Yeti GOBOX Collection

Utah apps due this month

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you not having access to a calendar, Utah Big Game Applications are due this month. The application period opened today and closes March 1st.

Here is a link to the draw odds for Utah.

Utah Draw Odds

And here is the link to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Hunting Page.

UTDWR Hunting Page

If you fail to buy your license and apply for tags, don't come around here saying nobody told you so. You have now been told.

This is the thread to post your questions, and hopefully guys "In the know" will help out those wanting to learn more about Utah.

Good Luck!

Ok I'm going to be the first dork to ask a question. I'm applying for LE elk. When you get to the units the first category says bonus points and gives you only a first choice option. Then I scroll down to my unit and if I choose it as first choice (which I think I need to do) it will then erase the bonus point option. How do you make sure you are getting your bonus point and applying for the unit at the same time?

Ok I'm going to be the first dork to ask a question. I'm applying for LE elk. When you get to the units the first category says bonus points and gives you only a first choice option. Then I scroll down to my unit and if I choose it as first choice (which I think I need to do) it will then erase the bonus point option. How do you make sure you are getting your bonus point and applying for the unit at the same time?

Unlike Wyoming, Utah gives you a point if you are unsuccessful. The box you are looking at is if you don't want to apply for a hunt, but would like to gain a bonus point for the year.

Big Fin,

If you bought a 365 day license after Feb. 1 last year, has the hunting license requirement been met for applications before your hunting license expires?

I think its that way, because I just applied and it never gave me the option to purchase a 2010 hunting license. It said if the requirement wasnt met it would ask you to purchase one.

I hope so, or I'll be withdrawing my app and starting over.

Fin, you have me concerned.............you say if your unsuccessful in WY you don't get a point?? I thought there was an option to buy a preference point with the application, was like $641 bucks or something?? Hopefully i misunderstood your comment...

Buzz, I got all the way in as well and it only wanted to charge me a $10 app fee. I was expecting that it would prompt me to purchase the license at some point. I did get one last year. So can you tell me how you go about applying for a bonus point along with the unit you want to try for? Does it automatically put you in for a point?

Big Fin,

If you bought a 365 day license after Feb. 1 last year, has the hunting license requirement been met for applications before your hunting license expires?

I think its that way, because I just applied and it never gave me the option to purchase a 2010 hunting license. It said if the requirement wasnt met it would ask you to purchase one.

I hope so, or I'll be withdrawing my app and starting over.

You're golden. One nice thing about Utah is you really only have to buy a license every other year if you purchase it in February and apply the following February prior to it's expiration. That is, of course, unless you actually draw something.

Lawnboy,

If you apply for a permit and are unsuccessful you gain a point, at least I have for the last 11 years of deer and sheep applications.

Thanks Spitz, thats what I thought...in for sheep and deer...points for bison and elk.

You're golden. One nice thing about Utah is you really only have to buy a license every other year if you purchase it in February and apply the following February prior to it's expiration. That is, of course, unless you actually draw something.

I just finished the application and it stated that I already have the license. So I'm assuming that If we were to draw we would then need to buy a new updated license for 2010/2011?

Lawnboy,

According to the Utards on MM...that would be a negative, if you draw a tag you wouldnt need to purchase another hunting license.

I just finished the application and it stated that I already have the license. So I'm assuming that If we were to draw we would then need to buy a new updated license for 2010/2011?

That is correct. Hopefully you have to buy another license soon.

Lawnboy,

According to the Utards on MM...that would be a negative, if you draw a tag you wouldnt need to purchase another hunting license.
If you plan it right you can use the one license for multiple years of apps. But make sure you wait long enough that you can also use that license to validate the expo tags. If you bought a license last year before the 11th then you will need to buy a 2010 license to validate the expo tags for this year. Does that make sense? :confused:

IDB that is exactly what I just logged in to ask. I bought my license on Feb. 1 last year so I was able to buy my raffle tix with that license yesterday. You are certain I will need to buy a new license to validate in person? If so, can I buy it during validation or do I need to have it purchased beforehand. The info on the expo website is confusing. It says you need as a valid license before validating (yesterday was before) but elsewhere it says all you need to validate the just-made purchase is a drivers license in hand...

Thanks.

Lawnboy,

According to the Utards on MM...that would be a negative, if you draw a tag you wouldn't need to purchase another hunting license.

Buzz is correct.

In Utah you DO NOT need a "hunting license" to hunt Big Game. You need it to hunt Small Game and APPLY for a Big Game Permit. The Big Game Permit is all inclusive.
(page 10 of the regs)

If you purchased the License last year, onlline, and it's still valid, the computer will know it and not offer you the opportunity to purchase a new one.

IDB that is exactly what I just logged in to ask. I bought my license on Feb. 1 last year so I was able to buy my raffle tix with that license yesterday. You are certain I will need to buy a new license to validate in person? If so, can I buy it during validation or do I need to have it purchased beforehand. The info on the expo website is confusing. It says you need as a valid license before validating (yesterday was before) but elsewhere it says all you need to validate the just-made purchase is a drivers license in hand...

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you only need a valid license to apply for the raffles. You don't need it to validate. Mine last year expired in January, after I applied for the Expo tags, and I didn't have a valid license when I went to the Expo to validate.

This is my first year to apply for Utah. My question is about Hunter Education.
The regs say I have to provide proof of Hunter's Ed(which I do have) before I can apply, but it doesn't say how a non-res does that.

Since I have not applied, there may be a section on the license application which asks for the state and Hunters Ed # and they simply call and verify. I don't know

Thanks

Also good pointer on spacing out your License to apply for 2 years under 1 license!

Back