Tikka T3 Question

They are good guns out of the box, I bought my wife one in 7mm-08 several years ago. Shoots great with the plastic stock though, trigger adjusts down to a little over 2lbs. Shoots 140 TTSX’s reasonably well (close 1 MOA) and I’ve loaded it with 110 TTSX’s for a very low recoil/inside 300 yard load for kids. Shoots 162ELD-x’s lights out but recoil is more than my wife cares for.

If T3 ditto the remark about recoil lug. As for stock, while I find the fit and feel a bit odd my son-in-law likes it - and they are definitely stiffer than standard Tupperware plastic stocks. B&C and AG Carbon make good replacements at different price points respectively. Of the 6 tikkas I load for - 5 of them shoot a range of monos well (mostly TTSX) 1 was picky but loved Hammers. It was the 7mm08 and it pushes the 134 Hammer Hunters at 2950fps with Varget - would definitely start there if handloading.

I have 2 - one in 300WSM and another that I bought recently for my son in 6.5CM. Both are sub-MOA shooters right out of the box. I put a B&C stock on the 300WSM - mostly because I got a good deal on a used one, not because the original stock was that bad. I did add a limbsaver pad to the original stock since the 300WSM kicked like a mule with the lighter stock.

I am having issues with the 6.5CM not likely Nosler ammo. Headspace issue. I’m waiting for some replacement ammo from Nosler to see if it was just a bad batch or the action is too tight. Federal ammo cycles just fine and shoots sub-MOA.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Hope he enjoys it.

This is what I picked up our of our shop. Having handled and shot all the major brands we carry I find this platform to be the best value by far.....not so close second being the browning x bolts. This is what I just bought in 300 wm. The rail is from Mountain Tactical and I got the vertical grip. barreled action is getting cerakoted. This is the Roughtech model and the scope is a big upgrade. I can't wait to shoot. BTW, earlier this year at the long range shoot we did with Vortex I used a T3 precision cold to shoot a 1.5 in group @ 450 yds to win a scope.

BTW, that rail has an integral stud to fit in the top of the receiver.

Attachments

• 20210730_210429.jpg
    20210730_210429.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210731_141731.jpg
    20210731_141731.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
I am having issues with the 6.5CM not likely Nosler ammo. Headspace issue. I’m waiting for some replacement ammo from Nosler to see if it was just a bad batch or the action is too tight. Federal ammo cycles just fine and shoots sub-MOA.
I had similar issues with 6.5cm Nosler and both a Savage and a Bergara Premier -- some boxes were fine, some not. I found similar comments on other forums. While I generally think well of Nosler, they seem to be having some manufacturing control problems in the manbun dept.

They are great guns, I have three and love them, but the safety concern is real. It is VERY easy to bump the safety off. It happens very frequently to me, so often that for the first time in almost 40 years of hunting I am not comfortable having a round chambered. No biggie though, just chamber a round before you might shoot, you won't need the extra shot anyway with these rifles.

Three Tikkas in our house and all 3 shoot very well.... All three have mountain tactical 20moa rails and burris rings..

I have a 7 year old T3 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. Shoots fantastic for a $750 dollar buy.

Stock magazines are plastic and there have been durability complaints, but I have not had any issues. There are some aftermarket metal magazines, but I have not needed them. I have had zero mechanical issues. I added a Limbsaver pad on mine. Took what I perceived to be 25% of the felt recoil out, but with a 7-08 I might not add it.

Really likes Federal Premiums with Nosler Partitions better than any other round I have put through it. But I probably only tried 3 other factory loads before stopping with the NP.

The Hunter has the "wood" stock, which is definitely not the the prettiest and but fits me pretty well. Might replace it if I was using this rifle on regular basis, but it's only use is a week per year in the west. Not an allowed caliber for whitetails here in Indiana.

I own 2 t3's. One is a 7mm-08. Ive had it since 2010. It is a fantastic rifle. The other is a custom 300wm I built off a tikka action. It's an amazing rifle too. Tikka makes the best off the shelf rifles out there IMO.

Buddy found a new in box Tikka T3 in a 7-08 and I had him pick it up for my youngest nephew, paid $625 for it. He's been slumming a family .243 for the last few years and was time to get him his own rifle.

Not familiar with Tikka's but I like the rifle, haven't shot it yet.

Anything anyone wants to share about them, good, bad, indifferent...I'm listening.
I like em. I have a superlite in 08 and an original T3 in 300 short I just picked up. I'm not a huge fan of the safety or closed action, those aside... have the 08 dialed in with 140 gn accubonds and biggame. That's a good buy...

I have a Tikka in 30-06. Very accurate. I don’t mind the stock. That’ll be a great gun for your nephew.
I’m the same. Factory T3 SS 30-06. Very accurate, and light without being uncomfortable or unsteady to shoot. The factory stock on my T3 fits me well, but I did some textured spray painting on it for a bit more grip, and replaced the terrible factory recoil pad. I understand that the T3x fixed these issues.

I like mine. Do a real good disassembly of the bolt and clean the crud out of there. Mine is in a Bell and Carlson stock now, which adds a bit of weight, but I do like it alot better than the factory stock. I also replaced the trigger guard with a bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works, which I like alot. I don't think either of those upgrades are truly neccessary, though. Most seem to shoot well right out of the box. Lucky kid!

Last edited:
I have a Tikka T3 wood stock .243. I don't shoot it often enough, because every time I do my first thought is that I should shoot it more. Light and accurate, and I like the wood stock too.

We have two. One required a new aftermarket stock to shoot even close to moa. The recoil lug simply wouldn't fit into the factory stock correctly.

Buzz, I think you are good to just take that thing out and shoot it. I would ditch the factory rings, and do Talley Lightweights, Simms makes a aftermarket recoil pad that was much better than the early T3's which is what I have. I also have a 7mm Rem Mag; which is a different beast from that 7mm-08.

If you have a inclination to tinker, the B&C stock is great upgrade definitely changed the recoil impulse for the better, and the new recoil lug and steel bottom metal from Mountain Tactical seemed to stiffen my rifle up, but I cannot say really effected the accuracy (mine already shoots better than I do....) I also added a metal bolt shroud with a cool rams head engraved on it and a new bolt handle for no real practical reason....

I have a Tika in 7mm-08 as well. The plastic stock feels a little cheap, but that is my only complaint. The recoil is wonderfully mild, the trigger is crisp, and the ballistics are wonderful. I think you will wind up buying one for each kid. ;)

Buddy found a new in box Tikka T3 in a 7-08 and I had him pick it up for my youngest nephew, paid $625 for it. He's been slumming a family .243 for the last few years and was time to get him his own rifle.

Not familiar with Tikka's but I like the rifle, haven't shot it yet.

Anything anyone wants to share about them, good, bad, indifferent...I'm listening.

Another Tikka fan here!

My T3X 7mm-08 loves Nosler Trophy Grade 140 AB. It's definitely not the prettiest gun in the world, but it fits the bill for everything I need it to do.

I have shot quarter inch groups with my 30/06 with Barnes factory ammo. I was astounded. There is a picture somewhere on this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back