Time for new tires - best ply and load rating?

Paul in Idaho

It's time for new tires on my truck. I'm trying to decide which load rating and ply count to buy. I hunt some areas where a lot of the roads are covered with sharp rocks. I'm trying to find the balance between puncture prevention of a 10-ply and the quieter ride of a thinner tire.

Those of you that have used both thin and thick-ply tires, how much difference in road noise is there on the highway? I'm leaning toward a 10-ply E load rating, but the 6-ply Goodyear set the truck came with has provided a good ride and handled my rocky roads with no problem so far.

I have also been told that the 10-ply will wear faster. Do you agree?

As far as road noise I think tread pattern is more of an issue than ply. LIL

Yep. The tread pattern is what makes the noise. For the type of driving you are describing, you are going to end up with a noisy tire most likely, because you will want a fairly aggressive tread.

I think that the 10-ply is more for load-bearing capacity. If you put them on a standard truck, I may be wrong, but I'll bet the ride will be terrible.

I would just go with a good quality light truck tire that fits your needs. If the rocks are that bad, you will probably tear up about any tire if you are not extremely conservative with your driving. You are still dealing with rubber, no matter how may layers there are. Sharp stuff is not going to be good for them.

When I used to live near the mountains in NM, I spent lots of time on rocky, crappy, mountain roads. I ran Big O light truck tires with good tread and I never lost one due to the mountain conditions.

Maybe the off-road forums could give you a little more technical advice, as that is what they do all the time.

Good luck with your choice.

I use 10 ply- E load on all of my 16' Tires that carry a load or pull trailers. Did not have good luck with 16"- 6 ply on gravel roads (rock punctures). Used 6 ply on 15" Toyota tires that saw lots of gravel roads, never had a flat! Road noise and tire wear do not concern me, only traction and durability on rocky roads matter. I hate changing flat tires in the dark when trying to get to my hunting location!!

I like my Michelin AT2's. 10 ply load range E with minimal road noise and a 60k mileage warranty.

Pricey though. My 20's on my F-250 are about $350 each.

First and foremost you need to decide what will be the main purpose for the tires. Towing, off road capability, and ride comfort. You can get a tire that will be able to cover all areas good, but will not be specialized in just one area. I have a 2010 Jeep Unlimited and run 295/75/17 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains. They are aggressive patterned for rock/mud etc. Ride is nice but it is a e rated tire. Very stiff sidewalls for towing. The road noise is minimal for this tread pattern but they get louder as they wear. When I rotate them the noise goes away for about 4k miles, then rotate and its gone again. Cost is about 330 a tire.

On my F150 I run 275/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. This is a all terrain tire but still e rated for toying my trailer. Road noise is even less on these tires. The tread pattern allows for a smooth ride over all surfaces but maintain the ability to go thru mud, snow etc. Cost was much less at 230 or so a tire.

I would just look at your budget and start from there. Toyo and Nitto are both great tire brands. I'm not going to push any particular brand, all tires today are pretty good, just think of how you will use them and not break the bank. Good luck on your purchase.

For that last 10 years I have run Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 17" and 16" wheels and had nothing but success on and off road (some of the rockiest roads in the NV desert). They are "D" rating though but great price and tire. Will probably stick with those until I have reason not to.

Have about 40K on some 10 ply Goodyear Wranglers. a size up from the P275 60R 20's that came on my Dodge 1500...not too loud, definitely stiffened the ride, no durability issues. The larger size did impact fuel mileage about -10%.

Have about 40K on some 10 ply Goodyear Wranglers. a size up from the P275 60R 20's that came on my Dodge 1500...not too loud, definitely stiffened the ride, no durability issues. The larger size did impact fuel mileage about -10%.

Which wranglers? I need to get a new set ASAP, and am going back and forth between the duratracs and toyo open country all terrains. Like Paul I'm also going in circles on what ply.

Go with a happy medium. I had 8 ply load range D general grabber AT2 on my last truck for 35k and was happy with them until I sold the truck with plenty of tread left.

I have the Goodyears, they are good but not near the quality of the Toyos. I would go with them.

in regards to flats and flats only.....wouldn't 10 ply tires be the best to protect you from rock punctures?????

I think you need to look at these.. Not saying I know better but 18 years at Discount Tire Co.
You learn a tire is not just a tire anymore.

Bfg all terrain <have then on my truck>

Michelin ltx m/s 2 <the best ride and most quiet>
a little pricy but worth it.

Hankook dynapro atm rf10 <my next tire to try >

Goodyear has the dura wall on a couple <good product>

You know everyone has there own opinion but all my hunting buddy's & construction guy's have went from mudders and all terrains to ltx m/s2 or ltx at2 <Michelin> love the ride . does well in mud and snow off road cond. etc. full depth sipes are a great feature and insane mileage.

Here in Central MT, I see a lot of Yokohama A/T-S and Hankook Dynapro tires. A lot of the agency rigs that run around the Breaks run the Goodyear Duratrac. I'm not sure I see the need for 10 ply but better than the stock tires is a must.

I have Cooper Zeon E load tires and do not like them but luckily they were discontinued. Right now it is a toss up between Yokohama & Hankook for me. The Goodyear Duratrac are a little too agressive and are pretty loud.

Depends what ya do man? Haul a trailer? 4x4ing? Snow? Mud? Rock/mountain terrain?
Are you a highway driver and road hunter?
----------
I have BFG A/T's KO I believe. Side walls used to be junk, but they are much better, this is my second set.
I am a believer that different vehicles will do well and hook up better with different tire types and sizes.

COOPER!
Been running them for years with many a hunt in the bowels of Owyhee County. Not 1 failure.
I have a great hookup for them if you wish. Send me a PM
WD

Like a lot of these guys have said, it just depends on what you want to do with them. I personally just bought a new set of BFG T/A KO's and have been impressed thus far. They are definitely a little tougher than my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors that I wore out. That being said, the Silent Armors are quieter on the highway.

I run these on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and only tow things occasionally. I get them offroad most weekends but this is also my daily driver. I hope that helps.

Oh, and both of these sets are rated for "Severe Conditions" so you won't have to worry about their snow performance.

Lots of ranchers in my area just run cheap retreads on their trucks and seem to do fine running county roads and 2 tracks with plenty of rocks. I haven't' tried them yet but they are tempting because of price alone.

www.treadwright.com

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back