MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.338-06 Build Completed

Sheltowee

Hi all,

I've mentioned a few times on here the .338-06 project I've been working on. It finally came home from the smith today. Components include Tikka T3X action, 22" Lilja sporter contour barrel, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Mountain Tactical pic rail, RedSnake Tactical AICS bottom metal, MDT AICS long action mag and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 on top, all put together by Richie at High Tech Custom Rifles in Colorado Springs.

IMG_2953.jpg

I've seen that several of y'all tote a .338-06. I've accumulated a small stockpile of H4350, Varget, H4831SC, AA 4350 and a few other powders. Plan is to shoot 210gr. Barnes TTSXs or 200gr. Nosler Accubonds. Any of y'all have favorite recipes, tips, tricks, etc. for this pretty cool cartridge?

I like mine but don't hunt it often enough. I had good luck 210 accubonds and H4350. Swift Siracco and Partitions also shot well with same combo.

Wow! beautiful rifle! What did the weight come out to?

So far I’ve done load development for mine with the 185gr and 210gr TTSX and Varget with good results on target and on a couple of whitetail does. I need to run these loads over a chrono though as that will be the deciding factor on which I stick with.

If I remember correctly running estimates through Hornady’s software, both bullets run out of steam about 400 yards, but one was just slowing down a touch more than the other. Just can’t remember which. I think the 210 grain is the winner for this cartridge, but the higher velocity requirement of these Barnes does throw a curve into it.

I gotta know. Why the extended mag box? mtmuley
So, that is the one item I don't love about it. I do not like the OEM plastic Tikka mags and I really don't like the standard bottom metal magazine release, especially with gloved hands. I wanted to switch to AICS-compatible bottom metal and Red Snake recommended the MDT AICS magazine. Believe it or not, that is only a 5-round capacity mag. I might try to find an AICS mag that is a little closer to flush fit but that might not be compatible with the paddle mag release.

So, that is the one item I don't love about it. I do not like the OEM plastic Tikka mags and I really don't like the standard bottom metal magazine release, especially with gloved hands. I wanted to switch to AICS-compatible bottom metal and Red Snake recommended the MDT AICS magazine. Believe it or not, that is only a 5-round capacity mag. I might try to find an AICS mag that is a little closer to flush fit but that might not be compatible with the paddle mag release.
Interesting. I couldn't deal with that magazine. Good choice of barrel. mtmuley

What's the OAL of that mag? I know 338-06s are SAAMIfied at 3.440" which normally makes it a horrible option for Tikkas.

Last edited:
Wow! beautiful rifle! What did the weight come out to?

So far I’ve done load development for mine with the 185gr and 210gr TTSX and Varget with good results on target and on a couple of whitetail does. I need to run these loads over a chrono though as that will be the deciding factor on which I stick with.

If I remember correctly running estimates through Hornady’s software, both bullets run out of steam about 400 yards, but one was just slowing down a touch more than the other. Just can’t remember which. I think the 210 grain is the winner for this cartridge, but the higher velocity requirement of these Barnes does throw a curve into it.
Thanks for the tips. I didn't put the finished product on a scale yet but I would be shocked if it makes 7lbs scoped.

Nice build h4350 and a 200-225 grain bullet always worked well for me in the few I had. With that Mesa stock you are definitely going to know when the trigger breaks

Nice rifle there ! The 338-06 is a versatile and efficient cartridge and 30-06 brass everywhere. We put one together a few years ago in the garage with a Midway barrel and a clunky Mauser action. 225 gr. SST Bullets and IMR 4064 Good velocity and accurate ! That will be a nice Mtn rifle, mine weighs about as much as an old Chevy bumper 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back