PEAX Equipment

I-193 to exempt MT Landowners from elk/deer/bear regs

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on the road for a while, but a friend sent this EQC meeting agenda item to me. If you're a Montana hunter, this should get your attention. It is a proposed ballot initiative that will exempt landowners from hunting regulations during elk, deer, and black bear season.

Link here - https://leg.mt.gov/content/Committe...C_Meetings/2023-Dec-6/I-193-Petition form.pdf

If you want to contact EQC members, here is the webpage. This also contains the "Referral letter" from the person submitting, along with the AG opinion letter of legal sufficiency. EQC web page is here - https://leg.mt.gov/committees/interim/eqc/meeting-info/

The meeting date is December 6. It will be interesting to see who shows up to support this idea.

Key part of the initiative is the Statement of Purpose that I've copied below.

Statement of Purpose and Implication:

I-193 will allow increased hunting opportunities for landowners. If passed, the initiative prohibits hunting regulations that would impose or effect a prohibition on a landowner hunting deer, elk, or black bear on the landowner’s private property during a statewide general hunting season. Landowners would still need to be licensed and follow all hunting laws and regulations pertaining to means of take and bag limits. An exception would allow the Fish and Wildlife Commission to limit this landowner hunting right when wildlife populations are in severe decline due to environmental factors such as disease or drought.

I-193 may result in a decrease in non-resident license revenue; however, that reduction cannot be determined at this time. I-193 will also likely require additional game wardens to administer; however, that cost cannot be determined.

Curious if there is a place to find out who brought this to the EQC as an agenda item? Is it the fellow from Polson referenced in the referral letter?

What would be the implications of this? Like if you had to have a permit to hunt elk you wouldn’t need that anymore?
Right? How could something like this even be legal? Like I understand that if it passed, it would become the law, but wouldn’t it completely contradict the public trust foundation of all of the other wildlife laws that already exist?

Okay, I think I have relatively good reading comprehension but the more I read this the more confused I am.

How can this initiative prohibit any regulation that prohibits a landowner, his guests or lessors from hunting on his private land yet also establishes that all hunter’s hunting said private property must be licensed and abide by bag limitations and season restrictions?

I’m assuming the intent is to allow NR landowners, guests and lessors guaranteed licenses?

But, if they must be licensed and the law caps the number of NR licenses how will everyone be licensed?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back