6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I have two rifles that I am deciding on which one of them to make my main go to rifle, one is a 6.5 CM and the other is a 6.5 PRC. The only concern that I have about them is, is that are either 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC effective on elk? I have heard a lot of people go back and forth regarding 6.5 CM for elk. But, I am having a harder time finding info regarding 6.5 PRC on elk. I prefer the 6.5 CM rifle to the 6.5 PRC. So, I guess my real question is 6.5 Creedmoor effective on elk??

I have found a 7mm rem mag that I like, but would rather not spend the cash on something while I already have something that works just fine.

Any and all info and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
killed two bulls at over 300yds with the 6.5 creed this Fall, mine and my buddies bull both with the same rifle. I liked it so much I went and bought one in the Sako S20. Both were dead after the initial shot, one flipping over on impact.

Yes. On ranges that exceed most peoples capabilities. Be mindful of bullet selection (construction) and performance at impact velocity. I.e. dont use a tough copper bullet at extended range.

At the end of the day, youre trying to pop 2 glorified balloons and/or a a flesh blood pump. If youre in doubt - check out the rokslide forum below with moose, elk, etc dead from 223 (not an endorsement for using it)

Don't fall victim to a dumbarse tellling you a wallet eater, shoulder smasher, ear thrasher 300 fuddlore magnum to kill elk at typical hunting ranges. You dont. People dont like 6.5 creedmoor because they want to be counter culture and its popular....

Last edited:
I'm at 6 elk with a 6.5 SAUM (Close enough to a PRC) 40 to 480 yards, two of those I put a second, totally unnecessary shot into...
one elk with a 6.5 creedmore, two shots, 4 yards, no issues...

you do need to be a little more careful with shot selection than with bigger .30 or .338 rounds but in all honesty, if you are leaning on the big bullet most of the time you should be reconsidering anyway...

My 6.5 PRC has taken elk from 35 out to 700 yards without issue, just pick the right bullet. I have had success with the 127 Barnes LRX and the 143 Hornady ELDX. The rifle shoots the 147 ELDM great as well, I just haven't used it on game.

Last edited:
I’ve been part of 4 elk killed with a 140g Accubond from a 6.5 Creedmoor. All died, just not as nicely as I would have liked.

It’s not that it didn’t work, I just felt on each one that there was a better choice. I ditched it for something bigger. I think the PRC has enough extra to likely of resolved my concerns.

The only difference between the two is velocity if they are using the same bullet. Elk have been killed with very small calibers. The right bullet in the right spot with enough penetration to the vitals will work no matter if you are using a small caliber or larger magnum.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back