PEAX Equipment

XL vs LT tires

Tiohunter

I'm starting to look for new tires for my silverado 1500. I've had good luck with the cooper at3's but am considering the copper rugged trek. I can get my factory size in the XL rating, but if I go up a size 10 plys are available. I know the 10 ply is what everyone is going to recommend but it's almost 40 dollar difference in price per tire. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both for a comparison on driving Montana gravel roads.

Just put some cooper at3 LT 10 ply E rating tires on my Titan xd. Very smooth ride and better mpg than the oversized tires the previous owner had on it. I can’t stand flats!

another vote for 10ply. That extra $40 is cheap compared to wasting a day repairing a flat. Or having to buy two new tires because the flat can't be repaired and the remaining axel tire is too worn down to match up with a new tire....

Just put some cooper at3 LT 10 ply E rating tires on my Titan xd. Very smooth ride and better mpg than the oversized tires the previous owner had on it. I can’t stand flats!
That's what I run on my Sierra. They tend to collect stones but everything else performance wise is good.

I think the XL rating is a slight step up from the P rating, but still doesn't hold a candle to a 10 ply tire. If you use your truck offroad and haul things a 10 ply is really the only way to go IMO. You can also adjust the air pressure to soften up the ride around town if you'd like.

yea personally wouldn't even gamble with a passenger car tire if your driving dirt roads all the time. Get an E rated tire and be done with it.
I live on a mequit tree , cactus , rocky ranch , E rated tire or be ready to do some walking, nothing worse then two flats @ same time
get a tire plug kit and a cheap air pump also
my 2ct worth if you ever drive off pavement

I live on a mequit tree , cactus , rocky ranch , E rated tire or be ready to do some walking, nothing worse then two flats @ same time
get a tire plug kit and a cheap air pump also
my 2ct worth if you ever drive off pavement
Yea I have one of those air pumps that plug into the truck with a long enough hose to reach each tire. Comes in handy for more then just your truck tires.

Cooper S/T Maxx, great traction, quiet on highway
I just checked and mine have 20k on them in 2 years and are feeling worn. NM dirt roads.
They are loading with mud recently, like badyears do...
10 ply and 2 flats. Screws and lag bolt.
Rotate and save for new ones. Yikes.
Tires do you no favors, if I can't get to the hwy.

I'm starting to look for new tires for my silverado 1500. I've had good luck with the cooper at3's but am considering the copper rugged trek. I can get my factory size in the XL rating, but if I go up a size 10 plys are available. I know the 10 ply is what everyone is going to recommend but it's almost 40 dollar difference in price per tire. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both for a comparison on driving Montana gravel roads.
Go 10 ply, on one hunt in Montana we had a rented GMC Blazer and my truck woke up to find 3 flat tires on the Blazer after a day of driving on ranch roads. The truck had no issues with 10 ply on the same roads. The old line that the difference between a rental car and a 4 wheel drive is that a rental can go anywhere didn't work we had to buy some tires!

There is a difference in what dirt/gravel roads are made of. If the roads are surfaced with clinker/shale don't even attempt them with XL rated tires. The clinker will cut through them like a knife through warm butter. The blue stuff is much less forgiving than the red. There is a reason the natives used the blue to make arrowheads.
I would never drive our roads without 10 ply tires. I change enough flats as it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back