Virginia Gun Rights Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my list:

1.) The vast majority of gun deaths come from suicide in the United States. That stems from lack of access to healthcare, including mental health care. Single -payer or medicaid for all helps reduce that. If we truly believe that it's not the gun, but the person using it, then let's give our citizens the ability to get the help they need w/o the stigma associated w/mental health issues. This can be done at the state and national level

The one point everyone over looks, suicide far out weighs homicides in the States. I agree completely and I think we as firearm owners should push for this more, especially kids. Lock up your weapons.

I'm not an advocate for any additional regulations on firearms, I do agree with Ben's last point.

Having a ton of people in poverty, harms everyone in our society.

I lived and worked in the poorest county in MI per capita. Years of socialization to not having to succeed and ride welfare has destroyed the community. When it pays better to drop out of school and have a baby then get a job, it’s bad. Getting a economic boost in those area won’t change anything overnight. The people have to want to change, get educated, and make something better for themselves.

Curbing low income and violence is a multigenerational cultural problem, not a gun law enforcement problem.

Curbing low income and violence is a multigenerational cultural problem, not a gun law enforcement problem.

See below, this is what I was driving at.
Chicago is an interesting citiy. It's been violent since it was founded, but the problems today stem largely from the migration to large urban centers in the 1940's-1970's and the ensuring loss of economic mobility in those classes after the meltdown of the 1970,s & 80's. We're still dealing with the effects of rural depopulation into cities where there were jobs for the masses, and people could make a living wage working jobs that didn't require a ton of training. That economy is gone, yet we cling to the basic civic structures that empower poverty rather than mobility.

As far as guns go, Chicago is a great example of how not to approach gun control. You cannot stem the flow of firearms into that city because everywhere surrounding it is acting as the importer through straw purchases (Again - enforce existing laws!). I don't think you will ever stop the flow of illegal firearms into major metropolitan centers, so we have to remove the perceived need for them. Cut the demand, and the supply dries up.

I lived and worked in the poorest county in MI per capita. Years of socialization to not having to succeed and ride welfare has destroyed the community. When it pays better to drop out of school and have a baby then get a job, it’s bad. Getting a economic boost in those area won’t change anything overnight. The people have to want to change, get educated, and make something better for themselves.

I think there is still a need for the standard ype of welfare that helps pay for certain things like food, formula & housing for people who can't afford it, but I'm a strong proponent of welfare to work. But that also means there has to be a living wage attached to that job, otherwise people will take the option with the highest payout. If you can't afford to live off of a full time job and pay for childcare for your kid, but you can afford an apartment, food & childcare services if you go on the dole, then what would your decision be?

Treat it no different than K-12. Just make it an extension of the public school system, but with outcome-based metrics designed to get people to a better life.

Our current system makes it staggeringly difficult if not impossible for someone from a poor or for that matter middle class background to become a doctor and return to their home community to practice medicine.

Needless to say I agree...

Treat it no different than K-12. Just make it an extension of the public school system, but with outcome-based metrics designed to get people to a better life.

A public school standard that is achieved by the student body. I enlisted the valedictorian out of Benton Harbor high school. It took her 3 times to pass the ASVAB. When she passed she got a 33. That score is basic math and English, on the right test if you guessed C for the whole thing you got a 33. Across the bridge in ST Joseph the average score was high 80’s. Both schools under the same standards 10 miles apart. That free post 12 grade education will do Nada in one of those schools.

Our current system makes it staggeringly difficult if not impossible for someone from a poor or for that matter middle class background to become a doctor and return to their home community to practice medicine.

Student loan debt forgiveness for doctors to go in work in underserved communities would be a great start.

strawman-argument-b.jpg

Strawman or way off topic...

Ummmm...because you're insured?

Because after undergrad, medschool, and the interest accrued in residency many attendings start their first position with 300-500k in student loan debt at age 36 to 40, depending on specialty. They typically have no 401k, and no equity built up in a home.

So essentially starting from scratch and thus necessitating a salary that is 2x-5x what doctors in other countries are paid.

This coupled with the for profit system that you alluded to that which is based upon returning shareholder value, rather than providing a public service.

Because after undergrad, medschool, and the interest accrued in residency many attendings start their first position with 300-500k in student loan debt at age 36 to 40, depending on specialty. They typically have no 401k, and no equity built up in a home.

So essentially starting from scratch and thus necessitating a salary that is 2x-5x what doctors in other countries are paid.

This coupled with the for profit system that you alluded to that which is based upon returning shareholder value, rather than providing a public service.
The military is always looking for aspiring doctors. They pay for it all and give them a salary. It’s the choice they made to be 300-500k in debt. Anyway back on topic.

A public school standard that is achieved by the student body. I enlisted the valedictorian out of Benton Harbor high school. It took her 3 times to pass the ASVAB. When she passed she got a 33. That score is basic math and English, on the right test if you guessed C for the whole thing you got a 33. Across the bridge in ST Joseph the average score was high 80’s. Both schools under the same standards 10 miles apart. That free post 12 grade education will do Nada in one of those schools.
The fed, States & local school boards don't always interact well, and a lot of communities don't want to invest in education through Mills or bonding. You won't be able to have actually as the board standards due to having 50 states & thousands of school districts. Some level of flexibility must be provided to each district inorder to make the best policies.

Any solution offered won't elliminate gun violence or would be applicable in all states. But that shouldn't discourage those efforts to try to reduce violence.

The military is always looking for aspiring doctors. They pay for it all and give them a salary. It’s the choice they made to be 300-500k in debt. Anyway back on topic.
The choice or the sacrifice.
If I was smart enough to be a doctor I’d find the highest paying gig for the least amount of work.
I’m glad there’s good people out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back