Utah Elk Hunting Info.

Wapiti23

Hello everyone. Ive been wanting to hunt Utah for elk for the last couple of years and am looking for some info. This website is great and full of people who love to hunt DIY and are willing to help others in need. I am wondering if anyone has any information on elk hunting in Utah? I know its hard to draw a lisence but I need somewhere to start. Any info on units to apply for and how to acquire a preference point would be awesome. I feel i have an addiction to elk hunting!!! haha, oh well. I think a lot of people have the same problem:D

Unless your just extremely lucky, the limited draw units take a long time to draw. As far as units, just about any in UT can produce big bulls. What kind of country are you wanting to hunt? Some are more "typical" elk country, while others are much more like the desert.

I was planning on starting to build Utah points. Do you think there is a shot to draw a tag in say 5 or 6 years?

I know its going to take many years to drawn but i would like to start getn points. Do you have to apply for the license to get the points or can you just buy them like in Wyoming? I prefer to hunt your "typical" elk country. Im open to all info and help.

I'm pretty sure you have to buy the license to get the points. If you like the more typical country, about any LE unit in the central/northern part of the state has you covered.

Drawing in 5-6 years is possible, but not very probable. Most residents take nearly 2Xs that many years to draw some of the units.

If you are serious you need to start reading the regs and bone up on the topic. If you are only looking at Utah, again you might want to bone up on the various states draw processes and make informed choices on where to try to draw a premium tag (or 3) over a period of years. A long-term commitment and $$ outlay if done right--or at least well. There really is no sense in putting all your eggs in one basket (UT)...maybe you already have been bulding points in the other states.

I wonder what 'typical' elk country looks like?

Last edited:
Uummmm.... so you're saying like 15 years for a NR to draw a 'good' tag. Maybe I'll stick to other states.

By typical, I meant big mountains, conifer and aspen broken up by meadows. Some of the desert units are quite a bit different. Not saying they produce lesser bulls (sometimes quite the opposite), but I do know that for me it'd be a different experience.

Could be 15 or like Moosie he drew with 2 points. IMO, that is one of the good things about appying in UT, you can draw with less than max points.

If your first name is Oscar and your nickname is Moosie, I would say it is a slam dunk.

I didn't put in the last 2 years becasue All the slack I got for putting in the 2nd year and Drawing a Kick "A" tag. In the future you guys are in trouble though.......

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back