Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Vice-President Shoots Up Texas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunterman

Our very own avide bird hunter and Vice- President Dick Chenney shot one of his hunting buddies with a shotgun while hunting for Quail :eek:

I would like to see this police report on this shooting hump Here in Washington if you shoot anyone, you loose your right to hunt for life, or until reinstated by the Game Commission plus a fine, and maybe some jail time..

Heres the story:

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - A 78-year-old hunting companion of Vice President Dick Cheney was recovering in stable condition Monday after Cheney accidentally shot him during a weekend quail hunting trip, a hospital official said.

Harry Whittington "rested well last night," said Peter Banko, hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial. The hospital listed Whittington's condition as "very stable," he said.

Whittington, an Austin attorney, was flown to the hospital after Cheney accidentally shot him late Saturday afternoon at the Armstrong Ranch, hitting him with birdshot.

"It's not critical. It's not serious. It's just stable at this time," Banko said at a morning briefing. He said admitting Whittington to the trauma-intensive care unit was "a fairly common procedure" for a patient hit by a spray of the small pellets.

"I don't know how much spray he has got," Banko said. "My understanding from the physicians is that after you get peppered, sometimes they need to do exploratory surgeries if it gets lodged in a little deeper. Sometimes it's tweezers. I can't really comment on how extensively he was sprayed."

Banko said he did not know when Whittington would be released.

The vice president visited Whittington and his wife before returning to Washington on Sunday. Cheney "was pleased to see that he's doing fine and in good spirits," said Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride.

Whittington sent word through a hospital official that he would not comment out of respect for Cheney.

Ranch owner Katharine Armstrong told The Associated Press the vice president was using a 28-gauge shotgun, and Whittington was about 30 yards away.

Armstrong said Whittington had gone to retrieve a bird he shot while Cheney and a third hunter, whom she would not identify, walked to another spot and discovered a second covey of quail.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," said Armstrong, who was in the car.

"The vice president didn't see him," she said. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

"He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that," she said.

Each of the hunters was wearing a bright orange vest, Armstrong said.

The accident was not reported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported it Sunday.

McBride said the vice president's office did not tell reporters about the accident Saturday because they were deferring to Armstrong to handle the announcement of what happened on her property.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the 50,000-acre ranch, about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi, to hunt about once a year and is "a very safe sportsman." She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she believed it was the first time the two men hunted together.

Cheney purchased a hunt license in November, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said.

___

I'll bet he don't loose his hunting rights :cool:

Hunterman(Tony)

Heck you would think the Secret Service guys would have said something either to the shooter or the shootee. The smart one was Armstrong, she stayed in the car, then again she said she hunted with Dick before.

This proves that you should not get out of the vehicle to shoot quail, and that ground-pounding them is undoubtedly much safer that trying to take them while they are in flight.

Greenhorn said:
This proves that you should not get out of the vehicle to shoot quail, and that ground-pounding them is undoubtedly much safer that trying to take them while they are in flight.

I agree its much safer if you just shoot them out the window, at least in Dick Chenney`s casehump :D

There was an "unidentified" third hunter - maybe it was George Bush who shot the attorney and Cheney is taking the fall for him? I'm sure some of our conspiracy theorists here will chime in! You know, like the victim was looking for weapons of mass destruction or something....

I was suprised no one picked this up sooner, Soon as I heard about it sat night sunday morning I came here to see what buzz and ithaca and a few others would say. and nothing I was highly disapointed.

While I like cheny he is an absolute idiot when it comes to guns and hunting, I mean look at this problem.

I am different than most cause I dont believe there is such a thing as a gun accident, your either a stupid fugging idiot pulling the trigger or your just plain stupid with no common sence and shouldnt be allow to carry a firearm in the first place.

There isnt one so called accident that should be called an accident.
if you think there is try me but there isnt one.. every gun problem is caused by ignorance and complete stupidity, nothing else nothing less.

Its too bad cause this will definatly hurt the hunting crowd.

Delw

One got shot and the other didn't get his bird, that's how. Nobody seems to care whether he got that quail or not. All the shot didn't hit that guy.

I'm glad he's not worse and is getting better.

statements from the Cheny camp says things like ... "it happens all the time" "hunters get peppered all the time" ..... I mean hello.

Now Cheney gets a WARNING citation for not having an upland bird stamp !!!!! the Cheny camp says it's the states fault by not notifiying them of everything he needed.

Stab ..... do you think this is all good press for hunting?

Its always good press for hunters when Cheney:

1. act carelessly with a firearm and blast their hunting buddy.
2. Says that firearms accidents happen all the time.
3. Says its the States fault for not informing him of the regulations.
4. Is road hunting
5. Is poaching wildlife by not having proper licenses.

There really is no way to spin this as a positive on hunting, other than use it as an example of EXACTLY what not to do as an ethical, responsible hunter.

Cheney is as irresponsible with firearms as he is with working for the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back