Washington Elk

fishing4sanity

To my great shock earlier this year I learned that with not much better than 2% odds I had been drawn for a branched antler bull tag in Goose Prairie, most of Washington is spike only, so this was a big deal. I decided on going to the William O. Douglas wilderness area of my hunt area and that I was in lousy shape (I'd known the last part for a long time). I never reached what I would call 'being in shape,' but I did lose 25 pounds and get to where I could walk from the fridge to the TV without resting;). The terrain was breath taking (or at least something was taking my breath away). I saw far more mountain goats than elk, but I did see a nice 6x6, just too far away and the breathing was too heavy to get a good shot, so I had to pass. Luck was on my side and the next day the same bull was slowly feeding in the same basin, giving me a chance to get a little closer and more rested for a shot. I was very happy to say the least, I had just got my first Washington elk, not the biggest one out there but this one is mine and despite the sore legs and back the smile remains.:D

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,728
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,237
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,243
Don`t believe you could have killed him in a prettier place! Nice pics. Congrats on the odds of drawing and a nice bull!

Really well photographed! I'm very impressed that you knew yourself well enough to hold off on a "bad" shot situation.

Wow, that first photo was fantastic.Is that Baker in background? Congrats on a great bull.

Hem, that's Mt. Rainier and when I got up to the bull I was truly stunned with the background beauty. Earlier, when I was in the same basin I had no idea Rainier was right there, it had been snowing and cloudy, but when everything came together it was perfect in my book.

Awesome job. Have been waiting to see some pictures from the hunt. Congrats on a great bull. Pictures are great. Congrats again.

That is some righteous country, and your 1st picture --- that monster laying there, that should be on the front cover of Bugle next month! Awesome job man.

Awesome pics and great bull. That looks like some of the places we used to log with a yarder. that is some tough going right there.

Well done! That is a fantastic looking area. I am amazed that your bull didn't end up in the bottom of that hole!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back