Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wall tent stove

I have a kwik kamp that's nearly 20 years old and with a damper in the door and the stove pipe it works really well with the right wood will burn all night with a good bed of coals in the morning. But a friend just bought a colorado cyclinder stove and I would highly recommend it after seeing it and him using it. Very well built and nearly $200 cheaper as well.

I'm selling a Kni-Co Alaskan if you're interested. Came with a used tent I bought, never used it personally.

+1 for the Four Dog stove. Don the owner is great and helpful. I like that it’s square for packing, everything stores inside and it seals really well with the braided fiberglass seal on the door. I’ve never used another stove though to compare.

CD884EEC-96CF-40FD-A2FE-B85BC7609BA5.jpeg

You won’t be disappointed with a kwik camp, had one for about 12 years and it’s still solid. Heats a 12x20 alacknack great and it doesn’t hold heat as well as canvas.

CPO and I have been using the Colorado Cylinder since he bought his 16x18 Davis a few years ago. We also use a thermo-electric fan to push warm air to the farthest corner. Last year in 3rd season was our coldest trip with it (highs in the 20s lows well below zero f) and when we stoked it up it was short sleeves and crocs inside. The only thing I did was weld 4 spacers at the corners of the coal grate to give it about an inch more space below it for ash. On a really cold night we will throw a big lump of coal in there as well. As mentioned above, I am from the "you don't need to run a stove all night camp, have a better sleeping bag". I admit I sleep really warmly but also find the idea of getting out of a nice warm fart sack to stoke a fire ludicrous. I have the this guy (look around and it can be had for about half this price) https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-McKinley-Degree-Sleeping/dp/B0034VR8OS with a good thick pad underneath and the only drawback is that it is a bit TOO big. I am 6' and about 225 and have enough space to put the next mornings' base layers in with me and keep my woobie in the foot box to take up space and serve as a foot snugger.

You won’t be disappointed with a kwik camp, had one for about 12 years and it’s still solid. Heats a 12x20 alacknack great and it doesn’t hold heat as well as canvas.

How tight is your door seal? I’m doing the initial burn in as we have a upland trip planned for this weekend. With the door shut, I can still see the flame. I thought there was supposed to be an airtight seal ?

How tight is your door seal? I’m doing the initial burn in as we have a upland trip planned for this weekend. With the door shut, I can still see the flame. I thought there was supposed to be an airtight seal ?
Seal is good on mine, I did replace it a few years back as the original was getting worn. The original was also good when I got it though. Believe you can adjust the latch to seal it tighter, assuming they still make that the same way.

We did our first ever trip in our Davis 14x16 tent with the larger 'Peak' size stove a few weeks ago. First night there, it got down to 10-15. We had to stoke the fire about every 2 - 2.5 hours. I attribute that to burning soft wood (all that we could find in our area) instead of hardwood. Other nights, it only got down to barely freezing and we only had to stoke it every 3.5-4 hours (so twice a night, really). I think if we had had hardwood, it would have been fine to go all night on the 'warm' nights and only need stoking a couple of times on the 'cold' nights.

I actually liked having the water tank on the side. We would fill it up before going to bed and it acted like a humidifier keeping moisture in the air so we weren't waking up with bloody boogers the next morning from the dry air. It was also nice to have hot water on-demand for food cleanup or just to wash your face off after squinting in the wind/dust all day and it left the top of the stove clear for warming up food if needed.

As far as seal goes - we haven't modified ours at all (it comes with pipe damper) and we've only used it twice now, so maybe it will loosen up after some more usage, but if we close the vents off, there would be unburned wood left in the stove later, so it was sealing tight enough to actually snuff a burning fire out.

Seal is good on mine, I did replace it a few years back as the original was getting worn. The original was also good when I got it though. Believe you can adjust the latch to seal it tighter, assuming they still make that the same way.

I was just about to ask about the latch. If that’s adjustable, the seal should be perfect. Initial burn in went well.

We did our first ever trip in our Davis 14x16 tent with the larger 'Peak' size stove a few weeks ago. First night there, it got down to 10-15. We had to stoke the fire about every 2 - 2.5 hours. I attribute that to burning soft wood (all that we could find in our area) instead of hardwood. Other nights, it only got down to barely freezing and we only had to stoke it every 3.5-4 hours (so twice a night, really). I think if we had had hardwood, it would have been fine to go all night on the 'warm' nights and only need stoking a couple of times on the 'cold' nights.

I actually liked having the water tank on the side. We would fill it up before going to bed and it acted like a humidifier keeping moisture in the air so we weren't waking up with bloody boogers the next morning from the dry air. It was also nice to have hot water on-demand for food cleanup or just to wash your face off after squinting in the wind/dust all day and it left the top of the stove clear for warming up food if needed.

