Violation Yes or No?

Not going to say if their in violation or not but I will say this: if I were to record my hunt and upload it to youtube, I'd sure as hell make sure there's nothing ambiguous about the video...

I can’t speak to the definitions in other state but in Montana code-
(6) "Hunt" means to pursue, shoot, wound, take, harvest, kill, chase, lure, possess, or capture or the act of a person possessing a weapon, as defined in 45-2-101, or using a dog or a bird of prey for the purpose of shooting, wounding, taking, harvesting, killing, possessing, or capturing wildlife protected by the laws of this state in any location that wildlife may inhabit, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently taken. The term includes an attempt to take or harvest by any means, including but not limited to pursuing, shooting, wounding, killing, chasing, luring, possessing, or capturing.

Generally, if you participate in the pursuit, you are hunting.

This past fall I was in the field, parked next to a county road in Wyoming, waiting on a friend who was driving out of a hunting spot, because he had called me that he was low on gas. The game warden pulled in behind me and asked how the hunting was. I said I wasn't hunting, I was waiting on a friend. He asked if I had a license, which I did and promptly showed him when he asked for it. He asked where my orange was and I said behind the seat somewhere. I made no attempt to show and he couldn't see it.

My question is this: if I didn't have any orange, what would he have done? What could he have done? Buzz? ClearCreek?

My opinion: You were not hunting at that point, so I would think you would not need to be wearing orange at that time. That is the age old question, "When do you actually start hunting?" I have had these discussions with GW's many times but I am not sure there ever was a absolutely definitive answer.

Are you hunting in this situation: The season is open, you are riding your horse to a spot where you plan to dismount and look for elk (or deer, etc.). Are you hunting when riding to the spot?

ClearCreek

My opinion: You were not hunting at that point, so I would think you would not need to be wearing orange at that time. That is the age old question, "When do you actually start hunting?" I have had these discussions with GW's many times but I am not sure there ever was a absolutely definitive answer.

Are you hunting in this situation: The season is open, you are riding your horse to a spot where you plan to dismount and look for elk (or deer, etc.). Are you hunting when riding to the spot?

ClearCreek
Mr Bull elk walks out of the trees onto the trail while you are riding to the spot you will glass from. You get the picture.

On the other hand, Wyoming is not out of hand with regulations, and I don't understand why people just cant comply with the basic regulations Wyoming has. Its not that tough.

The only Wyoming warden I've ever talked to said basically the same thing. He told me if someone is too lazy to wear orange correctly it's a red flag to him that they're likely doing other things wrong too, and he writes the ticket for lack of orange every time.

I have seen hunters ticketed in MT for not having orange enough orange. There is a required level of lumens. That said, failure to wear orange is-(5) A person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $20.
Posting unlawful activity on the internet makes it difficult for enforcement to look another way.

The guy "riding" his bull after the kill kinda confirms he is a tool.

Well, I get that. My point is why just the hunter and not the others in his party?
From a safety standpoint, yes they should all be wearing orange. But according to Wyominng's regulatuons they are not technically hunting, so they don't technically have to wear orange. It might not make sense, but it is what it is.

The only Wyoming warden I've ever talked to said basically the same thing. He told me if someone is too lazy to wear orange correctly it's a red flag to him that they're likely doing other things wrong too, and he writes the ticket for lack of orange every time.

and he would most likely be right with his assumptions. If you cannot follow the most basic rule in rifle season, what else are/aren't you doing? This is one rule that you can't hide while breaking, you either wear orange or you don't. There's a lot of rules/laws that I don't agree with but I still follow them. The way I see it; if you have the guts to break a rule that is visible to all, what are you willing to do when there's no one around?

From a safety standpoint, yes they should all be wearing orange. But according to Wyominng's regulatuons they are not technically hunting, so they don't technically have to wear orange. It might not make sense, but it is what it is.
Yeah, I knew that but was just questioning the logic is all. Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread.

Well, I get that. My point is why just the hunter and not the others in his party?

Maybe because they can’t legislate that every other person walking in the woods has to wear orange in the fall. That’s would be my guess.

Generally, if you participate in the pursuit, you are hunting.
If I am only packing binos and a backpack, I am not hunting, not part of the pursuit, and don't have to wear orange.

Should you have to have a hunting license in order to accompany another person while they are hunting? Of course not. Therefore, if you don't need a license, you are not hunting, and do not need to wear hunter orange per regulation or statute unless it specifically requires it. In reality, probably every person in the outdoors in the fall should be wearing high visibility colors, but to my knowledge there is not a single state that requires it. A little common sense and following the rules of firearms safety pretty much render this entire conversation a moot point.

Maybe because they can’t legislate that every other person walking in the woods has to wear orange in the fall. That’s would be my guess.
Certainly they CAN. Doing so is another story.

Certainly they CAN. Doing so is another story.

Can’t meaning a whole boat load of angry non hunting constituents would prevent them.

To the same, saying anyone in the party is hunting don’t work because that would mean you couldn’t take anyone with you who doesn’t have some valid lic for that area.

Last edited:
Can’t meaning a whole boat load of angry non hunting constituents would prevent them.

To the same, saying anyone in the party is hunting don’t work because that would mean you couldn’t take anyone with you who doesn’t have some valid lic for that area.
No different than passing mandatory seat belt and motorcycle helmet laws.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back