Utah trail camera use HB 295, lied to?

Jstearns

Utah HB 295, lies?

This out lines limiting use of trail cams. The first draft of the bill said, it would be illega to use trail cams between august 1st and December 31 st.

It has gotten some heat. Now it states that the division will be able to make rule regarding trail cameras.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if this passes. The DNR could make rules regulating trail camera use without public input?

My opinion that Utah already doesn’t let us archery hunt during peak elk rut. So a lot rely on trail cameras.

Bill sponsor Casey snider put together a very inaccurate, slide show to bring to legislature. Saying that it is unfair chase to document an animals daily activities. These are people that do not hunt. Why are telling us what is fair chase. When during muzzle loader season we can pretty use anything like these new modern breach loads that can shoot a 1000 yards?

I wrote a letter to my representative expressing my opinions. I received an email back stating the bill is dead. From my research as I started following this bill. It is not dead. I could be wrong, these bills are kinda hard to follow when you are new to it like me.

If you want listen to a pod cast on check out the Hush pod cast episode 7

Bill link

https://le.utah.gov/~2021/bills/static/HB0295.html

Thoughts?

Advice?

Last edited:
Is the baiting part of the bill still in it? I can’t imagine how big some of the dead spots guys are creating dumping salt. I listened to a podcast with a guy that claimed he placed over 300 lbs last year baiting one specific buck.

Outfitters with close to 1,000 cameras document an animal 24/7. It's gotten absurd and hopefully they set a time frame when they can be used that ends before any season.
Doesn’t the DNR and others do the same by putting tracking collars on a deer?

in figuring averages and statistics don’t you rule out the out liars on either end?

doesn’t this kinda of fall under wild life photography?

have you thought about how much work it would take to use 120 trail cams?

1000 is an exaggeration

I know it is enough for me to keep track of 2 or 3 take me most of a day.

why is bill not better worded, with more input from the public.
“ 38 23-13-18. Use of a computer or other device to remotely hunt wildlife prohibited”
I mean e scouting could fall under that. Simple change “hunt” to “take” but then by his own bill trail cameras are used to hunt not take. So this is sticky.

follow Colorado example. They require you to remove transmitting cameras two weeks before season. But regular trail cameras can be left.
Casey’s whole argument is worded around transmitting cameras but does not separate them in his bill.

food for thought

Last edited:
Is the baiting part of the bill still in it? I can’t imagine how big some of the dead spots guys are creating dumping salt. I listened to a podcast with a guy that claimed he placed over 300 lbs last year baiting one specific buck.
Yes it is from what I am reading it hasn’t been changed. I don’t believe they are getting any opposition on any other parts of the bill other than trail cam useage. Why isn’t this 2 different bills? Doesn’t make sense.

Isn’t it our responsibility as conservationists to take the oldest and maturest animals within our reasonable ability and skill?

I don't think salt is considered bait in this bill.
So, it would still be legal to put out 300lbs of salt, just not apples and such.

I don't think salt is considered bait in this bill.
So, it would still be legal to put out 300lbs of salt, just not apples and such.

That example would be illegal. The average guy can't haul up salt and then hunt over it.

(ii) "Bait" does not include:
(A) the use of salt, mineral blocks, or other commonly used types of livestock supplements placed in the field by agricultural producers for normal agricultural purposes

Last edited:
Isn’t it our responsibility as conservationists to take the oldest and maturest animals within our reasonable ability and skill?
Why ? What data did you find to come to that conclusion ? I don't intend to be rude, but that line of thought seems to be the theme of many TV hunting show "experts".

Why ? What data did you find to come to that conclusion ? I don't intend to be rude, but that line of thought seems to be the theme of many TV hunting show "experts".
None, here for advice. I just have heard that in area I hunt, that the reason deer population is down. Due to the fact that it is over hunted. People in the community are saying that it’s because hunters aren’t selective enough in their harvest.
so I ask why does everyone say they are looking for mature animals, if they are not putting their skills and abilities to the test?

When else is it ok to leave personal equipment in the forest for extended periods without some kind of permit? Most places limit camping to a coupe of weeks. Why can you leave your camera up for more than two weeks on National Forest land.

I own and use a trail camera here and there, but when I hike a few miles into a wilderness to check out a remote spring, only to find it's under 24 hr surveillance year round, I lose my taste for them. It seems like a National Forest policy issue too.

When else is it ok to leave personal equipment in the forest for extended periods without some kind of permit? Most places limit camping to a coupe of weeks. Why can you leave your camera up for more than two weeks on National Forest land.

I own and use a trail camera here and there, but when I hike a few miles into a wilderness to check out a remote spring, only to find it's under 24 hr surveillance year round, I lose my taste for them. It seems like a National Forest policy issue too.
I think you might be onto something. The state could require a permit. It would be hard to enforce. I have two they don’t help me take anything. It is nice that I can even see if I am hunting an area that at least has any elk or deer. But really it’s kind of hobby to test my skills at finding areas.

If that's what science says is best for the current status of the population is then yes. Isn't always the case though. In many places management agencies need young bucks and does reduced and they struggle to get hunters to comply because pappy said you only shoot big bucks so biologists be damned. Just saying it's not a one size fits all situations scenario.

Nothing says testing your skills and abilities like sitting on an apple or salt pile
agree I don’t bait because it’s more about the chase for me. I would support this bill if it was amended to separate the use of transmitting cameras and regular trail cams.

If that's what science says is best for the current status of the population is then yes. Isn't always the case though. In many places management agencies need young bucks and does reduced and they struggle to get hunters to comply because pappy said you only shoot big bucks so biologists be damned. Just saying it's not a one size fits all situations scenario.
Well said, typically I shoot the first legal animal I come across because for me it is about the meat. I enjoy the rewarding feeling I get when I get to harvest process and put on the table. I only ask because I hear so many hunters say it should be managed for age better. Granted I am only going off personal experience.

Last edited:
I would support this bill if it was amended to separate the use of transmitting cameras and regular trail cams.
All trail camera restrictions were actually removed from the bill. All it does is direct DWR to examine trail cameras in the future, but there are no limitations in this bill.

All trail camera restrictions were actually removed from the bill. All it does is direct DWR to examine trail cameras in the future, but there are no limitations in this bill.
I seen that the division is aloud to make rules governing the use of trail cams. I am looking for someone to explain to me if that means they can make rules with out public input.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back