WalMart (owner of MooseJaw) entering "premium" gear online market

Black Diamond is said to have issued a cease and desist order to WalMart/Moosejaw. Katadyn and Dueter have pulled their products from Walmart's premium outdoor store. (Source: Gear Junkey)

The sad reality of all this is little if any of the clothes we wear are actually made by these companies here in the USA so most of these companies are simply rebranding foreign products. And due to the clout wal mart has they will likely end up winning as they are very skilled at these relationships.

They have done the same with other industries from equate brands in the pharmacy to faded glory in the clothing section . We will probably see the same as they enter the hunting clothing market.

Will be interesting to see if they try to sponsor existing shows.

Last edited:
Very True Prarie Hunter.I think they are going to continue along that same path.

I'm kinda thinking Steves Outdoor Adventures would be a good fit for this sponsor. "Steve's outdoor adventures in/by Walmart" and simply show him doing his grocery shopping in XXXXXXXXL moose jaw gear for the sizzle reel.

All kidding aside it will probably mean better value for gear as many of these brands have massive retail markup. And for most people it will probably be just fine and easy to pick up while shipping for other things.

In the end they have large outdoor sections which likely have a lot of high profit margin items compared to milk, chips, etc on the other side of the store. Guns are a bit of a stretch but they already sell reloading supplies like powder, bullets, arrows, and just about everything else you would need to ho hunt, camp, or fish so it makes sense that they move that direction.

Will Moosejaw sell Nike? If so, "Just don't buy it".

Oops...(?) Too soon? :)

This is interesting as my loyalty sways with the peic3e of gear, as a general rule. Competition is good for the custimer and I hvae thought many of these brands to be overpriced, but paid for it because of the quality.

On a related note, a buddy and i had a thought for a series: walmart hunter. Get geared up and supplied on at a walamrt for less than $1k including rifle. Just to show people you dont need to spend big money to get into hunting.

The high end gear manufacturers have created a niche by setting obscene prices on their stuff. And now they're surprised that Walmart jumps in and fills it? Duh. Amazon is already there, guys. I'd love to see an option between the dead cheap crap on Amazon and the Rodeo Drive pricing by ___(pick a premium gear manufacturer). I'm not a clothes horse; I don't care what name is on my gear. For me, it's a choice between lower end gear or no gear at all. I don't know how people manage to afford to dress in layers of Sitka or Kuiu. Apparently I'm just not very good at this whole capitalism thing.

I have no use for Walmart, in fact I try not to step foot in the place unless I have no other option available. I have purchased a handful of items from moosejaw over the years, not sure if that will continue now with the buy out.

The high end gear manufacturers have created a niche by setting obscene prices on their stuff. And now they're surprised that Walmart jumps in and fills it? Duh. Amazon is already there, guys. I'd love to see an option between the dead cheap crap on Amazon and the Rodeo Drive pricing by ___(pick a premium gear manufacturer). I'm not a clothes horse; I don't care what name is on my gear. For me, it's a choice between lower end gear or no gear at all. I don't know how people manage to afford to dress in layers of Sitka or Kuiu. Apparently I'm just not very good at this whole capitalism thing.

Deviating slightly from the headline topic, but this is not strictly a binary equation here. Yes, you CAN buy cheap gear and it is better than no gear at all. You'd look funny hunting naked. You also CAN buy more expensive gear with the expectation it will last you many more years than the cheap gear. Of course, there is always the risk of something being a pile of crap. Buyer beware. However, my $120 pair of Rodeo Brand upland bird hunting pants have lasted far longer than the cheaper, double fronted cotton duck pants I bought at a lower price. In the long run, the Rodeo Brand will amortize out far cheaper than the less expensive pants.

Speaking solely for myself, I afford upper end gear by buying it a little at a time, driving an older vehicle, working some overtime, and prioritizing my expenditures. Not to say you or anyone else doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back