Travel Trailer

RobG

Hi Folks,
The wife says I'm in the market for a used travel trailer, and to be honest I like them for hunting. My family does not need luxury, but it is nice to be able to cook not huddled over a campstove, and maybe have a card game at a table.

It must be a bumper hitch (no fifth wheel) and on the smaller side. I'm avoiding pop-ups since the wind tore up the one I borrowed from my cousin last year. I need beds for my wife and I and two kids.

I am looking at a comparison of brands. Is there any that are pure junk and should be avoided?

Hi Folks,
The wife says I'm in the market for a used travel trailer, and to be honest I like them for hunting. My family does not need luxury, but it is nice to be able to cook not huddled over a campstove, and maybe have a card game at a table.

It must be a bumper hitch (no fifth wheel) and on the smaller side. I'm avoiding pop-ups since the wind tore up the one I borrowed from my cousin last year. I need beds for my wife and I and two kids.

I am looking at a comparison of brands. Is there any that are pure junk and should be avoided?

If you're looking for used, I would be leery of all of them. They rot and unless you go through it with a fine toothed comb, you'll be inheriting other people's problems.

Bozeman Craigslist is a good source for trailers. Don't be afraid to take someone along who can suss out the damage.

If you are looking for new, the RPods look interesting.

If you're looking for something older and affordable, I'd be way more worried about condition then manufacturer.

We had a 27ft Springdale. Had bunk beds in the back for the kids, they're young, would have been pretty tight for a 12 yo. Queen bed up front. It served us fine. We upgraded to a 32 ft this yr with a slide. We're in it every weekend for 2 mo for baseball. It's snug to get into some spots. The bunk beds are double beds I could sleep on. I'd pour over a used one very carefully. Ask who/how it was winterized, if it was stored covered(if it was less likely to have roof leaks) and such. I love hunting out of the camper vs a tent. Pay attention to fresh water tank and holding tank size. 32 gallons can go fast.

I got really lucky. If you look around you might get lucky and find a deal like I did. I bought a 1997 Mallard in 2004. It had only been used twice by a young couple with two kids, it was like brand new. They decides camping was not for them. They left all the dishes, pots and pans and threw in the weight distributing hitch. 25 feet long, bunk beds in the rear, queen bed in front, no slide out though it would have been nice. Now that the kids are gone it's just my wife and I and the dog. It's a great hunting rig. We love it.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...adventures.com/hunttalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• DSCN0944.jpg
    DSCN0944.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 580
  • DSCN0943.jpg
    DSCN0943.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 532
does it have to be half ton towable? How far are you planning to haul it and over what kind of terrain?

I have been down the road a couple of times of used campers. The last one I bought it took me two years of looking and countless inspections to find THE one I would give up my money for. Water stains on the inside anywere and avoid a purchase unless you are willing to get into a major remodel. Make sure the fridge works, that the holding tanks don't leak, you have adquate fresh water tank and I also install a hot water heater bypass. If your kids are little you can get away with bunks but they outgrow them pretty fast.

Next time I am buying new and getting the one I want 100%.

Nemont

does it have to be half ton towable? How far are you planning to haul it and over what kind of terrain?

I have been down the road a couple of times of used campers. The last one I bought it took me two years of looking and countless inspections to find THE one I would give up my money for. Water stains on the inside anywere and avoid a purchase unless you are willing to get into a major remodel. Make sure the fridge works, that the holding tanks don't leak, you have adquate fresh water tank and I also install a hot water heater bypass. If your kids are little you can get away with bunks but they outgrow them pretty fast.

Next time I am buying new and getting the one I want 100%.

Nemont
I'll be towing with a Ford explorer - most of the smaller trailers were light enough when we looked last year but I forgot the numbers. I want to keep it small as possible so it won't be such a pain to haul around that I don't use it.

Those are good things to look for. I was thinking the bunks would be big enough for a hunter to sleep in, but maybe not. Why would you bypass the hot water heater?

Gotcha. We didn't have the water hooked up when I was hunting in the borrowed one so I can't get my head around the idea of having running hot water. That is probably convenient :D

I suppose it is critical to fill up the water tanks and check for leaks when buying a used one.

Gotcha. We didn't have the water hooked up when I was hunting in the borrowed one so I can't get my head around the idea of having running hot water. That is probably convenient :D

I suppose it is critical to fill up the water tanks and check for leaks when buying a used one.

The hot water is pretty nice to have on hand. Nemont has great advice and yes, I'd check the water system thoroughly along with the electrical (beyond the lights).

We had a cargo trailer converted to a hunting trailer by adding bunks, cabinets, heater, and stove. we have a folding table for dinner. no running water, no toilet, and the lights last 4-6 days on two 6V golf cart batteries. you can haul your 4-wheelers and hose the thing out when it gets dirty.

We have been looking for a good one all summer. I would prefer an A Frame (hard sided) pop up but every one that is decent and the right price that I have found sells before we can get to it. Just turned around from a 4 hour drive to Bend for one that sold while we were enroute.

R-Pods are made here in Western Oregon and are really popular. Not what I want to tow on long hunting trips but wouldn't be bad with a full size truck. The shower in them concerns me though. The walls of the shower are just covered with some wall paper stuff that doesn't even overlap the floor pan. How that doesn't leak from day 1 is beyond me....

The problem is really good quality such as Airstream and Bigfoot are 40K plus!

Good luck on your search.

Check out the water system under pressure and listen for the pump to come on every 10 to 20 minutes. If it does there is a small leak somewhere. Also have the fridge, stove & oven and heater running. If the seller won't do this walk away as they are hiding something. Check the tires for weather checking, the tread could look great and they are a blow out waiting to happen. Next try to determine what the insulation factor is, very important for cold weather hunting. Check if the holding tanks are insulated and/or heated. Tandem axles are easier to pull and are more stable to pull.
Good luck on your search. Be patient and walk away from any deal that is questionable.
Dan

I bought a water damaged 24 footer 2 years ago on Copart, paid $1900.00. I removed the entire inside and insulated, laid 3/4 inch plywood and replaced the linoleum with hardwood flooring. I probably have another $800.00 into the finished trailer. I took it to Colorado last year and it was one of my best trips. When I got tired from the long drive I just slipped back and took a nap. Great having the convenience of a stove, heater and bathroom, not to mention a comfortable bed to sleep on. I do a little trapping here in Pa. and I layered some beaver skins on my bed to make it more comfortable. I'll be taking it out this year in November. Good luck with your search and enjoy.

Me and a bud bought an '84 23 foot fifth wheel for 1800 aqbout 10 years ago...spent about 3K on it , most of which was for a new a/c, during 4 years of deer lease duty. Loved that thing...never pulled it, only worked on it and kept the trailer repair dude commuting. Sold it for 1500. I still like em & rubberneck every one I pass or meet on the hiway.

Like the looks of the RPod but would need more beds for my clan.

Looking at an 18' Jayco Baja, but they screwed up here in Bozeman and the models don't have insulation. Do you guys think it will make much of a difference in the heat of summer or the cold of hunting season?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back