Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tire Ratings

Running a set of KO2's now for the first time ever on a heavy hauler Dodge quad cab diesel. It's been a heavy hauler all it's life 130K on it now. Pull a 10K lb trailer and a bed with 2 ATV's on a deck loaded most of the time. I have always had AT's on the truck (Toyo's 2 sets and a set of Nitto AT's). I wanted a tire that had a better snow/ice rating and when the Nitro's were done I decided to give the new Ko2's a shot. Ive got one trip on them so far (approx 700 miles). My personal observation so far is they are a bit more of a softer ride than both tires I mentioned (little more sidewall flex). I can't give them a full review yet but I do like how quiet they are on the hwy. Not really sure how they will perform or outperform in the wet, snow and ice. Winter is coming. So far I can only compare them to the two different brands I had before "as a tow tire" at this point. I like the ride better, not sure how I feel about additional sidewall flex just yet or if it will be something I will get use to over time (Toyo and Nitto both had very stiff sidewalls). Not sure how tire ware will be as I don't have enough miles to get a sense just yet but so far so good. I can see how they theoretically will outperform in snow and ice just because of tread design over the Toyo and Nitto but yet to be seen. Maybe I will post in January next year and update this thread when I get a winter on them.

Pick a tire e ratted I own ko2s on my hunting truck I love them. Nittos and toyo are are great tires as well never had much luck with cooper but I know plenty of people that have. Pick a class e and you won’t be disappointed.

Ordered up the K02s yesterday. Not a ton of other options in my 20 inch tire size that were D rated or higher. K02s seemed to be the best option. I’m looking forward to comparing them to my stock tires I’ve been running. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Not many true all terrain tires are all that great in mud. If they functioned great in mud, the tread design wouldn’t be conducive to good performance on snow and ice.

My ole 89' Dodge W100 here in PA gets designated studded snow tires in the winter.
We get freezing rain, or in the case of thaw in the day, refreeze at night.
Plus an AT tire is NOT a snow tire.
Durring summer i'm running cheap Ironman ATs.
Due to me not towing i'm running C (6 ply) tires.

For milage on the east side of things the 2 i've seen get the longest wear are the BFGs, and Michelin.
Don't overlook the Michelin as the tread is decieving. Looks more the straight highway tire, but does amazingly well offroad.

The extra plies in the sidewall might mean the difference between a scraped sidewall and continuing down the road (trail) or a ripped open sidewall that will pretty much halt your progress. Heavier duty and extra plies for off-road, and/or towing is best.

Got the K02s on this week and I’m happy with the choice. They look great and ride nice. Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered some mud flaps since I noticed I throw some stones when traveling on gravel. I remember a thread a few months back about people not having mud flaps out west and now I understand why.

Current tire for my diesel is BFG KO2 Baja champion. By far the best tire I have ever owned. Great on pavement snow and mountain roads. Driven on lots of wicked rock roads and never had a flat or puncture. Diesels go through tires fast but these have lasted a long time.

I ran a set of K02's and liked them except for on ice. There they sucked. Snow ok. Mud ok but on ice everyone passed me up. And I let the air down in them so they would grip on ice better. I now have on a set of continental all terrain. The do better on ice but suck in snow.

I’ve had 1 set ko2s and 2 sets of discover ats. I’m about to go back to ko2s this week.

I ran a set of K02's and liked them except for on ice. There they sucked. Snow ok. Mud ok but on ice everyone passed me up. And I let the air down in them so they would grip on ice better. I now have on a set of continental all terrain. The do better on ice but suck in snow.
FWIW, the KO2 comes in two different rubber compounds. One has the Three Peak snow rating and one does not. The one without has a 50k treadwear warranty as I recall. The one that is Three Peak rated has served me very well in snow and ice.

FWIW, the KO2 comes in two different rubber compounds. One has the Three Peak snow rating and one does not. The one without has a 50k treadwear warranty as I recall. The one that is Three Peak rated has served me very well in snow and ice.
Good to know. I must have the non 3 peak rating forsure.

That's good to hear. I just ordered a set of these yesterday to be installed on Tuesday.
The shitty Firestones on my Toyota are wearing out like cheap slippers, so I've been doing a ton of tire research the last few days in anticipation of dropping some cash on a Black Friday sale. The Falken AT3W, as you probably already know, receives a ton of really great reviews. It's one of a few tires on a short list. We'll see what pricing looks like, but from everything I've read I think you'll like them.

The shitty Firestones on my Toyota are wearing out like cheap slippers, so I've been doing a ton of tire research the last few days in anticipation of dropping some cash on a Black Friday sale. The Falken AT3W, as you probably already know, receives a ton of really great reviews. It's one of a few tires on a short list. We'll see what pricing looks like, but from everything I've read I think you'll like them.

I appreciate that. For what it's worth my ford dealer was running some sort of lowest price match thing and they were able to find them for $145/tire. I was leaning toward the KO2's a little bit the price sealed the deal for me. Plus I like the slightly deeper treads black lettering lol.

FYI that's for a 265/70/17 tire

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back