the meat", fold up the tent, game over.
I was referring to your comment that people enjoy killing things and other people make money off that. That has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do with morals. Leave the exotic part out for now. I’m talking about having respect for a living animal and what justifies killing it. I have talked with countless non-hunters about hunting and can guarantee you that the majority will approve of killing something if you eat the meat. They don’t give a crap about the rest. And from my perspective there needs to be a legitimate reason to kill anything. I don’t eat mosquitoes, mice, cockroaches, etc but I kill them for health and safety reasons. If you think that killing coyotes is good for the environment then by all means have at it. If you want to kill bears, aoudads, mountain lions, javalina or other things that people do eat then you have the obligation to at least find someone who will take the meat.

Hmmm...is it responsible to kill 2 moose on one tag? Continue to hunt once you shoot an animal, find significant blood, and continue on to shoot another? Most of the hunters I hang with would find that pretty irresponsible, if not downright reprehensible.

I think the OP is getting dog piled by the ethics police, from some that could use a good look in the mirror, on several fronts.

That said, I've shot an aoudad, they aren't the best eating critter out there. IMO, about like a tough mule deer, with maybe a bit more mild flavor. If I shot another I'd make some sort of sausage out of it, like I do with most deer I shoot.
Ironic that you, of all people, are trying to stop "ethics" dogpiling.

Nice Ram @Whitetail_kid. Folks have pointed out that it's good to eat the meat from animals you harvest - if for some reason you don't want it - there are a lot of hungry people who would be willing to eat it. I would recommend not hunting edible animals you aren't willing to at least try to eat. Most anything can be turned into jerky/sausage.

Don't let the replies/responses discourage you.

Ironic that you, of all people, are trying to stop "ethics" dogpiling.

Nice Ram @Whitetail_kid. Folks have pointed out that it's good to eat the meat from animals you harvest - if for some reason you don't want it - there are a lot of hungry people who would be willing to eat it. I would recommend not hunting edible animals you aren't willing to at least try to eat. Most anything can be turned into jerky/sausage.

Don't let the replies/responses discourage you.
I think you need to read my post again.

Some of the people on top of the dogpile have some ethics issues that they could use some work on.

If you want to eat bear meat, aoudad, carp, raccoon, skunk, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, starlings, whatever is legal to kill, I think YOU should.
Throw in some coot and nutria rat in there and you've got the makins for a tasty gumbo!

I

I was referring to your comment that people enjoy killing things and other people make money off that. That has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do with morals. Leave the exotic part out for now. I’m talking about having respect for a living animal and what justifies killing it. I have talked with countless non-hunters about hunting and can guarantee you that the majority will approve of killing something if you eat the meat. They don’t give a crap about the rest. And from my perspective there needs to be a legitimate reason to kill anything. I don’t eat mosquitoes, mice, cockroaches, etc but I kill them for health and safety reasons. If you think that killing coyotes is good for the environment then by all means have at it. If you want to kill bears, aoudads, mountain lions, javalina or other things that people do eat then you have the obligation to at least find someone who will take the meat.
You're reasons for taking the meat are all over the map. Wouldn't killing aoudads fall under the category of "good for the environment"? So...

You're reasons for taking the meat are all over the map. Wouldn't killing aoudads fall under the category of "good for the environment"? So...
Let’s break it down so you can understand.

I don’t hunt coyotes because it doesn’t appeal to me. Some people shoot coyotes for no other reason than they like killing things. That’s not exactly what I would consider ethical. Other people kill them for the hides, or because they think coyotes are doing damage to the deer population and that they are helping out the deer. I’m not convinced they are making a difference but they have good intentions. I have never met anyone who considers coyotes to be valid table fare so assuming you don’t know anyone who wants the meat I would say you’re within the realm of ethical hunting if you leave the meat in that case.

The aoudad situation is more complex. We can go one of two routes. The first route is to manage for aoudad to stick around. It is well established that they are absolutely a desired meat source and as such, you have the responsibility to respect that in the name of hunting ethics. In this scenario the aoudad are no different than cattle in the sense that they are a non native human food source eating brush that was intended for deer and bighorns.

Scenario number two for aoudad is you decide to wipe them out in the name of native wildlife. In that case let’s not f— around. Mow them down as quickly and efficiently as possible and get it over with. This is not a hunting thing, this is a wildlife biology thing.

The issue with this scenario that I have is that this kid probably dropped several grand at a ranch that keeps aoudad around because they bring in the cash, and then they get lazy when it’s time to do the work and start dropping this hypocritical talk about them being some trash invasive species that don’t matter anyway.

And for the people that want me to shut up about it, I will as soon as the kid makes a post saying something to the effect of “I thought I was doing the right thing but now I have a new perspective and will be sure not to waste good meat on future hunts.”

But, I won't be brow beating others that want to leave it.

Sounds like the OP is a younger? hunter so perhaps what some folks are trying to do is provide a different perspective rather than brow beating?

I’m sure same as me you’ve heard that bear, pronghorn, catfish, wild pig, mule deer all taste horrible and gamey by folks not wanting to deal with the meat.

We both know that’s far from the truth, and that it’s justification for laziness, trying to use “inedible” as a means to assuage guilt.

You make a fair point if the regs say you don’t have to salvage it then fine, pointless to beat someone up about it. That said I didn’t take the meat of my first bear for similar reasons and retrospectively wish I had, and had had exposure to folks who would have pushed me to keep it.

Lastly, while I agree with your point that scavengers are better than an anoxic landfill we are in protracted battle with anti hunters and I think leaving meat in the field only plays into their hand.

So to the OP great Ram congratulations! Nothing wrong with what you did, but I’d advise trying the meat of whatever you kill and make up your own mind about its quality.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back