Wall tent stove

802flyfish

Looking to add a stove to my 14x16 wall tent. I’ve been eyeing the Colorado cylinder and the Davis stove. I was recently informed the Colorado cylinder have gone up in price ($150.00). Can any comment on build quality between the two ?

I have not used those but this is the stove I have and its does its job.

The owner is a stove nut. If you call him he just tells you exactly what you need for your tent.
If I had an extra 1K around I'd have one of those Titanium stoves in a minute, but I was trying to not derail his thread.... :ROFLMAO:

But if you are on the fence between stove sizes (and weight is not the #1 factor) Go with the Bigger size. Not necessarily for the COLD days but the DAMP ones.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ve been really eyeing this particular stove. I have no intentions in packing this set up in. Will mostly be used for base camp.

That looks amazing. I'm conflicted on the water tanks. There is a tendency to let it run dry ,then the faucet hole warps and leaks when the rubber washer deforms or melts. I've been able to heat water in a Big Camp Coffee Pot that was given to me.

I’ll forgo the water tank for now. Just use a kettle. 3 gallons is a lot of hot water for 1-3 people.

We use a stainless steel pan that’s about 12x12x10. Heat water up and do dishes in that.

Also, not trying to change your mind, but my Riley is damned nice for pickup camping as well. It’s a hell of a lot easier for me to load and unload by myself than a cylinder stove. Pros and cons to everything.

We use a stainless steel pan that’s about 12x12x10. Heat water up and do dishes in that.

Also, not trying to change your mind, but my Riley is damned nice for pickup camping as well. It’s a hell of a lot easier for me to load and unload by myself than a cylinder stove. Pros and cons to everything.

What's your burn time on the Riley?

I've got the camp chef stove, and I'd go Colorado Cylinder over it if I had to do it again. The reality is the any stove if it leaks like a sieve is going to be less than ideal than a stove where you can control the flow of air.

What's your burn time on the Riley?

I've got the camp chef stove, and I'd go Colorado Cylinder over it if I had to do it again. The reality is the any stove if it leaks like a sieve is going to be less than ideal than a stove where you can control the flow of air.
I have one of the smaller stoves because I used it exclusively for horse packing initially. For cold weather use it will need stoked once in the middle of the night. I stuff it full at bedtime, acre the pipe damper down and then plan on getting up tomorrow and add wood around 1ish.

I have one of the smaller stoves because I used it exclusively for horse packing initially. For cold weather use it will need stoked once in the middle of the night. I stuff it full at bedtime, acre the pipe damper down and then plan on getting up tomorrow and add wood around 1ish.

That's pretty impressive. I stoked my stove twice during the night when it got below freezing. Not ideal at all. Time to add more gasket I suppose.

That's pretty impressive. I stoked my stove twice during the night when it got below freezing. Not ideal at all. Time to add more gasket I suppose.
The pipe damper is the difference maker. Without it was 2-3x a night.

I have a fold up pack stove that I bought in the 80's. It has hinges and will leak air and shorten the burn time. I found that if I covered the bottom hinges with dirt it helped with the burn time and has extended the metal life as well. Looking at the inferno it looks like a great set up I'd go for it and add a shelf or two.

I have a fold up pack stove that I bought in the 80's. It has hinges and will leak air and shorten the burn time. I found that if I covered the bottom hinges with dirt it helped with the burn time and has extended the metal life as well. Looking at the inferno it looks like a great set up I'd go for it and add a shelf or two.

Eager to hear how it works out for you.

Kwik sells their own pipe

“Our tapered pipe is made out of 28 gauge galvanized steel. The seam is spot welded (rather than old style folded seam). This makes a tighter, more airtight seam. Comes with 5 sections of 22" pipe that start at 5" (at the stove) and taper up to 6".

My other options is

Seems a little pricey at $155. Should I save the extra cash and opt for the wall tent shop pipe ?

Last edited:
I have the Ridge stove from Davis Tent https://www.davistent.com/product/wood-burning-camp-stove/

I have been using it a couple of weeks each year for about 15 years and I had to replace the grate at about the 10 year mark.

I use it in my 14x16' tent and it gets it pretty toasty. I have given up on trying to run it all night and just bought heavier sleeping bags. I have the water tank for it, but never use it - it makes a lot of noise (water hissing, tank lid banging when the water is boiling, etc) and blocks the heat on that side of the stove. And it is heavy - I've always had someone help me carry it to/from the truck, although I'm sure I could do it in a pinch.

I have the camp chef stove. It works fine. I have had it about 4 years. Easily 80 nights of use and still doing well. I do not have the water heater. I just use a small pot.

Been using one of these for a few years now inside a 10x14 springbar tent. I got the medium which packs in panniers nicely for mule trips. In moderate cold, it will need one refill/stoke overnight. Anything under 10 degrees, you'll be getting up twice if you want it keeping the tent warm. They make a large which might work for a base camp setup. Just another option for those looking.

https://winnerwell.us/collections/woodlander-series/products/winnerwell-woodlander-medium-tent-stove

The Colorado Cylinder stoves are nice, just heavier than I want to deal with. We've used them before and they are very well built. I wish I had known about the Riley stoves, those look ideal for packing.

Back