As far as seal goes - we haven't modified ours at all (it comes with pipe damper) and we've only used it twice now, so maybe it will loosen up after some more usage, but if we close the vents off, there would be unburned wood left in the stove later, so it was sealing tight enough to actually snuff a burning fire out.
We went from pine to hardwood...then coal...then heavier sleeping bags...and now propane. The wood stove is great to warm up the tent in the morning and to dry everything out in the evening (or anytime my wife is in camp), but at night we run a propane heater on low and don't have to get up except to answer nature. It's not as rustic, but it sure is convenient.

I adjusted the latch at tight as possible. To the point where I scrape the front of the door when lifting the handle up to open the door. There still a slight gap. I was under the impression the seal was supposed to be airtight? I tried emailing them and have yet received a response. I’m a little annoyed since I paid a premium for their product. I wonder what my options are…

I’d go with a Riley pellet/wood. Burn wood when you want to or put the pellet hopper on and dump a bag of pellets in. Fill it at night and it’s still burning by morning

I’m interested to see your experience with this stove. I bought an almost new one 5 years ago. The seal started coming unattached a couple years ago and I keep forgetting to replace it so I just keep tucking it in. The stove is really well built and will run you out of the tent with not much wood. But I’m not impressed with how long it holds a fire. And no matter what I do I can’t get it to draw well. When I start a fire and every time I open the door to add wood it smokes. Possibly operator error but I have heated almost exclusivity with wood most of my life with many different stoves and have never been unable to figure out a stoves quirks (they’re all a bit different). This last season I decided to sell it but haven’t figured out what to replace it with.

This may not be in line with the earlier conversation but I think it may still be an appropriate question for the thread. I’m getting a wall tent and stove for family/hunting camps and my wife brought up something I haven’t thought much about…when breaking down camp the morning after running a stove all night what do you do to extinguish the fire, remove the ashes and get the stove cool enough to transport?

We went from pine to hardwood...then coal...then heavier sleeping bags...and now propane. The wood stove is great to warm up the tent in the morning and to dry everything out in the evening (or anytime my wife is in camp), but at night we run a propane heater on low and don't have to get up except to answer nature. It's not as rustic, but it sure is convenient.
How is the exhaust from the propane stove vented? With a pipe or is the tent porous/ventilated enough to release CO on its own?

1646836998702.png

This may not be in line with the earlier conversation but I think it may still be an appropriate question for the thread. I’m getting a wall tent and stove for family/hunting camps and my wife brought up something I haven’t thought much about…when breaking down camp the morning after running a stove all night what do you do to extinguish the fire, remove the ashes and get the stove cool enough to transport?
My stove is airtight so I’ll close it down to kill the fire early in the morning. I discard the ashes and let the stove and the pipe cool down for a few hours before packing up.

Cylinder stove; stuff it full at bedtime, damper down, 0430 open the damper wash my hands get the lights and coffee pot on, throw the kindling in and some medium chunks, 10minutes later it’s getting warm.
nesting pipe is probably the best thing since sliced bread. Spark arrester as well.
we run two tents at elk camp. 16x14 and a 20x16. Easy to get it too damn hot with both stoves going.
we have the water tank and figure it’s indispensable.

My stove is airtight so I’ll close it down to kill the fire early in the morning. I discard the ashes and let the stove and the pipe cool down for a few hours before packing up.
Thanks for the reply. I just got the Yukon stove from walltentshop and ‘burned it in’ yesterday but found the door a little warped and the damper also not sitting tight to the door. I’m in contact with the company to see how to remedy it. I went with the Yukon stove because I was under the impression it would be airtight…

Reactions: JAG
How is the exhaust from the propane stove vented? With a pipe or is the tent porous/ventilated enough to release CO on its own?

View attachment 214775
The buddy heaters emit very little Co2. We keep one in our Airstream because she hates the onboard furnace. Makes too much noise. When we first started running these heaters I kept two co2 monitors going. Never went higher than 7. The alarms don’t go off until you hit 50ppm.
You’ll be fine in a tent.

Let the fire burn down that morning pretty early. We start packing up other stuff first to let the stove cool down a bit.
Usually a fire pit around the campsite somewhere, using leather gloves the spouse will empty the coals into the fire pit, a small shovel works good if the stove is still too hot to handle, ours has handles on the side that don't get as hot as the main body of the stove.
Setting the stove outside the tent with the door open cools it down fast too.
We empty the water jug on the coals in the fire pit and stir before we leave.
The spouse also packs the stove with dry firewood for storage so that next time we use it , dry wood is right there for the first warming fire.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back