Vacation Ideas

earlybird

I'm thinking about taking my wife somewhere warm for a few days. I'm thinking a beach somewhere as neither one of us have seen the ocean. Anyone have some good experiences and locations they would like to share. We would be fine with and all inclusive resort or a DIY kinda place. We are also not to worried about cost, we have been saving for something like this for a while. Any Ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Going off of what Tarheel suggested, I have went on plenty trips to Florida's gulf coast, and love the small beaches around St. Pete and Sarasota, and further south.
We also go on alot of cruises. For the money, you can't beat it, and you'll see plenty of ocean, but will be limited on hanging out on the beach. Me personally, I prefer The Virgin Islands over The Bahamas.

Last edited:
A cruise is a great way to see some wonderful islands in the Caribbean!!!!! I'm antlerradar's wife and go on a cruise every year to escape the cold Montana winter for a week or so!! Book way in advance or at the last minute to get a really good deal. For what you get; a cruise is VERY economical!!! Keep in mind like everything; you only hear about the mishaps, never the millions of cruises without mishaps!!!!!!

If you want just a warm nice area; St Thomas/St John and Belize are fantastic!!!!!!!

My wife and I take a yearly trip to Jamaica and neighboring islands.

We have stayed at Sandals and Jewel Resorts.

I've NEVER had a bad experience, though I am not looking for issues and able overlook minors aspects in the spirit of being on vacation and not a critical crabby ass.

Jamaica is the most reasonably priced island down there as flight alone can come close to the resort cost at other islands.

St. Lucia is our favorite! An incredible island! Antigua is slotted for 2015.

Because Sandals is the most advertised, it comes with the most critics... I've been at 4 Sandals resorts... ALL have been great! I enjoyed our diversion to the Jewel Dunn River Resort - Nice 1/3rd the size of the Sandals resort and very relaxed! The difference? At Jewel we had the top of the line Butler, 2 room ocean view, two patio 3rd level, jacuzzi tub, daily replenished stocked bar, etc, etc, etc... This was basically approx. the same price as a Sandals stay on Jamaica.
Difference, Jewel is "Tip friendly". Sandals is no tips at all. In the end, we saved ourselves around $300 at Jewel over Sandals even after tips accounted, etc. Both had great food, great service, entertainment though for some reason, my wife and I both agree we enjoy our time at Sandals a bit more. BTW, Whitehouse Sandals is fantastic! (If staying in Jamaica)
We have been told Couples Resort on Jamaica is pretty darn good as well though have not tried.
Anyhow, for what it is worth. Always an enjoyable time if one is able to ENJOY their stay iinstead of searching for issues to complain about.

Last edited:
My Wife and I go down by Gulf Shores, Alabama every year in late February or early March to visit my in-laws. it is a nice area. usually in the 70s when we are there.
but southern Florida would be warmer.

Kevin

Florida keys gets my vote! You should be safe with the temp south of Marco island in dead of winter. That's of course your planning on staying in the continental US

Wife and I went to the Dominican Republic for our 20th anniversary. Stayed at "Excellence" in Punta Cana. All inclusive. It was our first and only time to the Caribbean, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but we had a great time and plan on going back in a couple years!

If you want to really go out of the way, my wife and I went to Ko Samui, Thailand last January for our Honeymoon. Most everyone in the hospitality industries speaks English and the cost is quite reasonable once you get there.

Southern Thailand is very much what like the Australian Mexico resort wise. Also there are a lot of Western European tourist. Excellent food, clear water and I could rent a 4x4 truck directly through the resort to get lost on the island with. Definitely the on your own adventure compared to sandals or any packaged apple vacation in the Caribbean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back