Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Time on my hands, time for a project!!!

SFC B

I have decided that what I really NEED is a coyote gun ;) I want to put one together myself for a reasonable $$$$ so I am now in search of an action. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices in 22-250 .... 1) a Tikka T3X or a 2) Ruger American Predator . If any of you have one or know of one please let me know.

We have multiple Ruger Predators they shoot really well and you don't have to spend a bunch of money, picked up my latest 1 in 250 just for running suppressed for coyotes this year. But I have heard great things with the Tikkas just don't own one.

I have decided that what I really NEED is a coyote gun ;) I want to put one together myself for a reasonable $$$$ so I am now in search of an action. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices in 22-250 .... 1) a Tikka T3X or a 2) Ruger American Predator . If any of you have one or know of one please let me know.
I’d grab a factory tikka 22-250 and run it. Every tikka action that can be found anymore is only $100 less than a complete rifle. Unless you can find a hell of a deal on a used action

We've got a Ruger American .22-250 that lives in the feed truck, SWFA fixed 10x and you're in business. I was really surprised at how well it shot for a $500 rifle. But then again, I'm really liking my new Tikka 6.5 PRC as well. If you're looking to buy and shoot, or buy and build, won't find a ton of better options than the Tikka.

Long story short, if you're looking to buy and shoot - either. If you're looking to buy then build - Tikka.

Just FYI,

Dont overlook a .243. 55 Gr varmint loads go at 4000FPS. Plus ability to shoot heavier loads for deer or Antelope. Its what I use. I have a Tikka and with the 55Gr loads I can shoot 3/4 groups all day long at 200 yards.
Not big on coyote hunting but if I was going to do it, I'd use my 243 with a 75gr V-max or 87gr spire point. As to the rifle, just pick one you like. I'm big on 700 Rem's so 260 I just had done is on a 700 ADL action. 6.5x06 I had done years ago is a 700 BDL, 6.5x55 I had done for my ex wife started out as a Parker-Hale 1200. Action you use mostly depends on what you like!

I third getting a Tikka.

There is a t3x varmint version with a heavier barrel if that's the direction you're going. I don't know what kind of discount you get through Scheels but dealer pricing on them isn't bad at all.

I third getting a Tikka.

There is a t3x varmint version with a heavier barrel if that's the direction you're going. I don't know what kind of discount you get through Scheels but dealer pricing on them isn't bad at all.
We do get a very good discount but I want to go with a chassis. If I can't get an action at a reasonable deal I may consider it. the super varmint is even better but more than I want to spend for sure.

If I end up with a complete rifle, the Bergara B14 HMR may come into play.

Last edited:
Myself, I used a Savage Axis II action for my coyote rifle.
24" E.R. Shaw sporter barrel in 250 Savage.
Redfield Revenge 4-12X40 with Varmint Accuranger reticle.
75gr Sierra HP Varminter over a fairly low charge of Alliant Varmint nets me just over 3,100fps.

But same rifle killed 2 deer for the freezer also.

I built out a Predator in 6.5 manbun. Cut the barrel down to 16.5” and threaded, Timney trigger and tried out a Magpul Hunter stock before switching to a laminate stock from Stocky’s that required some fitting and bedding. It was fun and is a unique rifle that gets lots of questions. The magazine is still a weak link.

Realistically I could have bought a Tikka and just cut it down and left everything else and had a similar rifle with a better action and magazine.

I do believe the newer Americans have an upgraded mag system and now B&C makes a stock for them as well.
IMG_4793.png

I’d actually prefer a AR platform for yote hunting but I’ve never actually called one in and have always just shot them with whatever I had with me. 😂

I've got a couple of KRG chassis and like them, to further muddy the waters take a look at the XLR Element 4.0 as well if you go with a chassis setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back