MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Should 17 year old apply for big three?

I was in a similar position at your age. The odds are awful now, they were bad then and I couldn't believe those ponzi scheme rules even existed. As a non-resident hunter, it seemed like I would have just been wasting my money so, I didn't want to play. The whole system just seemed dishonorable and very unfair. I thought that there was no way that these preference and bonus points systems would hold up to scrutiny. If it were random or equal pay for equal play maybe then, it would at least make more since. Some of these schemes are better than others for sure but the odds are not with you.

That was when these systems just started and now look at them; boy was I wrong. These point systems have a life of their own and to be honest if you don't start now, you will NEVER have a real chance at winning a tag. It just takes too long to get one.

Your greatest advantage is your age. You are honestly running a bit late, you should have started a few years ago before you ever had a job. In 25 years you will be 42 years old and if everything stayed the same as today, you would still only have at best, a 5% chance at getting an archery tag with max points in one unit in CO. I've picked CO as an example because they seemed to have done the best job out of all Western States of putting sheep back on the mountain. I don't know how many max point holders there are for CO but, I'm betting that it would be more than a lifetime worth of people. You are literally hoping that people pull themselves out of the running due to age in order to get an actual tag.

1711408636396.png
If you wait till your 30, you would be over 55 years old climbing around that mountain and the experience while still great, wouldn't be as nice.

I still feel the same way about these point systems, but if you want to hunt a sheep (or anything else), then you would need to pay / play the the crazy game. I would put in for everywhere that I could because if you do get a sheep tag, you would likely want more. You would need to stack up the points and buy your way to a tag if you can. As far as waiting to save up money to buy a a tag in in Canada or Asia, you can do that as well when you are financially ready to do so. Keep in mind that Canadian resident hunters don't really like non-residents taking the sheep either, so those rules will likely change too. If you work all angles at all times for the next 30-40 years, you will still come up with only a few experiences.

Every investment planner worth their salt would tell you to forget that wild sheep exists. At the rate that they are going, there will likely never be enough sheep on the mountain to make any significant deference to the non-resident hunter, for at least several human generations.

However, if I had to do it all over again or I could go back in time; I would tell my younger self to put in for every sheep hunt that those people would allow me to put in for.

The rules will change multiple times by the time you have an opportunity to hunt, but you would need to play their rules at the time that they are given and take every advantage that you can in order to get a opportunity as a non-resident.

Last edited:
The rules will change multiple times by the time you have an opportunity to hunt, but you would need to play their rules at the time that they are given and take every advantage that you can in order to get a opportunity as a non-resident.
This I can get 100% onboard with. But two questions.

1. How often have you seen systems change to the better for nonresident big three type tags lately?
2. How often have you seen tag number increase instead of decrease for nonresident applicants? Or residents for that matter.

Joining these drawings on ground level with any type of point system is a fools game today. Idaho is expensive as heck to apply unless you're okay with dismal odds and high cost, NM is the same. I think pretty much every other state has realized points are a money grab with little return on the state's part. If I were just starting out I'd seriously consider.
1. Raffle tags
2. Moving to said State which fit for me
3. Get really rich

Moose and Caribou are still very doable in Alaska or Canada today but they too will change and are changing.

Reading between the lines of what I see in Alaska caribou hunting may not have much of a future.

If I were 17 and shared your goals, I'd apply in Idaho for moose in a small bull type unit with decent NR odds, and save to buy a Dall sheep hunt in AK. I'll bet you a beer you'll hunt both in 20 years.

I was in a similar position at your age. The odds are awful now, they were bad then and I couldn't believe those ponzi scheme rules even existed. As a non-resident hunter, it seemed like I would have just been wasting my money so, I didn't want to play. The whole system just seemed dishonorable and very unfair. I thought that there was no way that these preference and bonus points systems would hold up to scrutiny. If it were random or equal pay for equal play maybe then, it would at least make more since. Some of these schemes are better than others for sure but the odds are not with you.

That was when these systems just started and now look at them; boy was I wrong. These point systems have a life of their own and to be honest if you don't start now, you will NEVER have a real chance at winning a tag. It just takes too long to get one.

Your greatest advantage is your age. You are honestly running a bit late, you should have started a few years ago before you ever had a job. In 25 years you will be 42 years old and if everything stayed the same as today, you would still only have at best, a 5% chance at getting an archery tag with max points in one unit in CO. I've picked CO as an example because they seemed to have done the best job out of all Western States of putting sheep back on the mountain. I don't know how many max point holders there are for CO but, I'm betting that it would be more than a lifetime worth of people. You are literally hoping that people pull themselves out of the running due to age in order to get an actual tag.

View attachment 320373
If you wait till your 30, you would be over 55 years old climbing around that mountain and the experience while still great, wouldn't be as nice.

I still feel the same way about these point systems, but if you want to hunt a sheep (or anything else), then you would need to pay / play the the crazy game. I would put in for everywhere that I could because if you do get a sheep tag, you would likely want more. You would need to stack up the points and buy your way to a tag if you can. As far as waiting to save up money to buy a a tag in in Canada or Asia, you can do that as well when you are financially ready to do so. Keep in mind that Canadian resident hunters don't really like non-residents taking the sheep either, so those rules will likely change too. If you work all angles at all times for the next 30-40 years, you will still come up with only a few experiences.

Every investment planner worth their salt would tell you to forget that wild sheep exists. At the rate that they are going, there will likely never be enough sheep on the mountain to make any significant deference to the non-resident hunter, for at least several human generations.

However, if I had to do it all over again or I could go back in time; I would tell my younger self to put in for every sheep hunt that those people would allow me to put in for.

Colorado moose, mtn goat and sheep are not on a pp system. Even with max weighted points there is no certainty that anyone in the max point pool for anyone of those species/hunt units are for sure to draw.

You sound like you want to hunt nearly every species. If something like the NA29 slam is something you're after, you should be applying for everything everywhere. Likely you don't have the budget to do all at first so do the ones that make the most sense. Wyoming doesn't make sense to ever put it in for MSG unless they one day turn the PP into bonus points. Consider MT points are squared so your odds go up over time, but they still aren't great. ID and NM are random, so the more times you apply, the better your odds are of drawing one day. If hunting is one of your top priorities consider moving your residence around to your benefit including spending some time in AK.
Gohunt and huntin fool can save you some time on research, but if you have more time then money the info is out there.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back