PEAX Equipment

Time on my hands, time for a project!!!

I have decided that what I really NEED is a coyote gun ;) I want to put one together myself for a reasonable $$$$ so I am now in search of an action. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices in 22-250 .... 1) a Tikka T3X or a 2) Ruger American Predator . If any of you have one or know of one please let me know.
But wait, I’d reckon you already have a DPMS Gen 1-type lower. Bear Creek has 22-250 with side charging too for couple hundred.

I have a load that pushes an 80gr hammer at 3800 fps and yes I can use it for elk, and have.
https://hammerbullets.com/product/243-80gr-hammer-hunter/
I'm just shy of 3500 fps with the 88 hammer in my 6mm AI.
Sorry, off track from the OP.
For a coyote gun that is going in a chassis, I would probably do the American. I prefer tikkas, but are probably cost prohibitive in this situation. If just buying a complete gun I'd go tikka.

We do get a very good discount but I want to go with a chassis. If I can't get an action at a reasonable deal I may consider it. the super varmint is even better but more than I want to spend for sure.

If I end up with a complete rifle, the Bergara B14 HMR may come into play.

Agree with @brockel's input. Only way you find a tikka action to use as a base that is much better than buying a new rifle is if you come across someone who doesn't know what the market rate is for their tikka action. Especially if you get a discount, you can probably get a whole rifle for market rate for action.

I did a 6 creedmoor tikka this spring. There are new stainless 6.5 creed tikkas available online for $725 and that is what I used as the basis for the build. Had it shipped to a smith to pull the new factory barrel and put a 6 creed tube on it and threw it all in a bravo chassis.

I'm sure the rugers work fine but after a guy has "nice" rifles it can be hard to be satisfied with the rougher/cheaper ones.

Edit to add: there's always a chance you could come across someone organically who bought a tikka for $450 15 years ago that they dont use and would be happy to offload it for what they paid or less. Its probably easier for someone in your job to come across such a person. But anyone who thinks to sell one online and looks up what the going prices are will probably ask $600ish or more.

Last edited:
Also tikka is FINALLY fixing the twist rate on their 243s and going with an 8” twist. That’s on my short list of rifles to own.
If only they’d get with the times and move their 7s and all 30s to proper twists. 1-9 minimum (preferably 1-8) for the 7s and 1-10 minimum for 30s

Edit to add: there's always a chance you could come across someone organically who bought a tikka for $450 15 years ago that they dont use and would be happy to offload it for what they paid or less. Its probably easier for someone in your job to come across such a person. But anyone who thinks to sell one online and looks up what the going prices are will probably ask $600ish or more.

Ha - I bought a Tikka when they first hit the US. I can't remember the exact price - but it was less than 400. 330 if memory serves. It has piled up a ton of critters in the last 20 years. Not for sale though :)

Ha - I bought a Tikka when they first hit the US. I can't remember the exact price - but it was less than 400. 330 if memory serves. It has piled up a ton of critters in the last 20 years. Not for sale though :)

I well remember buying a m700 ADL in 2005 over a tikka that was in that same $3XX range because "'merica > euro plastic". I should sell that m700 but its just not worth much so haven't taken the time! I'd still be using the tikka action today if I had made that choice.

I well remember buying a m700 ADL in 2005 over a tikka that was in that same $3XX range because "'merica > euro plastic". I should sell that m700 but its just not worth much so haven't taken the time! I'd still be using the tikka action today if I had made that choice.
I picked up a Tikka and checked it out 20 some years ago. Put the plastic thing right back. Never got over the cheap feel. How much for the ADL? mtmuley

I picked up a Tikka and checked it out 20 some years ago. Put the plastic thing right back. Never got over the cheap feel. How much for the ADL? mtmuley

With the 3-9 nikon prostaff included, $300+ shipping seems reasonable? It's a .270. wild guess of about 200 rounds down the tube. Had a gunsmith do a little work on the factory trigger is all that's been done.

With the 3-9 nikon prostaff included, $300+ shipping seems reasonable? It's a .270. wild guess of about 200 rounds down the tube. Had a gunsmith do a little work on the factory trigger is all that's been done.
I was kidding. Don't really need it. Bare actions are more than $300 I think. Great deal. mtmuley

I've got a RA Predator in a Magpul stock chambered in 6mm Creedmor.
It's a new rifle to me but so far it's a shooter with Hornady match ammo.
For the money I'd buy another one.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back