Utah Draw-only Youth Any Bull/Hunter's Choice Elk (Any help or opportunity would be greatly appreciated)

Rabbitslayer78

Hello all,
My daughter drew a Utah Draw-only Youth Any Bull/Hunter's Choice Elk Tag. I understand this is a some what ok tag. Rifle hunt in the rut sounds awesome. However its a new state and we're limited on scouting. Anyone with some insight or had a youth hunter in the past with this tag might be able to help make my daughter's hunt a success. How'd did any past hunts go?
Thank you all.

just make sure to take any opportunitys that present themself and ont be too picky because elk are pretty hard to find. when you do take a shot make sure it isnt rushed and you daughter is calm because the last thing you want is a gut shot resulting in a lost elk. have you picked a caliber and/or ammunition for this hunt?

just make sure to take any opportunitys that present themself and ont be too picky because elk are pretty hard to find. when you do take a shot make sure it isnt rushed and you daughter is calm because the last thing you want is a gut shot resulting in a lost elk. have you picked a caliber and/or ammunition for this hunt?
We'll be taking the Elk Slayer, many critters have fallen to its accuracy. 7mm STW! I've been killing bulls with it for over 20 years now. It loves 180 Bergers and Retumbo. My oldest boy killed his bull last year at 980 yds. So fingers crossed.

Congrats to your daughter on pulling the tag.
You'll be hunting the same units that have unlimited archery tags and the first few days of your hunt is still archery season.
Additional units were added this year.
FYI Utah also passed a law that requires going to check for blood after a shot.
Good luck and look forward to the hunt report

Just checking in on the thread. Leaving next week. Any last advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How did your hunt go? My son has his first youth cow tag in few weeks in AZ. getting excited to see him grip and grin!

The Last 30 mins on the last day a whole herd came out the timber on to a sage flat where we were driving down the 2-track road. The herd was about 12 cows with a really nice 6 point bull, probably a 320". He had cows all around him so very marginal shot opportunity at 310 yards. My daughter had buck fever so bad once she saw him I didn't want her to wound the bull on the last night. It was then about 7:30pm. The shot was mostly neck and quartering away. The cows never got away from him to give us a shot. The lead cow spotted us as we just jump off the 4-wheeler to set up and that was it. But the last 2 days of season was the only days we saw Elk. It was a really fun hunt. The memories are going to last a lifetime.

bummer about not filling the tag but I'm sure it was pretty awesome seeing your kiddo get buck fever, that's what it's all about!

bummer about not filling the tag but I'm sure it was pretty awesome seeing your kiddo get buck fever, that's what it's all about!
Yeah for sure. What was even more fun was after legal shooting light was gone I called in all of his cows by sounding like a more aggressive bull. The bull started to lose his mind. When I started raking sage and splashing a near by puddle he and another far off satellite Bull went nuts. My daughter and i sat a enjoyed this rare experience together while whisper laughing. Only if we had one more day. Oh well she and I now had a Idaho Buck tag to focus on. Thanks for b.s.-ing on the matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back