PEAX Equipment

6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

It’ll be my first year participating! I wonder what cartridge I’ll use.

Anyone got any ideas?
I’m going to try my .338 win mag this spring and the .44 if I can get close enough. The .308 will be the all purpose workhorse.

When I compare shooting a round ball to a modern sabot there is going to be significant difference. Doesn’t mean shit for any practical purposes. 60’s bullets to sleek BC bullets doesn’t mean shit.

You haven’t killed an elk with a 6.5 anything. You’re grasping at straws trying to force your opinion using skewed data points.

Yep, I should have kept you on the ignore list.
Stick to referencing kills you "were there for" and other worthless anectdotes - is that a michigan thing?

I was wondering what was off about those "R" bros. Must be it.

If you ever want to see who can shoot further, i think itd be fun.

Such as tinitus, frequent barrel replacements, double the powder & powder and brass costs, weight and recoil, lower ES/SD, and on and on. :)
Yep. So what? I have the brass. I have the powder. I have the primers. I can handle the recoil. Rifle is 8 pounds. Barrels? One change.
We've been over this. I shoot a .243 and 70 grain Hammers too. Better? mtmuley

Yep. So what? I have the brass. I have the powder. I have the primers. I can handle the recoil. Rifle is 8 pounds. Barrels? One change.
We've been over this. I shoot a .243 and 70 grain Hammers too. Better? mtmuley
Just one barrel change? You are not shooting much. To each their own. Been there, done that.

If I want a big KA BOOM, i'll just pour 100 grains of blackpowder into one of these piece of shit muzzleloaders i own and push a 350 grain bullet down the tube.

Just one barrel change? You are not shooting much. To each their own. Been there, done that.
I shoot plenty. I really don't give a flying fornication in a revolving sphere of pastry what you or anybody else thinks about what rifles I use. Thanks for the great advice though. mtmuley

Reactions: DFS
I shoot plenty. I really don't give a flying fornication in a revolving sphere of pastry what you or anybody else thinks about what rifles I use. Thanks for the great advice though. mtmuley

How many rounds you run through a 300 RUM from 1999 before changing the barrel? Just curious. Tell the truth. :ROFLMAO:

How many rounds you run through a 300 RUM from 1999 before changing the barrel? Just curious. Tell the truth. :ROFLMAO:
Didn't keep a round count. I should have. Conservative guess from the powder I've burned, probably 1200. Why the Hell do you care? mtmuley

Didn't keep a round count. I should have. Conservative guess from the powder I've burned, probably 1200. Why the Hell do you care? mtmuley
I don't care, but I find that insanely hard to believe it shot worth a shit for the second half of those shots. Having used a 300 RUM for 20 years, all I can say is maybe expand your horizons..

How many shots per piece of brass and what kind of brass? Just curious to compare your infatuation with my experience using that same cartridge for so long.

I don't care, but I find that insanely hard to believe it shot worth a shit for the second half of those shots. Having used a 300 RUM for 20 years, all I can say is maybe expand your horizons..

How many shots per piece of brass and what kind of brass? Just curious to compare your infatuation with my experience using that same cartridge for so long.
It still shoots MOA. When the Smith pulls the barrel, I'll keep it and take pics. Remington brass. Always. It is all there was when I started, still using it. Have several hundred pieces, a lot of them brand new. 5 firings on some, at max with the powder I use. Still holds a primer. I like the rifle. Familiar and I have confidence in it. There it is. mtmuley

It still shoots MOA. When the Smith pulls the barrel, I'll keep it and take pics. Remington brass. Always. It is all there was when I started, still using it. Have several hundred pieces, a lot of them brand new. 5 firings on some, at max with the powder I use. Still holds a primer. I like the rifle. Familiar and I have confidence in it. There it is. mtmuley
I agree with DFS. Keep doing your thing. I got kicked out of the 300RUM club. I was at the point when I wanted to hand it to my woman, or kids while hunting, it was like now hold on one minute. My sister shot an elk with it, my son once shot at an elk and got scoped, he was like.. WTF is up with this thing?!? :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back