Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tire Ratings

JFish

I’m going to replace the stock tires on my Ram 1500 for some A/T tires. The options I’m looking at have different ratings, and I’m not sure what I will actually need. I mostly drive all highway out East, with occasional dirt roads for hunting and fishing adventures. There are a handful that are all SL rated, and one other set that are XL rated for a similar price. For about $200 more per set are the K02’s wich are D1 rated. Since I’m mostly driving highway will the SLs or XLs serve my purpose or are the K02s worth the extra money?

XL tires will offer some extra strength for sidewall but are considered 4 ply. It's all about weighing options the XL tire will ride better and be lighter (aka better fuel mileage). D offers more plies and better sidewall strength to reduce risk of sidewall punctures. They will be heavier and ride stiffer.

Personally I'd up to D over the SL/XL if there was any option for driving on rocky roads. If you're coming out to CO for a long weekend once every 2 or 3 years then maybe have an extra spare is a better option. Shop around and you may find some D load tires for similar price. I feel the KO2s are good but there are a million other tires that do just a well for less.

I have the KO2 D rated. Great in snow but clog up terribly in mud. Won't buy again.

If you plan on being in terrain where tires will be tested, move up to the D.

I've ran three sets of KO2s land only ever had one time, in eastern MT gumbo, where I had to chain up. They are bulletproof.

After going cheap on the last few things Ive bought and regretting it, I think I’m going to pony up and get the K02s. The Toyos in my size were SL rated and were more expensive, and the other options in my tire size for D rating or higher were about the same price. Thanks for the input all.

In between the two, some manufacturers offer C load tires which I believe are 6 ply equivalent. Could be a good middle ground. I'm looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT for my next set.

In between the two, some manufacturers offer C load tires which I believe are 6 ply equivalent. Could be a good middle ground. I'm looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT for my next set.
I have had Cooper Discoverer variants on 3 different trucks and have been very pleased with them on and off road.

I have run the Cooper AT3's on my pickup for two sets of tires now and they have performed extremely well. I run them on my Ford F150 year round and they are the 10 ply. I think you should consider the 10 ply E rated tires, but its completely up to you. Coopers have been great tires for me.

I'm getting new Cooper's the first of September on my pickup. I'm going with the ST Maxx this year upping it from the AT3's. I want a little more traction in mud and snow and they aren't so aggressive that they are loud on the highway. Good luck in your decision.

Anyone run different tires for hunting season if you're coming from flat country? I'm debating picking up a set of decent E rated tires for our MT trip this fall and just having them swapped out before we leave and we get back. Seems like it be a good idea instead of using the 5 ply Wranglers that are on there now.

But I have no need to run the E rated tires year round and might as well use up the Wranglers until they're no good.

Thoughts?

You won't be sorry you spent a little extra. Have had KO2s on 2 pickups and they are great; smooth and pretty quiet on the highway for an A/T tire. They are rated as an actual snow tire as well. Most are Mud/Snow which is a lesser rating.

Look into Toyo all terrain in a D range (8 ply). You'll thank me!
I am a KO2 guy and have 600 to 700 thousand miles on them over the years with no flats and no issues 3 trucks. My last set of tires I bought the TOYOS AT 10ply have them on now and they are shot but I have over 60,000 on them I think they made a little more noise than the KO2 and they don't grip the streets when its wet as good IMO. I certainly got my monies worth thou

You'll like those tires. They do really well on any surface condition.

Since I’m mostly driving highway will the SLs or XLs serve my purpose or are the K02s worth the extra money?
That all depends on how bad the roads are when you head to the hills. Personally, I use E rated tires all the time. They are heavier, ride a little rougher, and are more expensive. They are also stronger and more resistant to putting a rock through them. The weight of your vehicle plays a big role in this.

I have E load K02s on my Tundra and no complaints when it comes to freeway/highway driving or road noise from me.

I only use E rated tires now too. Only way to get 2 years out of any tire in rural NM...

Back